1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer randomly shuts down

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by aSoaringHawk, Aug 12, 2007.

1. aSoaringHawk

aSoaringHawk Techie7 New Member

After booting up my computer randomly shuts down - sometimes immediately, sometimes within minutes, sometimes hours.

Appreciate any help!
    Thanks!
    Hawk

Radiating UNCONDITIONAL LOVE & Truth
    To ALL who share our circle, our universe, our love, our trust.
    May I always be found worthy.
    Gratitude & Thankfulness to All of Us
    aSoaringHawk
    Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time. Then your time on earth will be filled with joy & glory.
    Thank you for YOU, ALL!

2. MCWILSY

MCWILSY Techie7 New Member

hmm just shuts down, if you get a chance, go to My Computer and right click anywhere in the window -> click Properties -> Advanced -> at the bottom it will sat startup and recovery click settings -> it will open a window and there will be a check box saying automatically restart... make sure that is unchecked and next time it happens you will get a BSOD (blue screen of death), note what it says and post it here when u have

Thanks

Jack

3. aSoaringHawk

OK Did that.
    Thanks Jack!
    Add to original post:
    The computer does not restart just shuts off.
    Hawk

aSoaringHawk
    Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time. Then your time on earth will be filled with joy & glory.
    Thank you for YOU, Jack!

4. aSoaringHawk

Let me clarify a bit: My normal procedure:
    after boot up I open my regular files, go online, open a few url's. Yesterday 10 minutes later computer turns off.
    I reboot and a minute after the desktop & all files are loaded it shuts down. Go thru the whole procedure again & again it shuts down.
    Boot up again - stays on for 16 hrs & shuts down.
    So then I did a Scan Disk & Defrag & went to bed.

Something similar happens every once in awhile.

So far today no problems - running for 6 hrs.
    Hawk

5. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Well, this certainly sounds like hardware is failure. To be sure your system is clean of malware, I recommend you run through Cleaning Out Malware.

You also need to make sure your system is clean of dirt and dust too. You should open the case and inspect for dust build up. While in there, make sure all your fans spin freely and all connections are tight.

Inspect the motherboard for leaky capacitors. Leaky capacitors are a common cause of sudden system lock ups and reboots. Look for white to dark brown dried foam leaking from the tops or bottoms of the capacitors. The capacitors look like tall soda cans, many of which surround the CPU socket. Bulging capacitors are a sign leakage is about to occur. A motherboard with leaky capacitors can be repaired, but generally it is more cost effective to replace the motherboard.

RAM failure may also be causing this. To test your RAM, I recommend MemTest86+. Select Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win). Unzip the file to a convenient location, insert a formatted floppy disk in the floppy drive, double-click on install.bat to install. Then, with the floppy in the drive, reboot the computer. The computer should boot to the floppy and start testing your RAM. Let it run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors. Instructions to create a bootable CD version is available too. An excellent how-to guide is available here.

6. aSoaringHawk

Thanks Bill! Appreciate your help! I'll check.
    Hawk

aSoaringHawk
    Thank you for YOU, Bill!

7. aSoaringHawk

OK. Have 128MB RAM - Cleaned it.
    Stayed running 4 hrs. Then shut down 3 times right after everything loaded.
    On the 3rd time got the BSOD with this Tech message:
    Stop: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X3F04A52E, 0XF1BFEB40, 0X00000000)

NV4_disp.dll - Address BF04A52E base at BF01200, DateStamp 411096d7

Was able to get back on now.

Hawk

8. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

128MB of RAM is a bare minimum to run XP.

You should consider adding at least another 128MB. In general you want at least 512MB for XP. 1GB would be best.

Anyway your error above is your nVidia graphics drivers.

What is the model of your graphics card?

If you do not know look in the Device Manager under Display Adapter.

Device Manager = right click My Computer then click Manage then Device Manager.

I'd suggest uninstalling then reinstalling the latest drivers from nVidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Nvidia's web site is currently having problems but check back soon.

9. aSoaringHawk

Thanks for reply Jephree!
    Went looking for the error codes - haven't found them yet - keep shutting down.
    Also downloaded ErrorSmart but shut down during scan. Know anything about this program?

I'm trying to understand memory - I have 2 gig memory installed don't know what memory that is.

Going to find a site about building a computer for a better understanding.

Thanks again!

aSoaringHawk
    Thank you for YOU, Jephree!

10. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

First:
    Then:
    So, did you mean you have a video card with 128Mb of memory?

The Stop 8E is often associated with the graphics accelerator and the as Jephree noted, the NV4_disp.dll error is for your graphics card.

In addition to the information Jephree requested, have you recently made any driver or hardware changes?