1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless for dummies! please help!

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by rea_milton, Jul 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brain_damage

brain_damage D-A-L Team Member (UK)

No problem being away we all need a break sometimes :)

can you go Start >> Settings >> Control Panel >> System >> Hardware >> Device Manager >> click on the + next to network adapters.
    can you please tell me the name of the network adapters

2. rea_milton

rea_milton Techie7 New Member

I only seem to have one..
    Intel(R) PRO/100 VE network adapter

3. brain_damage

you should have 2 if you have wireless

what make and model is your laptop

4. rea_milton

it is a toshiba qosmio F20 with Intel Centrino

5. brain_damage

by googling I've found a few toshiba qosmio F20 with Intel Centrino some seem to be wireless others aren't.

have you got the booklet and discs that came with it

6. rea_milton

i only hae the booklet and the recovery disc. the booklet says, ''the computer's wireless communication function supports wireless LAN devices''

does that mean once you insert a network card?

7. brain_damage

it should be wireless without a wireless card then.

did you set the computer up or what it already set up when you got it.

can you go to control panel and go to add hardware wizard and see if the wizard can find you wireless card.

8. rea_milton

hi, it doesn't have any hardware that has the word wireless in it. should it say intel pro wireless or something like that? I have the recovery disc for it, would that restore factory settings, including the wireless adapter?

9. brain_damage

looking at your reply on the ipconfig/all you only seem to have 1 network card and a wireless adapter is not listed, so it may not be wireless.

was your laptop new?

10. rea_milton

no, it's approx 8 months old

11. brain_damage

sorry to be a pain...can you please run this scan http://www.d-a-l.com/hardware-scan.php and copy the details back here. so far it looks like you've not got a wireless adapter in the machine :confused:

12. rea_milton

hmmm. kind of defeats the purpose of having a 'wireless' switch on it! stupid machine. I'll check just now......

13. marc

marc Techie7 New Member

hello........can you make sure you wan is enabled in start-->control panel--> network connections? and can you also disclose who is your isp please this will aid the problem

14. brain_damage

This thread has been Closed. as there has been no responce from the member that submitted the original post for a month, the thread has been closed to stop other users hijacking it.

If you started this thread and would like us to continue working on it, please send a Private Message to Me and I'll reopen the thread. If you have a different problem, please start a new thread.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.