1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Site stuff:

Discussion in 'Web Development Help' started by Mashetty, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Mashetty

Mashetty Techie7 New Member

Hi, Good day!

I want to create a web site that contains all the stuff reg mobile phones; like Reviews, Brands, Features, Price, Service Providers, Offers, Packages, Ring tones, Themes, Wallpapers etc. I went through various such sites to get some idea. The sites contain links to diff resources as said above. From where do they get all the stuff ? What should I do to add such wonderful stuff to my site.
    If I want to include a links to a list of dealers/sellers (inc Add & Ph no,s) in my city, do I need to take permission from such shopkeepers . Please help me to build a site with this content. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks a lot.:)

2. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Techie7 New Member

Before you collate content I suggest you master PHP & MySQL or equivalent. :smartass:

3. HappyBeaver

HappyBeaver Bea*ering Away!

There are some fantastic review blogs that do exactly what you're wanting to do and they use Wordpress! It's so easy to use even for a beginner and you can add links, images and text and pages in a wysiwyg editor! Wordpress is free and has gazillions of plugins to make your website do just what you want it to do.

You do not need permission to link to anything on the internet especially if your reviewing their products.

Sorry Devils Advocate, you don't need php or mysql skills to set up websites ;)

4. DevilsAdvocate

If you're happy to have a site that looks like a million others, that's absolutely true. :devil2:

5. Mashetty

Mashetty Techie7 New Member

Hi, Good day!

I shall try 'wordpress'. How is it diff from dreamweaver ?

I am not answered for the question:

From where do they get all the stuff ? What should I do to add such wonderful stuff to my site.

Please clear my doubts if possible.

Thanks for your replies.

6. Jay Malone

Jay Malone Techie7 New Member

I have tried tons of blog creaters/site creaters. But then I wanted more flexibility and, also, more power to put whatever I want on my site. I didn't want any limitations whatsoever. So I learned XHTML Strict and CSS. I learned all this from a For Dummies book. I learned It from Andy Harris's HTML, XHTML, CSS All-In-One Desk Reference For Dummies. It teaches a lot more than just XHTML and CSS though. It also teaches stuff like JavaScript. And to answer your question you can get an image and paste it on your page and give a link to the product below the image or something.

Hope it helps at least a tiny bit,
    Jay

7. HappyBeaver

Wordpress is a ready made website platform/theme etc. Dreamweaver is just an html etc editor.

If you don't know what you're doing this is the easiest thing to start with. It's customisable too but you'll need the html/php skills talked about by DA up above.

DA, I didn't mean to trash what you said, and yes, you're right - it won't necessarily stand out from lots of others - it's just an acorn :D

Mind you - I've seen horrendous sites created by professionals where wordpress would have been sufficient and funky LOL

8. DevilsAdvocate

True enough. But that's ignorant clients for you, being baffled by the BS. :rolleyes_

9. HappyBeaver

I do know a guy that makes serious money from being a cr@p webdesigner haha - he may have the coding skills but totally lacks any artistic ability and his efforts are terrible. Still, kudos to him for making big bucks LOL