1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Batteries

Discussion in 'Technical Discussions' started by jephree, Mar 4, 2009.

1. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

NVIDIA Intros GeForce GTX 200M and GTS 100M GPUs - HotHardware

excerpts

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

This actually gives me concern. These marketing people continue to push for more power in smaller cases. That's fine, but tiny cases do NOT support large fans and lots of cool air flow. Tiny notebook cases do NOT allow users to pop off a panel for NECESSARY cleaning of heat trapping dust and dirt that's been sucked in by the (tiny) fans.

Notebooks are for people who travel, or who need to lock their computers in a drawer each night - not for serious gaming of the latest 3D animated offerings.

And in their strive to make the neatest, lightest, thinest notebook, notebooks continue to be an expensive, proprietary nightmare for users come maintenance and repair time. Not the "dream machine" most folks were thinking about when they shelled out all that cash buy it.

JMHO.

3. jephree

Fast Recharge Battery

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Battery that 'charges in seconds'
    Battery that 'charges in seconds'

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Re: Fast Recharge Battery

Advances in battery technology over the last 20 years has been amazing, and with the ultimate goal of being independent of "foreign oil", I expect to see even greater advances in the next 20, if I live that long. Fuel-cell technology is coming to notebooks - with batteries that have run times in the decades - not hours before refills.

5. dobhar

dobhar Technical Guest

What uses the most battery power on a Laptop...

From Windows Tips & Tricks Newsletter...

Q. What uses the most battery power on my laptop?[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]John Savill
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The LCD display. In fact, almost half the power in most laptops is used by the screen, which is why dimming your screen can save you a lot of battery life. Below is a list of the major power consumers on your laptop. This list also applies to desktop computers, other than the screen figure. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]LCD: 43%[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Chipset: 21%[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Processor: 9%[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Graphics: 8%[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Hard Drive: 5%[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Network: 4%[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Other bits: 10%[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Obviously different systems will vary based on their components, but this gives a rough idea of where that battery power goes[/FONT]

6. jephree

I have merged three threads here regarding laptops and their batteries.

As seen there is information on the latest battery technology and also on present day battery usage.

Added is the GPU section which will increase battery demand on the GPU.

Anyway just thought it would provide a platform for discussion in this area.