1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Test And Share Your Broadband Speed Here

Discussion in 'Chat Room' started by d-a-l, Aug 29, 2007.

1. d-a-l

d-a-l Techie7 Administrator Staff Member Techie7 Chief

Following DJNafey's excellent article today.....This thread is for testing and sharing your broadband speed.

Firstly go to this site: http://www.speedtest.net/

Run the test and then you will see the option to copy the link to post on a forum, then just post yours here! If you wish also share what your supposed to get as quoted from your ISP.

(http://www.speedtest.net/) is not affiliated with D-A-L.com or D24 MEDIA and we do not have any control over this external site or the content it provides.

2. d-a-l

[​IMG]

I pay for 2Mb Broadband.

3. brain_damage

brain_damage D-A-L Team Member (UK)

[​IMG]

I'm on 2MB Virgin

4. d-a-l

Nice down BD but thats a lame upload speed!

5. Jaynee

Jaynee Techie7 New Member

[​IMG]

I am on 2mb F2S.

6. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

[​IMG]

BellSouth (AT&T) lists my "package" as "6 MBPS DSL".

7. Kazna3

Kazna3 Techie7 New Member

[​IMG]

I'm supposed to be on 20/10 business with BD-DSL since a month, but they really do screw around. I'm just waiting to end this month and move. Any advice from fellow UKers?
    Closest BD exchange to me here is 80 miles away hence my speed lacks massively at times, plus the servers I used were 300 miles away from where I am. That slows everything down. :(

The test I use and is quite representative for BD customers at least is here: http://speedtest.bulldogdsl.com/lt.html

Speed.png

8. ercu

ercu Techie7 New Member

9. Tassie Devil

Tassie Devil DAL Aussie Contingent

lol wait till you see mine then. 256/56. :(

[​IMG]

10. madmikejt12

madmikejt12 Dedicated Member

[​IMG]

supposed to be 2Mb/s

11. d-a-l

[​IMG]

Me at the office - Dedicated (Expensive!) 1Mb line. How about that for upload speed!?

12. sulkybarrel

sulkybarrel Techie7 New Member

13. spud

spud D-A-L Team Member (UK)

[​IMG]

this is with freeserve @ £17.99 monthly

14. kevinzheng.101

kevinzheng.101 Techie7 New Member

Do you believe this?
    [​IMG]
    And it's a hotspot!!! And I see several people around me connected, a lot of people. Imagine me and me alone. Fastest Internet I've seen in my days.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  15. madmikejt12

madmikejt12 Dedicated Member

wow, thats fast :eek:

16. Katman104

Katman104 Established Techie7 Member

Hello,
    Mine is supposed to be 512 download but never has been that much since I got on satellite but, it sure beats Dial up. DSL or cable is not available.

Download speed 374kb/s
    Upload speed 26kb/s

17. dazza

dazza Techie7 New Member

18. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Rather than the recommended "local" server I went to Atlanta which I knew was the major BellSouth hub:

[​IMG]

It appears to me that the speed is more dependent on the target server then on your ISP potential.

Would that be corrrect?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  19. dazza

dazza Techie7 New Member

Target server is at tpg.com.au- sydney Australia and im in Adelaide, but overall internet speeds are not that good in Austrlia:taz:

20. Kazna3

Kazna3 Techie7 New Member

Yep Jephree - server being contacted makes a notable difference on speed, always, and the biggest is probably how far you are from the nearest exchange. Closer you are, the faster the speeds usually are to the advertised if the line has the potential, is not capped and all your hardware is working well.

I found that during my break and off-time at work when not running anything work related and we're permitted internet access (certain times), they cap our upload to 489kb/s and download to 6000kb/s. My temporary home line here is also supplied by my employer and runs the same deal. :(

I have hit 15MB/s-3MB/s before using this same line early morning 4am once before when measuring on another site. A big one off I never see reproduced. Sometimes my download exceeds 25MB/s and many other times it hovers around 5-6MB/s. Upload never exceeds 899KB/s that I've monitored with this line.