1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Registration Entry left behind

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help' started by delta, Nov 3, 2007.

1. delta

delta Established Techie7 Member

Using Vista Home Premium 32

I unistalled Norton Security but it has left behind registration entry: cc_20071101_2027

Can I safely delete this?

2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Probably - if you are 100% sure it belonged to Norton. But as always, make sure you backup the registry before making any changes to it.

3. delta

I have had problems with broadband connection dropping out and BT used remote assistance to check out my settings. By typing 'norton' in search this item appeared, so presumably it does refer to Norton. How do I back up registry? (I know I should know but I have never yet had to, sorry).

4. Digerati

To back up, open Regedit and ensure My Computer is highlighted in the left panel. Then click File > Export and follow the prompts to save the file. Restoring uses the reverse process, except you import.

Alternatively, ERUNT is a popular registry backup/recovery program.

5. delta

I did that and a message says that the file already exist and do I wish to replace it. I am really lost here!

6. Digerati

That just means you did this once before and used the same filename. If you don't remember doing it, then it was probably awhile ago and it is safe to overwrite it. If you want to keep it anyway, simply enter a different filename during the save process.

You CANNOT hurt anything by exporting.

7. delta

It turned out to be an 'orphan' which I deleted and now all is well. Simple, huh? - When you know how. :)

8. Digerati

That's normally the case. Thanks for the update.