1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Driver Missing???

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by sleezywick, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleezywick

sleezywick Techie7 New Member

I recently re-installed Windows Xp and now it says i dont have any active mixer devices available. Does this mean i need to install driver updates or something completely different?I scanned my computer with Belarc and attached the results if it helps any. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device (2x)

The above doesn't provide much exact info.

Download, install, and run Everest Home Edition on this machine. (Clean FreeWare) Once it's finished loading and running, look under

Multimedia, or, under Multimedia, PCI / PnP Audio. This will tell you what sound devices you have available on your system. Post that information.

3. sleezywick

Under the MultiMedia PCI/PnP Audio it listed this:

Device Description Type
    Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0] PCI

That more like what you wanted?

4. Dan Penny

That's exactly what I wanted. Try the attached.

Create a new folder named INSTALL. (ie; C:\INSTALL)

Unzip the two files. Place them into the above directory. (Once used they can be deleted from C:\INSTALL as the windows installer will copy them to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS directory. Save the zip file though for possible future use again.)

Update the driver for the problem device. (In Device Manager)

Follow the prompts until you see "Have Disk". Click on that and point to the C:\INSTALL file location.

You may have to restart the machine.

Post back with your results or further questions.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  5. sleezywick

When i open the device manager i get a list of a couple audio devices:

Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    (!)MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    Standard Game Port
    Video Codecs

I wasn't sure which one to use it for, so i right clicked on the oem file and pressed install. I waited a few minutes then rebooted, but it's still not working. I get the same message when i go to open the volume control.

6. Dan Penny

Open Device Manager.

Delete (Remove) the MPU-401 device without the exclamation mark.

MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device <--Remove this one
    (!)MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device <-- Double click on this one and update the drivers for it using the driver package I provided.

The same driver can be used for any of the other Audio Devices listed if they are not functioning. ie;
    Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers

Post back with your results and any further questions.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  7. sleezywick

The update wizard says that it cannot find a better match for the driver than what is already installed. The error message causing that exclamtion point was:
    "This Device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. If you want to use this device you must disable one of the other devices on the system."

8. Dan Penny

OK. Try this;

Download, install, and run Everest Home Edition on this machine. (Clean FreeWare) Once it's finished loading and running, click on Report, Report Wizard in the Menu Bar. Save the Hardware related pages (the default). Save it as an HTML file (the default) in a location of your choice. (It will default the location to C:\Program Files\Lavalys\EVEREST Home Edition\Reports.) Add this report(.HTM) document to a .zip (compressed) file.

Please Attach that .zip document to your next posting. (When posting, click on Advanced, and just below the posting box you'll see "Additional Options", and within that, "Attach Files". Click on "Manage Attachments" and follow the prompts. Browse to the file location on your system and choose UPLOAD.)

9. sleezywick

Alright, here it is.

Attached Files:

10. Dan Penny

OK,
    Download and install this first; (Motherboard chipset drivers)
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/inf5021003.zip

Download and install this second; (Application Accelerator)
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/utils/iaa222.zip

Then here's your (onboard) Audio driver;
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/alc650/alc650_wdm329.zip

All (your Asus motherboard) drivers and manual are here;
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=P4G8X&SLanguage=en-us

USB drivers under the "OTHER" Tab on the above page. IMPORTANT - READ the included README text file before using.

Note the release dates (near the right) when you see two drivers/utilities of the same name/type.

NIC Cards (You have TWO, onboard and add-in card, BOTH engaged)

3Com 3CSOHO100-TX Hurricane (Add-in PCI card)
    http://search.3com.com/search/en_US/query.html?qt=3CSOHO100-TX+Hurricane&col=dwnld
    (Discontinued product. Latest 3Com driver is Win 2000, which would work fine in XP, however XP stock drivers will do fine for this.)

and a

Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5702 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Onboard)
    http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/broadcom/5702/5702_668.zip
    (If you choose to run the 3COM, this one can be disabled either in the bios or by a jumper on the motherboard. (I didn't download and read the motherboard manual, but it will tell you how in it.))

Post back with your results.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  11. sleezywick

ok, i installed and ran the top 3, but i'm completely lost when i get to the motherboard page. Am i supposed to download the WinXP stuff from every category and run it?

12. Dan Penny

No, I just provided the link so you'd have it. The "top three" were the important items. Stock XP drivers are fine, if everything is working fine. (I compare release dates of manufacturers drivers to the O/S drivers, and choose the newest.) With chipsets sometimes the manufacturers work a bit better as they're geared directly to the hardware, whereas XP stock drivers are generic. Also, the manufacturers drivers usually give you "more", especially when it comes to sound and video devices.

