1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading OS on mac

Discussion in 'Alternative Operating System Help' started by adam 60, Sep 1, 2008.

1. adam 60

adam 60 Techie7 New Member

Hi! I have an old laptop which runs on OS 10.2.8, but my printer needs at least OS 10.3.9 to work on - is there any way I can get this OS onto the laptop?

Any help on this one much appreciated.

2. rokytnji

rokytnji Dedicated Member

As the previous responder said, you cannot download Mac OS software. You have to purchase the install disks. You purchase universal install disks guaranteed to install from applerescue. Please note that Computer specific or upgrade versions should be avoided since they are optimized for the computer to which they are specific and will therefore, very likely, cause problems during or after installation. On the legal side, it may be a violation of the Software License Agreement which states

This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single computer at a time. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time...

The best way to obtain the system software may be to call Apple at the Legacy number, provide the serial number of the iBook, and ask if the system CD's are available. If they are, Apple will send them to you (for a fee).

Or you can go Linux, But you will have to learn how to install printer into Linux.

3. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Dedicated Member

as the licenece agreements for mac are different to windows, you can buy the os on ebay.
    i bought panther about a year ago for £28, so prices will probably have dropped by now :)