1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Boot Discs

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by jhctisty, Aug 20, 2007.

1. jhctisty

jhctisty Techie7 New Member

I need to know if the windows XP six floppy disc start up set contain information specific to the machine on which they were created or can I use a set of floppies created on an entirely different spec machine to repair another machine running windows XP.
    I need to know because a dual boot system windows 98 and XP threw a wobbler when I installed service pack 2 on the XP partition and refused to boot. Totally messed up my MBR and reports the hard disc as unreadable or contains partitions not recognised by windows ntfs or fat 32.
    Thanks,
    Tony

2. MCWILSY

MCWILSY Techie7 New Member

ye it shouldn't matter about the SPec of the comuter it has been writen from, couldn't you use the FixMBR command to fix the dual boot?

Jack

3. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

4. jhcristy

jhcristy Techie7 New Member

Many thanks and yes I should have used the fix mbr but everything seemed shot to hell the computer was reporting it could not read any of the partitions citing that there was neither a valid fat or ntfs partition to view. This only happened after I introduced service pack 2 to the mix.
    I wonder should I use a bootloader program to avoid getting the failure again after I rebuild both OS's.
    I was not aware that there were different floppy sets for each version of XP
    I suppose what I was really trying to determine was whether these start up discs contained information specific to the computer on which they were created.
    Regards,
    Jhcristy

5. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Nothing specific, no, but there is not much you can do with these floppies.

They will load the Recovery Console and are also used when your CD-ROM is not booting for some reason. They only set up the system in order to start the XP CD.

I am not sure what your intention was/is in the use of these floppies.