1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Startup/freezing/monitor issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by logik, Aug 14, 2007.

1. logik

logik Techie7 New Member

Hi, first time posting here, just looking for any help I can get

I just started having a problem today with my PC. I was in the middle of a Pro Tools session and it froze. It's never actually completely froze on me because I keep my studio computer pretty well maintained. So I just rebooted and then the monitor would not come back on, it just stayed in hibernation mode. Theres nothing wrong with the connection, it just isn't coming on now, it continuously goes to hibernation mode.
    It will only come on maybe 1 out of every 6 or 7 reboots, in which I find myself at the scandisk screen only to have it freeze at 6% every time.
    It's only once fully booted right into windows, and it froze up again shortly thereafter.

I installed a dvd burner about a week ago, so I dont know if the power supply isn't able to handle everything in it? (its got the regular stuff, dvd burner, cd burner, audio card, video card, firewire card - running a pro tools rig)

I would reformat the whole thing and just start over but I've got a lot of files that havent been backed up yet that I need, and I can't even get into safe mode or anything to do it.

3 ghz processor
    80 ghz HD
    512 RAM (I know, upgrading soon)
    Windows XP

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be?

2. MCWILSY

MCWILSY Techie7 New Member

hmm i would say have a check inside the case for dust logged in the main components, e.g. in heatsinks and small spaces, dust is a pain for all of us!!

Jack

3. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

In a worse case scenario you can slave the hard drive in another computer to access the data but this does not sound like a software problem.

I would go back inside and undo whatever changes you made plus verify all the connections to the motherboard. Try re-seating the RAM.

Make sure the CPU fan is running well.

Does the monitor give a "No Signal Input" message?