1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display probs. HELP!

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by jessicalyn, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessicalyn

jessicalyn Techie7 New Member

now it says 2 hrs 37 minutes, hmmmm.

2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

The rate of transfer always varies and those estimates are based on the current rate.

3. jessicalyn

okay, I believe this one took this time....although there at the end it was hard to read the screen at all. Anyway I chose what I thought to say resatrt and did just that. The problem is still here though, same look to the screen and all but maybe that was a start. I am calling it a night.....12:30 A/M my time. Any other suggestions and I will check back with you tomorrow. Thanks again and again.

4. jephree

Try starting in Safe Mode.

Tap tap tap the F8 key BETWEEN the computer logo screen and XP.

You should get a black screen with options: choose Safe Mode.

See if that changes anything.

If not plug the monitor into the motherboard. You will see the same blue plug on the edge of the case where that upper arrow was.

See if that makes a difference.

There is a possibility that your graphics card is gone. It is old and that hardware is very outdated.

If the problem persists in Safe Mode and with the on-board VGA then I would suspect your monitor.

Try a different monitor or try this monitor on another computer.

5. jephree

Also; if this is an old CRT monitor look for a button that says "degauss".

If found push it. You might want to turn away from the monitor when you do.

6. jessicalyn

okay, I tried safe mode, no luck. Unless if I am just blind, there is no such other slot on the back oif my cpu unit to plug my moniter into. Also there is no such button on my moniter that says" degauss". I believe my husban bought me this computer in 2002....is it really already that outdated?

7. jephree

Did you get Safe Mode options?

If not restart the computer and keep tapping the F8 key. XP should not start.

Your computer manufacturer offers few details but since they provide an on-board driver that usually suggests an on-board VGA port.

Did you unplug the monitor and look at the plug type?

Is it a CRT monitor? Meaning it looks like a box or old TV rather than a flat screen?

If so look at the sides as well as the back for "degauss". The more I think of it this sounds very possible as the problem.

5 years is fairly ancient with this stuff.

Again if none of the above the best test is to try a different monitor.

If the problem persists on different monitors we can be certain the graphics card is the problem.

Cards similar to yours are very inexpensive if you need a new one.

8. jessicalyn

I will try to check the moniter on a diff computer but was wondering about Everest....I didn't know if you knew anything about it and thought that may be an option. I just know from reading other forums. I want to thank you so so so much for all of your help and time. How can I contact you if need be later?

9. jephree

Everest identifies your hardware.

I didn't advise it because if your computer does not detect something Everest probably won't either.

Also these tools might not detect old hardware. For example your graphics card runs at a transfer rate of 2x. The current standard is 16x.

At this point we know what you have.

I can be found here.

10. jessicalyn

Yes, I was able to get to safe mode....but that changed nothing. Display was just as bad as before. Yes I unplugged the moniter and looked at the plug type. There was no other option on the back of my computer that particular plug would fit. My moniter is a Samsung 151v Flatscreen...not an old bulky moniter. Nice to hear graphics cards are inexpensive just in case that is it. Okay well I will try to check my moniter on a diff computer asap and get back with you. If you think of anything else just let me know.

11. jessicalyn

12. jephree

OK. The Safe Mode part indicates that drivers are not an issue.

The lack of an on-board VGA indicates that perhaps it was an option I suppose.

Flat screens do not "degauss". That is magnetic interference attributed to old Cathode Ray displays.

So we are down to the card or the monitor.

Let's hope it is the card.

13. jephree

Drivers should not be required for proper use.

The monitor might have some special functions that drivers would activate but it should not affect performance.

Do not buy drivers. If you want them Samsung will have them for free.

I will look it up if you want but it should not be a factor.

Try the monitor switch.

14. jessicalyn

Hey Jephree,

I just wanted you to know that I got my computer fixed! Yeah! It ended up being the video card. Everything is working fine now. Thanks you for all of your help.

15. jephree

Thanks for the update. Glad all is well. :clap:

Let us know if we can help further in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.