1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer no longer boots up

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by CaptainMazda, May 16, 2007.

1. CaptainMazda

CaptainMazda Dedicated Member

Ok, here we go again.

My computer had been perfect until now. Here's what happened:

Yesterday I used it for about half an hour, just listening to music and working on some random things. I noticed a severe storm was about to roll in so I turned the computer off (it shut down normally, nothing strange happened) and then unplugged it. Two hours later, I came back and turned it on. However, nothing happened. The computer powered up but refused to boot. The monitor stayed on stand-by. I went into "wtf" mode and tried my best for the next 5 hours to revive the computer. No luck. The first thing I tried was to reset the CMOS, but no such luck. I tried it several more times without success. My video card powers up because the GPU fan works when I power up the computer. I even tried putting in my old 9550 AGP card to test my GeForce 6600GT but still no boot. I fiddled with the sound card, RAM, etc. Nothing. The busy light and the green power light stay on when I turn the computer on. Also, the green LED light on the motherboard is on.

One thing I did however notice was that even in this boot "limbo", the DVD-ROM functions. The CD-RW on the other hand doesn't. It's as if there's no power in it. So what I did was unplug the power and IDE cables from the CD-RW and DVD drives and when I tried to boot the computer, the red light disappeared. Still no boot though.

The main question is: what happened to the computer that was working perfectly when it was completely unplugged?

Specs:

RetailPlus 465W PSU
    Asus P5P800 SE LGA775
    Intel Pentium D 805 dual-core LGA 775 CPU
    eVGA GeForce 6600GT 128MB AGP 8x
    Creative Soundblaster Live! 24-bit EAX HD
    1024MB Kingston ValuRAM (2x512) DDR400
    Western Digital 80GB IDE HDD
    Western Digital 250GB SATA-II HDD

*sigh*

Any help would be appreciated. My only internet access came from my own computer.

2. MCWILSY

MCWILSY Techie7 New Member

hmmm.... i would first say try a different monitor on your Graphics just to see if anything is being displayed, if not, take a look at your computer and see if it has an onboard graphics port (VGA on the MOBO) and then plug your monitor into that, if that doesnt work please reply back to me

Jack

3. CaptainMazda

Yep, no on-board video on this mobo. It's a bit too new for that :)

It's the PSU. I'm posting from the computer right now.

Put in a weak 350W PSU from another computer and it's working fine. But since it doesn't have a SATA plug, my D drive is non-existent until I buy a new PSU. But I am certainly breathing a HUGE sigh of relief at the fact that it's only the PSU.
    I'll update once I go buy one, but thanks a lot for the replies :)

EDIT: Had to re-activate Windows as well.

4. MCWILSY

Ok, glad all is well and hope all is safe =)

5. CaptainMazda

Thank you :)

Next step is to buy the new PSU and hope all is well.

6. MCWILSY

ok send me an update when it is fixed just to know all problems are sorted =)
    Jack

7. CaptainMazda

It's working perfectly now :)

Spiffy new Coolmaster Centurion case and Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU.

1 person likes this.
  8. MCWILSY

good and happy all is well.... im still sitting with my 450W and OLD packard bell case hehe
    Jack

9. CaptainMazda

I have a tendency to turn hardware malfunctions into upgrade jobs ;)

10. MCWILSY

same =) broke my old 512Mb Graphics Card
    Next week got 2 new ones =P