1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USB Device Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by rohan.prakash2006, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rohan.prakash2006

rohan.prakash2006 Techie7 New Member

Hello Friends!!

I have a Transcend USB 2.0 Flash Drive. Its a 2GB Pen Drive (JetFlash V30). The Model No is TS2GJFV30. I know that when i plug this USB drive in a USB port, the drivers for this device are automatically installed (except in Windows 98SE, where you have to first install its driver). But in the later version of Windows, you need not install the device driver as it is installed automatically when the device is plugged in. I am using Windows 2000. When i plug this device in my system's USB port, i get the message, "USB Device not Recognized". I have tried plugging in this device in Windows XP too, but there also i get the same message. I am sure that my USB port is working and is in good condition as i can use other USB Devices in the same USB ports. I have tried reconnecting the device as well as uninstalling it and then reinstalling it from the Device Manger. However sometimes this USB Device works, as the drivers get installed. What should i do now, so that i can get back my USB device to work in good condition? Is there a problem in my USB Device? Why do this problem occurs? Please help.

2. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

"However sometimes this USB Device works, as the drivers get installed."

I've downloaded the user manual for your drive. As you stated, drivers are only required for 98SE. System requirements are;
    Win2000 w/ SP4
    WinXP w/SP2

I gather you have these Service Packs installed for each of these O/S's.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager for any of your USB elements (without the drive connected to the machine)?

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager for any of your USB elements (with the drive connected to the machine)?

Have you checked your machines bios to ensure any USB elements are enabled?
    (I gather they are as you state it "sometimes" works.)

When it does work, have you formatted the drive?

3. rohan.prakash2006

my o/s is windows xp with sp2. there are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager for any of my USB elements (without the drive connected to the machine). however when i connect my pen drive, the device manger reports my pen drive as "Unknown Device" and in the properties i find written, "There are no drivers installed for this device". sometimes when i connect tht pen drive it shows an yellow exclamation mark in device manger. my usb elements are enabled from my BIOS. i think my pen drive has corrupted??? wht do u say??

4. Dan Penny

It is possible it's been corrupted.

When it shows (in Device Manager) as an "Unknown Device", can you right click on it and attempt to load/roll-back the drivers for it? (ie; Are these options there?)

Can you attempt to format it? (If so, you'll loose whatever data is on it.)

5. rohan.prakash2006

i want to share with u an article which i had found in some troubleshooting forum for "USB device not recognized". The article is as follows:

I found a fix for USB devices not working, actually came from Microsoft technicians. Apparently there's a problem with the Intel USB chipsets going flakey

Step 1: Remove Hidden Devices
    1. Open a Command Prompt.
    2. Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_DETAILS=1" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
    3. Type "set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" (without quotation marks) and Press Enter.
    4. Type "start devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) and click press Enter.
    5. Click View. Click Show hidden devices.
    6. Click "+" to expand devices, Unknown devices and USB devices.
    7. Are there any devices and unknown devices (including grayed out devices)? If so, please right click it and click Uninstall them.

Step 2: Remove all oem*.inf files
    1. Click start and click run then under the run line type in the command "cmd" (without the quotation marks)

2. In the command line, type in the following (without the quotes) and press enter after each command:

"cd \windows\inf"
    "ren infcache.1 *.old"
    "ren oem*.inf *.old"
    "del C:\windows\setupapi.log"
    "exit"

Step 3: Removing all entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Enum/USB that start with VID using REGEDIT.

Removing the VID entries from the registry will cause them to be redetected at restart.

CAUTION: If you have a USB keyboard, mouse, scanners, and other things you know are working, do not remove the VID entry for these devices, otherwise, Windows may not restart correctly.

1. Click Start and click Run. Type regedit and click OK. The Registry Editor window will open.

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB.

3. Highlight and delete all the VID_.... entries for usb devices that you cannot identify. Remember not to delete the entries mentioned above.

