1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAT32 Drive Convert Problems

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by terry29946, May 1, 2008.

1. terry29946

terry29946 Techie7 New Member

I also have this same problem. I had Maxtor 160GB Fat32 drive which I changed to NTFS using Maxtor Maxblast. But now I can't copy properly - small files seem to OK but when I try and copy a lot it just freezes. I've done a scandisk (XP equivalent) which completes OK but now Maxblast hangs on this drive. I've tried deleting the partition and formatting the drive via disk management in XP but I just get a hang. Any Ideas

2. AphJN

AphJN Dedicated Member

Re: Second Hard Drive Won't Format

Make sure you have all your updates because there are some problems with XP pre-SP2 with drives over 160GB.

3. terry29946

Re: Second Hard Drive Won't Format

Thanks but my system is bang up to date as of last night. I tried to delete the partition and Disk Manager froze so I unplugged the drive and booted up then closed down, plugged in the drive and the system found a new drive so I formatted it in NTFS using Disk Manager and all looked good but when I tried to run a backup (just a big file copy) the backup programme froze and I'm back to where I was. Looks like the drive is defective.

4. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

I have split this thread into a new one, since the last was 3 years old.

It does sound like this is drive problem, but I have a couple questions first.

What OS are you using?

After you deleted and recreated the partitions, did you do a full format?

If me, I would format again, using Windows format and not maxblast. If it completes, then go run chkdks /r on it - note the space before the "/" - this can take several hours to complete. I might even go out and download and run Maxtors drive diagnostics tool, PowerMax.

5. terry29946

Thanks for the interest. I did eventally manage to delete the logical partion and reformatted using Windows (XP) but when I tried my large backup it eventually hung. I haven't managed to repeat this (delete partion, etc) as Disk Manager hangs but I can still read and write smallish files OK. I'm going to download Maxtors diagnostics and see if that shows anything.

6. terry29946

I downloaded Seagate's (Maxtor's) diagnostic, SeaTools for Windows, and both the short and long drive self test passed! So perhaps the drive is OK. Run out of ideas.

7. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

8. terry29946

Sorry for the delay but I've been away for a few days. Thanks for Killdisk. I used it to clear the drive then allocated a partition and formatted it (NTFS) using Windows disk management but when I tried copying "My documents" (54 Gb) the system froze half way through. So I repeated the Killdisc clear but then formatted the drive back to FAT32 using Maxblast and now I can copy "My documents" OK - weird? I also ran Seatools for Windows on the drive and the S.M.A.R.T. check fails ( but it also fails on my other good disk, I've looked in the BIOS but can't find and mention of S.M.A.R.T.) but the long and short self test and the long and short generic test all pass! I'm confused.

9. Digerati

That is weird. But the drive sounds like it is fine so I think I would try it again - going with NTFS is worth it - you apparently have a good backup system that works, so what's to lose, but a little time? Is this a second hard drive on that system? What is the drive setup?

From where to where? And how? Problems copying monster files may not have anything to do hard drive problems. If you format a drive to NTFS with no errors, the drive should be good. After that, it is controller (motherboard), driver and/or OS issues.

I would try again, and before attempting to copy monster files over - see if you can use the drive - copy some tunes over and see if you can play them or something - create a Word doc and save there, then double click on it and see if it opens. If it works, I don't think the drive is the problem.

What is the make and model number of your motherboard?

10. terry29946

The troublesome drive is the D: drive which is there only to back up the C: drive and I also have an external drive for extra backup. I've dropped Maxtor a note as it's still in warranty - hope they say it's broke and to return it for exchange!!!!!????

11. terry29946

Sorry, didn't read the rest of your post. I can store and read files from the drive with no problems, it just hangs when I do a big copy. The motherboard in brand new WinFast 6150M2MA with AMD dual core. This drive was in an old Windows 98SE system, which is why it was FAT32, but I upgraded the m/b and tried to change to NTFS. The C: drive is a new Samsung 200Gb.

12. Digerati

Keep us posted!

13. terry29946

Sorry didn't read the rest of your post. I can write and read individual files OK on that drive, it just hangs when I do a big copy. The drive (which is a SATA drive) used to be in an old Windows 98SE set-up but I upgraded to a brand new motherboard, Winfast 6150M2MA with AMD dual core and then tried to reformat to NTFS. This drive is the D: drive which I use to backup the C: drive, a Samsumg 200GB. I also back up on an external drive.

14. Digerati

Thanks - I have never tried to format an SATA to FAT-32 - I will be interesting to see what Seagate says.

15. terry29946

At last a satisfactory ending to my problems. I returned the drive to Saegate/Maxtor and I've just received a replacement which works just fine. Thanks for your input.

16. Digerati

Worth a try!