1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fix for flash player (viewing video)

Discussion in 'General Security Issues and Questions' started by Bear, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Bear

Bear D-A-L Elite Member

1 person likes this.
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Thanks for the tip Bear!

I have noticed on certain streams I was advised to install Flash Player and then it always says it is installed successfully.

Anyway I've followed your tip and hopefully that will sort that!

[​IMG]

3. Bear

Bear D-A-L Elite Member

Your welcome jephree, yeah I was having the same problem. :)

4. BucNut

BucNut Techie7 New Member

I've been having the same problem, but this fix didn't work for me, as I couldn't see the flash movie after the install. Any ideas?

5. AWHarrisjr

AWHarrisjr Techie7 New Member

I'm new here and not sure this is the correct place to post the question. It is, however, related to the Flash Player. I noticed about two weeks ago that I was being prompted to download the flash players on Yahoo and a few other sites. The problem was that it had previously been downloaded. I've tried the fixes suggested in the support section on the website. When I attempt to reinstall the software I receive a message that it has been successfully installed. Nevertheless the sites requiring the flash plug-in still fail to display the content. I used the Virgin Records website because it uses a lot of flash software and have not been able to view the content. Just on a whim, I tried to check to see if I would have this problem upgrading any other software. I tried to get the most recent upgrade for Java and the same thing happens. The website verifies that I need the upgrade, allows me to download the software, but then indicates that it STILL needs to be installed. I'm usually pretty technologically saavy, but this is beyond me.

I am running Windows XP Home Edition. I am using Internet Explorer 7 (I've checked all settings and they conform to those needed to download and use the Flashplayer), and recently upgrade my Windows Media Player 11 and experienced a lot of issues with licenses for downloaded content, etc., etc. These were finally resolved after talking with a technician over the telephone at Walmart Music. I am wondering if any of these "upgrades" have perhaps screwed up my registry? I'm at my wits end. Sorry for the long FIRST POST!

6. Kazna3

Kazna3 Techie7 New Member

FYI, Flash 9.0.28.0 has been released, which also fixes some crashes!
    Also, J2SE(TM) Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10 has been released, which should also fix some (Java-related) crashes.

Both will fix many errors.

7. AWHarrisjr

Thanks for your reply. For the Flash problem, I uninstalled it. Restarted the computer and reinstalled the player. Right now it is working fine. My fear is what happens when I have to shutdown and restart the computer. As far as the Java problem is concerned, I used the page to test my software and was informed that I have the latest version installed. Hopefully, things will be well with the PC for a while! Once again, thanks for the assistance!

8. AWHarrisjr

I'm back. Another question: The fix that you gave me concerning reintalling the flash player works. However, if I turn off the computer, I have to reinstall everything. I found that out this morning as I was trying to view videos on MSNBC's website. Any other suggestions as to why this might be happening? Anything you can offer is greatly appreciated.

9. Kazna3

Hi AWHarrisjr

What exactly is it that you have to reinstall repeatedly?

Were you having any problems before this with IE?
    When did you upgrade to IE7 and has it been running well, ever?

10. AWHarrisjr

Sorry I wasn't clear. I have to reinstall the Flash player repeatedly. If I visit a site that requires the Flash plug-in, the content will not show and I am prompted to "GET FLASH." After the download, I see the "Successfully" installed message on the page. I then return to the page I was trying to view and nothing happens. The only time I seem to be able to see anything requiring Flash is if I uninstall and reinstall it. I am about to reinstall it again after running all of my Windows utilities (defragmenter, disk clean-up, etc.). I also ran a utility to clean and repair my registry. The system is supposedly "clean".

As far as IE 7 is concerned, I've experienced no other problems. It seems to run fine. But, perhaps the flash problem is related to my upgrade. Thanks once again for your reply.

11. Kazna3

Ah, registry cleaners again! :eek:

They are not always good for your system, with exception of ones like RegSeeker.

Uninstall Adobe FlashPlayer following this: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157
    After that reboot your system.
    Then install it again using the link I provided before.
    See if that works.

After this, don't use the reg cleaners unless you know what they are deleting and you make a backup of it. I would recommend RegSeeker though, made by Hover.

12. AWHarrisjr

Thanks again. I went with a Registry cleaner recommended by C-NET. Also backed up the registry. I will look into RegSeeker.

Right now, the Flash Player is up and running again. As mentioned earlier, the problem seems to occur after I shut down and restart the computer. The system acts as if Flash was never installed. I am then prompted to reinstall it. After I do the reinstall the content fails to show.

I am going to try your solution should I encounter this problem again. Thanks!

13. BucNut

BucNut Techie7 New Member

Thanks for the advice about Firefox. :clap: I've been thinking of downloading it for about 2 years, and don't know what took me so long. Flash works just fine there, no problem at all! Thanks again!

14. han_auk

han_auk Techie7 New Member

Hi,

i was having problems with the flash player, and i tried what you suggested and it worked. so thankyou very much....