1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless internet disconnects

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by madmikejt12, Oct 20, 2006.

1. madmikejt12

madmikejt12 Dedicated Member

hi, i have set up a wireless network with a thompson speedtouch 576 router.... when it has been on for an hour or 2, it starts to disconnect every 1-3 mins.

i would go on aol live help but their answer to "what chanel should my wireless adaptor be on?" was "yes"!!!!

Thanks
    Mike

2. brain_damage

brain_damage D-A-L Team Member (UK)

3. madmikejt12

thanks, i will have a read :)

i am using a d-link usb wireless adaptor in the pc and in the laptop, it is the one built in (cant remember off hand) it occurs on both the desktop and laptop

i like this post:
    "Just dump AOL and your problems will go away with it"
    wish i could do that :(

4. brain_damage

I liked that quote as well :)

is the router getting warm?

you're better off with a PCI wireless card than USB.

have you tried using Ethernet cables and see if the problem is still there?

5. madmikejt12

the router gets warm but not very, i checked when it first disconnected me and i went to check on the router

it is not the usb because the same problem occurs on the laptop (i know PCI would be better but its only my little sisters pc :p)

the ethernet is a slight problem, there is no spare mains socket in the room with the PC so the router is in my room and my pc refuses to work (hopefully the new mobo will sort it)

i can plug it into the working pc but it strains the wires and just about fits, i will give it a go though (not at home at the moment)

The thing is, the internet, DSL and WLAN light go off and then come back on again slowly, as if it had been turned off and back on

6. brain_damage

this may sound daft but if you turn on the router but don't connect to it just leave it running does it cut out then?

7. madmikejt12

dont connect it as in to the dsl filter, pc or wireless?
    if that is what you mean, only the power light it lit

page 16 of this: http://www.netaly.com/Documentazione/manuali/ST5x6-UserGuide.pdf

power: solid green
    ethernet: off
    WLAN: flashing red or solid red
    DSL: green (flashing with activity)
    internet: green (flashing with activity

when it has been on for a while, the internet, dsl and WLAN go off for a second then start to load up again.

we did have a secure network, but aol told us to disable WEP when wireless wasnt working at all (it worked after i did this though)

8. brain_damage

so if you disable security it works ok?

are you using 64 or 128 bit security?

have you another modem to try, are the filters all ok?

9. madmikejt12

no, with security disabled, it works for an hour or 2 and then keeps resetting.....
    with security enabled (128 bit) it connects to the network but the internet wont work

10. madmikejt12

this is strange, i clicked "connect" on the "view available wireless network" and it didnt connect, but i still have an internet connection and the "link" light on the USB adapter is solid green and the Act flashes (as if it was connected normally)

but look at this:
    [​IMG]

also, it only stays on for 5-10mins before i have to try and connect again (says it failed but it actually connects)

11. brain_damage

it may be a problem with the router or the phone line.

are you using any extensions between the phone socket and the modem/router?

12. madmikejt12

no extension, just the cable provided (tried using the origonal cable aswell)

seems to be ok on the laptop, i will leave it on and see how it goes

the desktop keeps disconnecting from the network now though.

I have just un-ticked the box that says "use windows to configure my wireless network settings" and i immediatley got the icon in the system tray for the wireless network connected:
    [​IMG]

That is the icon that appears (it is not a screenshot of mine, i copied it from the internet)

I will see how it goes on both the desktop and laptop and let you know what happens

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  13. brain_damage

it could be the USB stick as USB uses resources

14. madmikejt12

yeh, but i have been connected for a few hours now with no problens.... the router doesnt seem to be resetting and the PC is saying it is connected and the PC is no longer dis-connecting (after i un-ticked the box that says "use windows to configure my wireless network settings"

The laptop was connenting fine before so i think that works

15. brain_damage

as long as all's well keep it how it is :)

16. madmikejt12

hi, i have started to get the router problem again (keeps disconnecting) do you think it could be a fault in the router?

Mike

17. brain_damage

could well be the router, does the router get very warm?

18. madmikejt12

the router gets slightly warm but i put it on top of a cpu heatsink and it seemed to stay cool :)

19. brain_damage

the router will cut out if it gets to warm.

20. madmikejt12

i will turn the router off later and try again in the morning

Thanks for all your help :)

Mike