1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU question

Discussion in 'A Question to the community!' started by madmikejt12, Oct 17, 2006.

1. madmikejt12

madmikejt12 Dedicated Member

hi, i just want to clarify, if the CPU is broken, the usb will still get power when the pc is turned on won't it?

the problem is, when i turn my pc on i get nothing but a green light on the MOBO (which is lit even when the computer is off) i have purchased a 2nd hand mobo for £17 off ebay (socket 478) because i am pretty sure that is the problem.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. AphJN

AphJN Dedicated Member

Even if the CPU is shot, power is still on the MB in some channels due to standby and hibernate. USB has wake on mouse and keyboard commands when in S1 to S3 so it would also have power for that purpose. In a no response to power-on situation, its very hard to diagnose if its the MB or the CPU unless you have a logic analyser or Osiliscope to check the test points for Clock and CPU clock. Good luck.

3. madmikejt12

madmikejt12 Dedicated Member

ok, thanks :)

when my CPU had come out a while back, the power LED and system fan came on but nothing else, this time i get no fan (and the LED is not connected!)

if the 'new' mobo fails to work, i will just have to try and get hold of a cheap CPU... i don't really want to get one under what my current one is running at (2.2Ghz)