You may not have permssion to delete keys, do the following.
    Permissions may be set allowing the deletion of the VID_ entries by following the steps below:

a) Right-click the key to be deleted, and then click Permissions. The VID_... Permissions window will open.
    b) With Everyone highlighted in the Group or User name section, select Full Control in the Permissions section.
    c) Click Apply, and then click OK.

5. Restart your compuer.

Step 4: Reconnect the USB device that was not previously working. Windows should automatically rerinstall the drivers.

After going through this article, I applied this on my system. I found that my pen drive is working fine in my laptop, but not working in other systems. I had applied that solution on my system. In other systems I have not applied this solution. Now what do u think , what may cause the problem?

When it shows (in Device Manager) as an "Unknown Device", I can right click on it and attempt to load/roll-back the drivers for it (ie; Are these options there?). But when i do this, nothing happens. I mean the computer reports that device as "Unknown Device". I can format the pen drive, but Windows is not reading my pen drive. (ie; In My Compter, i am unable to view my pen drive.

What shall I do now?

6. Dan Penny

OK, lets back the truck up and pose a few questions.

First, from your last post; "After going through this article, I applied this on my system. I found that my pen drive is working fine in my laptop, but not working in other systems. I had applied that solution on my system. In other systems I have not applied this solution.

How many "systems" (and what O/S on each) are you talking about? (From your previous threads on these forums I know you have a Win2000 system, and apparently a WinXP system.)

Laptop system is pretty clear, that's one, and it works with the flash drive. For clarity, lets call this System 1. (Above mentioned fix has not been applied.) Also, since the flash drive works here, we can assume it hasn't been "corrupted".

Please define "my system" (Win2000?, System 2?, above mentioned fix has been applied.), and, "other systems" (WinXP?, System(s) 3 + 4 +5?, above mentioned fix has not been applied.).

For troubleshooting, you don't want to "jump around", trying "this and that" in different combinations on different machines. Try one specific thing, one one machine at a time.

That being said, please clarify the above questions.

Since the flash drive works on the Laptop system, let's eliminate this system from the equation for now.

Second, ("my system", Win2000?) how old is this machine? As this flash drive is new, is the motherboard chipset driver and USB driver the latest available? Visit the web site for your motherboards manufacturer and make sure you have the latest drivers. Also check for a newer version of the BIOS. Flashing your BIOS should be a last resort for resolving the problem, but it may be the solution. If an updated bios exists, download it and save it somewhere safe for now.

How many USB devices are you running on this machine (in addition to the flash drive)?

If any, are all devices (including the flash drive) connected directly to the motherboard USB ports, or are you using an add-in USB card (PCI etc), or a USB HUB?

If an add-in card, are the drivers the latest for it?

If a HUB, is the HUB a powered HUB?

7. rdmhatre

rdmhatre Techie7 New Member

I have a Transcend USB 2.0 Flash Drive. Its a 2GB Pen Drive (JetFlash V30). The Model No is JF V30/2GB. cannot start in computer management - device manager - usb mass storage device properties following error are comming please help me.
    This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshooter to start the troubleshooter for this device

8. rdmhatre

rdmhatre Techie7 New Member

Re: USB pen drive Device can not start (code 10)

I have a Transcend USB 2.0 Flash Drive. Its a 2GB Pen Drive (JetFlash V30). The Model No is JF V30/2GB. cannot start in & I am working on windows 2000 & windows xp sp2 , computer management - device manager - usb mass storage device properties following error are comming please help me.
    This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshooter to start the troubleshooter for this device

Attached Files:

9. Sarimsomaly

Sarimsomaly Techie7 New Member

Dear Stronger

Now i have problem with my usb device, message is "USB Device Not Recognized" please help me becoz all data very important for me. Thank you advance.

10. Dan Penny

This thread has been closed due to inactivity from the original poster.

If you started this thread and the problem returns, or, the case has not been properly resolved, please send a Private Message to a
    Moderator to have the thread opened again. If you have a different problem, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.