1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

local connection only?

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by mitch24, Aug 9, 2008.

1. mitch24

mitch24 Techie7 New Member

we have a dsl modem and router one computer is plugged directly in to the router and the other computer is wireless and so is our xbox. when some one plays xbox the router stops broadcasting or something and it switches to local connection only or at least thats what it says on the wireless computer so it makes it so that the xbox and wireless computer go off line and cant connect until i un plug and plug back in the router is there any way to fix this

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Do you mean as soon as they power up and attempt to connect? Or randomly, all of a sudden, in the middle of game play?

When this happens, can the computer that is connected to the router directly via Ethernet still access the Internet with no problems?

Unfortunately, you told us nothing of your router! I am guessing you have a wireless router and not separate components. That said, I will take this moment ensure there is no confusion and clarify some terminology. Data can be "broadcasted" over the air (as sound, light, or radio waves), wire (Ethernet), or light in fiber optics. So we need to make sure you mean only the wireless side stop working.

Also, a wireless router is really 3 discreet networking devices jammed into one case.
    1. The "router" - a device to connect two networks (the Internet and everything on your side of the router)
    2. Switch (or smart hub) - typically a 4-port 10/100 Ethernet switch
    3. Wireless access point (WAP)
    and some may also have
    4. Print server​
    If your Ethernet connected PC can access the Internet, then the WAP side is having problems. Make sure the setup menu has not been set to limit the number of connections.

I think you should check your router maker's website too - there may be a FAQ or knowledge base article on this problem. There may also be a firmware update/fix available.

3. mitch24

sorry for no detail.. in the middle of game play or when im not even on xbox it just stops randomly until i turn it off and back on but some times it will stop 5 min later and im sure it just stops broadcasting wireless because we can still use the internet thats plugged in using ethernet and yes its just modem and wrieless router nothing else the wireless computer and xbox have wireless network adapters

4. Digerati

Well, it sure points to the WAP side of the router so my suggestions from above still stand.

5. mitch24

so the routers bad i mean weve had it for about 3 years..... would a new one fix the problem

6. Digerati

How do you know?

7. mitch24

no i mean your implying that the routers bad?

8. Digerati

I am suggesting there is a problem with the wireless side of the router. I said earlier,
    What model is your router?

9. mitch24

netgear 108 mbps wireless firewall router WGT624 V3

10. Digerati

According to this page, there have been several Firmware updates, with the most recent, V 2.0.26_1.01 NA, dated Apr 15, 2008.

Note this is for North America and for V3 ONLY, so make sure you get the correct one, and follow the instructions provided.

11. mitch24

ok thanks

12. mitch24

i just need to do the latest one right? the latest one would have all the rest in it

13. Digerati

Yes, as long as it is for your region and version number.

Make sure you follow the instructions carefully. If your Ethernet devices are unable to connect after the upgrade, power down AND UNPLUG the computer for about 30 - 60 seconds. This will ensure ATX Form Factor required +5Vsb standby voltages are complete removed from the PCI bus. Then upon reboot, the re-powered network adapter will signal its presence to the router, which will reassign the IP address.

If it still fails, unplug the router, the gateway (your cable/DSL modem) and computers. After one minute, plug in the gateway and wait for the lights to settle down. Then the router, and finally the computers.

14. mitch24

they should all work for vista also right

15. Digerati

Does not matter - it is not running on your machine, but in the router.

16. mitch24

yeah that worked and it also has an option so i can make my xbox live nat open.........yay

17. Digerati

Great! So all is good now?

18. mitch24

yes never kicks anyone off every things great thanks

19. Digerati

Great. Thanks for the followup.