Example: XP is running your sound device, and you have sound. Fine. If you load the manufacturers drivers/software, you'll get all the "bells and whistles" for the device. Mixer, recorder, etc, which is usually much better than the O/S stock bare-bones working situation. XP's Recorder will only record up to sixty seconds of sound. The manufacturers recorder will record until you run out of disk space for the file. Same idea with the mixer. There's generally more options/finer control.

Same idea with the video. XP will run your video device, but nvidia gives you much more control with resolutions, colors, OpenGL, etc.

Same idea with monitors. XP will run it, however it's run at what is "safe" for ALL monitors. (Refresh rates etc.) 60 Hz will run any monitor safely, but yours will operate better and faster at 80 or 85 Hz. (<-- Example only, I haven't searched out this for your system. Use your monitor manual to check this.)

Same idea with the USB, NIC, etc.

When I work on a system, I'll download and save any and all drivers/utilities I can find for all the hardware. (That's why I had the initial Intel drivers pack I attached in my earlier post.) It was saved from long ago. However, even though the Intel ID numbers were correct, it wasn't 100% compatable with your motherboard Intel sound chip. The motherboard manufacturer (Asus)has "tweaked" the initial chip properties.

Hence I asked for your hardware report, which told me what motherboard make/model you had. When possible, I always use the manufacturers drivers for onboard devices, as opposed to generic ones. Intel even outlines this on their pages. They supply manufacturers with the device chips for use on many boards/cards. So they recommend you get the drivers from the manufacturer of your device/hardware.

XP is renowned for being able to get most systems up and running because of the driver collection that comes with the O/S. But you can make your system "better, stronger, faster" The BIONIC SYSTEM! ;>)

I hope I've made things a bit clearer, (and haven't bored you to death).

Do you have sound now?

P.S. If you don't really need two NIC's running, either remove the 3Com card and use the onboard (easiest, plus it frees up a PCI slot), or disable the onboard Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5702 Gigabit Ethernet Controller NIC in the bios or via a motherboard jumper. Either one will perform well as the specs are virtually identical; 10/100 etc.

Resources are being wasted running two if not required, and can (but not necessarily) cause "IRQ_NOT_EQUAL....." Blue Screens Of Death". (I just last week had one of these systems. Creative Sound Blaster Live! PCI card installed, and onboard sound was enabled too, giving the occasional BSOD. I had to pull the side panel and change the onboard sound jumper (Asus board) to Disabled. No more occasional conflicts.)

13. sleezywick

lol u didn't bore me to death and i followed most of that. I've installed the top 3 but still no sound :/

14. Dan Penny

OK, I'll download and have a look at the motherboard manual to see if the sound device is controlled via the bios (and where within) or with a motherboard jumper. If the drivers are loaded, it must be disabled by one or the other means mentioned, or not functioning. ;>( Given the age of the motherboard it could be that the sound chip(s) have failed. If that's the case, a PCI sound card would give you sound.

15. Dan Penny

OK, I suggest you download your motherboard manual as things will be easier to follow. (It's too large to attach here, 4.3 MB) Here's a direct download link;

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4g8x/e1133_p4g8x.pdf

Once it downloads (and opens in Adobe Acrobat Reader) click on (the Menu Bar) File, Save As... and save it wherever you like.

(See page 87) In the Advanced section of the bios setup, under I/O Device Configuration you'll see Onboard AC97 Audio Controller. Ensure it is set to Auto. The only other option is Disabled. See attached screenshot - untitled1) Use your arrow keys to navigate around, ENTER to select, and either arrow/enter, or the - or + key to change the value. You'll get the hang of it.

If it's already set to Auto, and there's no sound, and your speakers etc are known to be good, then the sound chip is cooked. You'll need a sound card.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  16. sleezywick

Bah, its fried. I'll have to go get a new one then. Thanks for all of your help.
    :rockon:

17. Dan Penny

You're welcome.

18. sleezywick

i thought i'd check with you before i bought one, but wouldthis card work with my motherboard?

19. Dan Penny

Yes. According to the system report you posted PCI slots #'s 2 & 5 are open. Just install the card, you'll get "New Hardware Found", then install the software (that should have come with the card).

20. manyourisms

manyourisms Techie7 New Member

thanks, browza. you helped me out too.

peace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.