1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIOS Issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by seywar, Mar 28, 2009.

1. seywar

seywar Techie7 New Member

Hello,
    I wish to upgrade my bios firmware, can you help me find the firmware to do this with?
    D-A-L System Scanner results: Sample template for the DAL Scanner

Thanks,
    Seywar

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Well, I am not having a lot of luck finding your exact motherboard model - as it points to 3 MSI boards using same Via 8237 chipset - see Results for MS7061. The MSI site was no help. :) You may need to visually inspect the motherboard for any identifying marks.

I should ask, why do you feel you need to do this? Typically, you should not mess with flashing the BIOS unless the new version (1) addresses a problem or compatibility issue with new hardware, (2) it addresses a security concern, or (3) the current one is corrupt and a reset does not fix it.

3. seywar

I am hoping that a new version of the firmware will address a issue that I have having with using a USB keyboard in DOS, By doing a scan of my BIOS I have found this: W7061VMS V3.2 072804 15:03:47 - 6.00 PG

Thanks,
    Seywar

4. PcTestCard.com

PcTestCard.com Established Techie7 Member

Normally, flashing the Bios without professional skills is not recommended.
    But if you insist doing so, I would suggest you backup your original Bios before flashing to the downloaded new version.
    Hope you understand the the wrong version Bios may kill your mobo.

Hope this helps!
    Bill

5. seywar

My mobo is: KM3M-V and i aparently already have the latest bios FW, any ideas how I can use my USB keyboard in DOS?

Thanks,
    Seywar

6. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Good thing you checked in here first. The BIOS does not care about operating systems - the BIOS only cares about establishing communications between the different I/O devices integrated across the motherboard - and this is done early on in the boot process, BEFORE any boot disk is touched. So, if the motherboard has USB ports, all you need to do is make sure they are enabled in the BIOS Setup Menu.

THEN what you need is DOS drivers for those USB controllers on the motherboard, and the USB devices attached to those ports - and a quick USB keyboard with DOS - Google Search shows you have some options that might help. Check them out, and if you have a specific question, we'll see if we can help.