1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the use of a VGA to DVI adapter?

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by Kaistar, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Okay, so the VGA to DVI adapter is an adapter. But does that mean that I can get the benefits of using a DVI even though my laptop only has a VGA output?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Nope. That's just a cable adapter, not a signal converter.

3. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Thanks! I was checking online but couldn't really find anything on it. Is there a signal converter then?

4. Digerati

Probably - depends on what, specifically you want to do. But if you have a monitor that supports digital inputs, the best thing to do is get a graphics card that has digital outputs - via DVI or HDMI connectors on newer hardware.

5. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Well the problem here is that I'm using a laptop that only supports VGA and S-Video.

Speaking of S-Video... Is it any better than VGA?

6. Digerati

And what? You are trying send the video to a digital monitor?

Speaking of S-Video... Is it any better than VGA? If the monitor supports it, yes.

7. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

S-Video is better than VGA? Any specific reasons why? I googled and there are people arguing both sides but I'm lost with it.

Well the monitor I'm getting supports VGA and DVI input support so I was just wondering what's the best way to get the best picture on it.

8. Digerati

It depends on the monitor or TV. With a TV, S-Video is probably better. With a monitor, probably VGA. But both are obsolete so moot points. You need a graphics card with DVI out to get the best picture from a digital monitor.

9. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

If you can happen to find a video converter then DVI is suppose to be better but like Digerati said the adapter allows a different connection; it is still analog that put out from your computer.

10. Digerati

It would be silly to get a converter when there are many graphics cards in all budget levels that support digital.

11. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Here comes another question that I couldn't answer even after trawling Google. Will I be able to view 720p and 1080p videos at its optimum quality if I'm using VGA? And yeah the monitor supports HD.

12. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

No would be my guess. I think high def is digital only and 720/1080p are high def. You would still be able to watch it (I think) but w/out HD signal it wouldn't be optimal. The best pic would actually be from the best signal (as well as monitor) and that would be HDMI. Those are actually huge sizes and if you show them at full size (100%) you would probably see some distortion when using VGA.

13. Digerati

You really need to stop asking hypothetical questions. What, exactly are you trying to do and with what, by maker and model number, hardware?

VGA is not high def, and cannot be converted to high def.

14. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

I've a dell vostro 1500 and it only has s-video and vga output and I'm getting a dell 2209wa monitor. Trying to figure out the best way to use them.

15. Digerati

I think you are wasting your money on that monitor. You will never see it's full potential until you get a computer that supports digital. If that is not in the budget, there are many much less expensive 22" monitors that better match your notebook's features.

16. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Oh bummer. Well, thanks for the info. I'll be more careful the next time I make a purchase.

Main reason I got that was because it's an e-IPS panel in comparison to other more common TN panels. But it is quite a dampener that I won't be able to fully utilize it. Oh well.

17. Digerati

All the more reason to start budgeting for a PC. Of course that's the big advantage to PCs over notebooks. With a PC you just upgrade to a new graphics card. With notebooks, there is no such luxury.

18. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Yeah I'm beginning to budget for a DIY PC, but I'm predicting it'll probably come to life about 2011 or so. Lol. My laptop's supposed to last my Uni period lol.

19. Digerati

Well, I am sure your monitor will last that long - and I am sure it will still look good in analog, until you finish school and get a job - those are your priorities now anyway, I would think. Good luck with that - it will be worth the effort.

20. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Thanks for the well wishes. I've been writing for my campus paper (my major is journalism) and boy oh boy am I glad to have picked this major. Very... people based. Even though the pay's low, still kicks ass