1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stop: C0000218 systemroot/system32/config/software

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Jaywhatever2, May 3, 2006.

1. Jaywhatever2

Jaywhatever2 Techie7 New Member

Hi, I desperatly need you great people's help again.. Maybe somebody here knows what to do, as from today, my computer doesnt want to start up normally anymroe (I got lucky that I could get it starting now, so I don't dare to restart it anymore :? )

I have recently installed this program PowerShadow, wich gives another possibility at start to chose, or it's just xp or it's PowerShadow mode, I didnt really use it cause I was just testing it, but as from today I could only get on my computer without the blue screen error with powershadow (it's been ont he computer for days now, so I don't think it's its fault..)

The error I get is: C0000218 {D Systemroot/system32/config/software
    something about a register or journal or whatever :? and that it's emptying the memory or stuff :| (I haev to add that my computer doesnt like my network card either, so I always get a blue screen when i close it down and frequently get errors because of it, yes I have to buy a new one, it just never came to it yet :( ) Then it restarts itself and usually start all over, same blue screen, and such.

I've searched a lot of information, couldnt find anything useful. I heared it could be my hard drive dying, it could be my fans, it could be this or that, so i'm confused.

I recently installed windows XP again, I can't install the updates (like SP2, it says it fails) I tried to install XP again, but this time I cannot do a repair :( it doesnt give me the choice to.. Does this mean I have to format my drive? oh I sure hope not =(
    I tried scan /SFC and a SCNDSK.. I used up my recourses...

Anyone knows a solution??

2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

3. Jaywhatever2

Oh thank you Jephree! Going to try that out!!

edit: how do I know I have Original Equipment Manufacturer or not....? :$

"OEM installations create passwords and user name that did not previously exist."

is this why I could never do a repair with the R ? (I could do a repair when I clicked enter and then chose to repair it rather then installing a new version, but not straight Repair with R, cause then it asks me for my admin password, when I give it, it refuses it, wich is impossible cayse Im the only admin if this computer)

"The easiest option with OEM copies of XP is to reinstall XP using the manufacturer’s recovery disks."

this means i'm going to have to format huh.... :'(

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  4. jephree

Sorry I missed your post. When you edit a post there is no notice of it.

First off pressing R from the XP disk is entering the Recovery Console.

For a Repair Install do not press R.

OEM means that XP was pre-installed on your computer. This means that the computer manufacturer was the final editor of XP and it's options including Recovery.

If you bought your own XP CD from Microsoft then you have a standard XP CD.

The Recovery Console asks for a password. If you have not set one you just press Enter.

5. Jaywhatever2

Yes exactly, that's what I mean, I don't press R cause it never worked for me, cause then it asks for a password, when I use my password it doesnt work, so I could never use R, the repairs I did where always by pressing enter (like installing windows again,) and then doing a repair, wich it doesnt allow me to do anymore, that option does not exist anymore, I can only reformat or install a new version (wich I did one time before, and only screwed up my computer more then ever, so I know that's not a solution)

I do think windows was pre installed on the computer yes, I bought the computer, and windows was already installed, I have the installation cd too though (that's how I could peform repairs (not using the R) before)

6. jephree

There should be a way to return that computer to its' factory settings.

What is the exact make and model of the computer?

The manual should have these instructions.

7. Jaywhatever2

Yeah I supose, but then it's reformating, and losing all configurations.

I tried a backup once again and could finnaly perform a SCNDSK and install the updates and reboot normally :? I hope it's not just a temporary fix, but I'm afraid it's a lingering problem.

8. coyote556

coyote556 Techie7 New Member

i have the same error message and i am dying to get my files back. i am a little worse off than you, i cannot get my computer to boot at all. all i get is the blue screen with the "stop: C0000218 systemroot/system32/config/software" message. is there anyway to get the thing to boot up so i can get my files back. i built my system with an oem copy of windows xp home which i purchased from Newegg. if the worst case senerio is i have to buy a second hard drive, can i install it and load windows on it, then get the files off my old drive like a slave? if so, how would i hook up the old drive as a slave. if anyone can help at all, it would be great. i am freaking out here. thanks

9. Jaywhatever2

Maybe if you keep restarting it like I did it will finnaly get to it? have you tried the reinstalling without reformating (didnt work for me but you never know..) or in safe mode (so you can try something else) I know I managed to do a backup, but mycomp is still unstable (My mcafee still freezes up my whole system everytime it scans and such), but no more blue screen (yet..) :? I thought about a secundairy harddisk too

10. jephree