1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW to Networks - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by latin_l3oi, Jul 25, 2006.

1. latin_l3oi

latin_l3oi Techie7 New Member

I have recently bought a D-Link Router. I am trying to create a home network, consisting of 4 PC's ( All using Windows XP Pro Sp1 ) and a Printer.

I've connected all 4 PCs to the router and I have also connected the USB Printer to the router. The Cable Modem is also connected to the router. After I connected all the PCs and Printer, I ran the Network Setup Wizard on each computer and now all PCs have access to the internet but none of the PCs can view each other.

I'm trying to share files and folders on every PC but this is not possible, I've searched the net for answers but haven't been successful.

I'm also not too sure how to allow the printer to be shared among the other PC's. The printer Driver is installed on my PC, so I have no problems printing but others cannot access my printer.

I think it's because none of the PCs can view each other. I'm not sure what I did wrong, or what I didn't do.

I am very new to all this Networking stuff and I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out with this problem.

Thanking in Advance,

latin_l3oi

2. brain_damage

brain_damage D-A-L Team Member (UK)

Hi and welcome to D-A-L :)

have you got firewalls blocking the other PC's?

3. latin_l3oi

I have 2 PCs using Norton Internet Security and the other 2 using McAfee.
    But the firewalls are disabled both on Norton and McAfee.

4. brain_damage

in network places if you click on "view workgroup computers" how many PC's do you see?

have you tried pinging the other PC's

on each PC go Start >> Run >> CMD type ipconfig then press enter, it should have an IP address like the one below.

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.11.1

The IP address should be simalar on all of them apart from the last digit.

The default gateway should be the same on all the machines, that's the routers IP addresss

5. latin_l3oi

In Network Places, when I click on "View Workgroup Computers" I get an error message.
    It says:

Yacolca is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if u have access permissions.

The Network Path was not found.

And it's the same for every computer.

I did the ipconfig on each computer and this is what I get:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet Adapter Network Bridge <Network Bridge> 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.: nsw.bigpond.net.au
    IP Address.............................: 192.168.0.178
    Subnet Mask..........................: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway....................: 192.168.0.1

And I get pretty much the same thing with the other 2 PCs
    And I forgot to mention there's 3 Desktop PCs and 1 Laptop.
    I'm not sure if that matters.

Well on the laptop I get:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.: nsw.bigpond.net.au
    IP Address.............................: 192.168.0.170
    Subnet Mask..........................: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway....................: 192.168.0.1

And Yes, I get the same Default Gateway on each PC.

6. brain_damage

if you go to the laptop and go Start >> Run >> CMD type ping 192.168.0.178 and see if you get any reply, the PC will have to be turned on and connected

just a point can you ping the loopback address 127.0.0.1, it may be that the router has a firewall with closed ports

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  7. latin_l3oi

I pinged the PC with the laptop and I got these results:

Ping Statistics for 192.168.0.178:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% Loss>

I also tried to ping the other PCs with each other and they all get the same results.

8. latin_l3oi

I've tried to ping 127.0.0.1
    But I got the same results, sends 4, receives 4.

9. brain_damage

have you got the windows firewall turned on?

on the network set up wizard is the network set up through a resident gateway?

10. latin_l3oi

On the Network Setup Wizard, I chose:

Computer connected to the Internet through another computer on my network or through a Residential Gateway.

And I'm not sure how to check if Windows Firewall is turned on

11. brain_damage

after you chose Computer connected to the Internet through another computer on my network or through a Residential Gateway. do you have a computer desciption and computer name? then after does the workgroup have a name

Windows firewall is go to Control Panel and windows firewall should be there

12. latin_l3oi

Yep, I have a Computer Description and a Compture Name, and every PC is in the same Workgroup.

Am I allowed to post images up (print screen) ?

