1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lousy Unstable XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Digerati, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Not really! ;)

I just wanted to boast a little and show if left alone, XP is extremely stable and keeps on chugging!

I have my dad's 6 year old, AMD XP2500+, BOINC cruncher that refuses to die. It runs 24/7 with 100% CPU utilization 100% of the time. Microsoft has a neat little command line program called Uptime for NT - but it works fine on XP too. It will tell you how long your system has been up.

[​IMG]

101 Days! :21::21::21:

But, :(, the last round of Windows Updates wants a reboot - so it keeps yelling at me so it can complete.

If interested in that Uptime program, I recommend you make a shortcut to run it - it's a lot easier that way. I have an Uptime shortcut on my QuickLaunch toolbar.

To make your own,
    • Save uptime.exe to the c:\windows\system32 folder on your boot drive (use correct path if not defaults)
    • Right click on bare Desktop and select: New > Shortcut
    • In "Type the location of the item:" enter (or cut from here and paste): C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cmd.exe /k uptime.exe
    • Click Next
    • In the Name text box, enter an appropriate name, such as: Uptime
    • Click "Finish" and your shortcut will appear on your Desktop

• Option: drag and drop on to QL toolbar or Start Menu.

2. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Dedicated Member

So how big is your electric bill? :D

3. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Considering there is always at least 6 systems running - we don't talk about that. But at least it is being used for medical research.