Umm, OK. I'm not sure what I did but now I can see My PC when I click on "View Workgroup Computers"

13. latin_l3oi

I ran the Network Setup Wizard again on all computers but still I have trouble viewing other computers on the network. :(

I'm a little confused because sometimes I can access "View Workgroup Computers" and I can only see my computer but other times I can't even click on that because a message will pop up saying that the workgroup is not accessible and that the network path was not found. :confused:

Another thing I would like to mention is my Network Connections, I don't think it's setup properly.

There's the Internet Gateway, it says:

Internet Connection, Enabled, Internet Connection.

There's the network bridge, it says:

Local Area Connection 2, Disabled, Bridged.

Local Area Connection, Enabled, Bridged.

Network Bridge (Network Bridge) 2, Enabled.

I'm not too familiar with these, but if anyone is, could u please help.
    I would really appreciate it.

Thanking in advance,

latin_l3oi

14. brain_damage

can all the PC's ping the router?

have you tried reseting the router

15. latin_l3oi

Yep, all the PCs can Ping the router.

But still nothing.

I'm thinking of Uninstalling the firewalls on every PC and running the Network Setup Wizard again on all of the Computers.

But I'm thinking of using different settings,

In the Network Setup Wizard, I'm selecting:

"This Computer Connects to the Internet directly or through a network hub. Other Computers on my network also connect to the internet directly or through a hub."

I'm thinking of selecting that on every Computer.

Because currently, I've got the computers connected in a way that Only One Computer connects to the internet and shares among the rest. This means that if the host computer is turned off, none of the other PCs are able to use the internet.

I figured that, If the Modem is connected to the router. I guess, it should be possible to allow all the PCs to have access to the internet without the need for One PC always staying on.

I'm not too sure about this though. I'm still a little bit concerned about the security risks and if it's possible to share files using these settings.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations about my connection configuration.
    I'd really appreciate it.

latin_l3oi

16. brain_damage

The best way is to connect the modem to the WAN port on the router then all the PC's connected to the LAN ports.

that's the way most networks are configures.

most routers have a harware firewall in them.

17. latin_l3oi

Yep the computers are all connected that way.

But I couldn't manage to share files, so I downloaded "Network Magic" of the net and it did it all. I can now share files !!! :yes: But it's a 30 day trial...

But I still don't know how to make all the computers stay online, once a specific computer turns off, the internet connection gets cut off.

I forgot to mention this earlier but before I bought the router I had a little network between me and my bro. It was connected by a crossover cable from his comp to my comp. He had the internet connection and it would share with my computer.

Now that I've got the router and all the computers are connected to the router. His computer still acts like the host computer for sharing the internet.

I think it has to do with a "Cable Login" that runs everytime he turns on his PC.
    The "Cable Login" connects him automatically to the internet.

So I think that maybe Uninstalling that "Cable Login" could solve the problem, I'm not sure though.

Because it's the router that's suppose to connect to the internet not One Computer, eh?

Any suggestions and recommendations would be highly appreciated,

latin_l3oi

18. latin_l3oi

D-Link DI-704UP - Bigpond Cable [AUSTRALIA]

I fixed my Internet Connection. :smartass:
    After a long struggle, I found out the problem was all with Telstra's "Heartbeat".

I would really like to help other people if they experience the same problem I had, so I'm leaving a link to a guide to help solve the problem.

If anyone has trouble configuring their D-Link DI-704UP with Bigpond Cable, the first step I suggest u take is Download and Install the latest Firmware from the D-Link website.

The firmware fixes the "heartbeat" problem.

But fortunately Bigpond announced the heartbeat is goin' to be phased out over the next 12 months. :clap:

RIP - Bigpond Heartbeat
    No More Bigpond Heartbeat
    Bigpond's New Billing System - No "Heartbeat"

If downloading the Latest Firmware didn't solve the problem, try the following Guide, I found it very useful. ;)

D-Link DI-704UP Setup Guide

I hope this fixes ur D-Link DI-704UP problem with Bigpond.

latin_l3oi

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006