1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wires, Wires and Wires (DSL Ones...)

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by thoford75, Mar 16, 2006.

1. thoford75

thoford75 Techie7 New Member

I have a computer with a broadband connection with a wireless router upstairs in my room. When i want to connect to the internet i have to take the dsl cable from my computer all the way downstairs and plug it in to the phone. Is there anyway i can connect without having the dsl wire all over the place (instead of putting the cable UNDER the carpet or moving the computer downstairs)? Would installing a phone line in my room next to the computer be expensive? Thanks! :D

2. madmikejt12

madmikejt12 Dedicated Member

well, if you wanted a phone socket extension (comeing off your main one) would probably cost £5-£15 if you did it your self, also depends what length cable you need (its not hard, i fitted one and im 15, depends how you feel about it though) i think i saw a phone line extension kit in the argos catalogue
    but fore a main one i.e. having a splitter on the main phone line and having your normal one AND an extra main one in the room your computer is in would be quite expensive, my nan payed about £115 for hers.

Why plug it into the phone?

i think i kind of get what you mean.... this might be worth looking at from maplin: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34899&criteria=phone line extender&doy=20m3

there is a problem though:
    Q) can I buy additional recievers to have additional handsets working or will I have to buy the complete set again to do this - HG Wells
    A) Maplin don't sell additional recievers and in the kits we sell both the transmitter and reciever units are keyed to each other so you cannot buy multiple units and just use the recievers with an existing set-up. As the kits are keyed to each other you can use multiple units in a building with multiple lines without any interference. It will not work with broadband (ADSL) enabled lines as it cannot handle the ADSL carrier signal.

Q) I just want to confirm that the wireless phone line extender means that I can connect to the internet using this system. Can I plug in to this socket for my internet connection without having to connecting it by cable to the main phone line? - Fatima Sultana
    A) It is possible for dialup, but not broadband. Please note that it will only transfer data at a maximum speed of 33kbps

you could also get an extension: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=922&criteria=PHONE LINE splitter&doy=20m3
    you can get it up to 20m, this may slow broadband speeds down slightly. if you only have one socket but want your phone and extension plugged into one socket, you will need a splitter (i think that is what they are called) i couldnt find one on maplin so if you want one, PM me your adress and i will send you one, i have loads of accesories lying around that we dont use.
    i also have an extension if you want that, its not that long though so i dont know if it will be big enough (i think its 5m) and also, some of the plastic covering has split, the wires are fine and each individual wire still has its plastic covering.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  3. madmikejt12

4. thoford75

Thats great! Thanks so much for your help!

5. madmikejt12

which one are you going for?

Please note, i dont know how much speed will be lost if you get an extension from your existing socket

6. thoford75

I have purchased a wireless NIC card for my computer

7. madmikejt12

8. madmikejt12

just got there before me :) lol

glad you sorted it :D

Mike :)

9. thoford75

Thanks for your help anyway! :)

10. thoford75

I have encournted a new problem now...There are no plug sockets by my phone line and my wireless router requires AC power....any ideas?

11. madmikejt12

well, you have 3 options.
    Option 1) get a big extension lead going from an existing socket to near your router
    Option 2) move your router to where there is an existing socket and get a phone line extension
    Option 3) use a different type of network (i.e. wired) if posible
    Option 4) get another socket fitted near your router, this can cost andthing from around £50 depending on how far away an existing socket is and how much work needs to be done to hide the wires (i.e taking up floorboards etc) when i got a socket fitted, they put the wires under the floorboards and then gave us a choice of either chizeling out the wall and hiding it completetley and then plaster over it or have a rigid plastic cover going up the wall to hide the wires, we went for this one because it was cheaper and involved less work. my socket is about a meter or two off the floor though because my TV is on brackets on the wall.... the electrician will tell you what can be done when you get an estimate done

12. thoford75

I think i have the sollution....please tell me if you think this will work....
    I have purhcased a 12v lead acid battery and connecting cables so that it will hook up to the router. I will have to charge it every 3days or so but it seems the only way...what do you think?

13. madmikejt12

what current does the router require? (should say on the plug if it has a built in transformer... "???Ma" and what current does the battery produce?

if there isnt any/too much difference, this should work if you replace/add a connector so it plugs in to the router.

the only reasons this should not work:
    1)different current/voltage
    2)the transformer is built into the router (unlikely)

hope this helps,

Mike :)

14. thoford75

The plug says:
    INPUT:100-240v ~ 50/60hz 0.5A
    OUTPUT: 15.0v 1.0A

My battery says:
    AM 12.72(12Volt 7.Ah)

Will this work?

15. madmikejt12

the output from the plug is 1A
    the battery is 7Ah

this means, if you leave your router on constantly, it will last 7 hours (using a 1A current) before the battery needs recharging.

there is also a slight voltage difference, i dont know if this will affect it as it is only 2.28v

i would put a fuse in there aswell, i think the lowest you can easily get is 3A, as the appliance is only 1A then the 3A fuse should be suitable.

you may want to buy a fuse holder for the fuse aswell.

16. madmikejt12

on the router, where you plug it in, it should say 15v and then something else, does it say ac or dc?

i think it will say dc but not sure, if it says DC, it is better because the battery is DC, i dont think i would use it if it was AC, you could try it if you want, if nothing happens take it out, do not leave it in

hope it works,
    Mike

17. thoford75

It's DC. How would i fit a fuse? There is no plug...

18. thoford75

Can anyone think of any other way? Why cant they make battery powered wireless routers or wireless filters that dont require plug sockets!? arrhhh!

19. madmikejt12

you do not need a plug to add a fuse, you will need a fuse holder though which you will be able to buy from most electrical shops, you just have 2 wires from the battery and on one of the wires, you connect the fuse holder and then connect both wires to the dc connector (also available from most electrical shops)
    so you have: (ignore the dots at the top and in the middle)
    ................... .... ______
    ______ + _____|FUSE |_____
    battery |. . . . . . ---------- . . . |DC connector -->Router
    ______ | - ________________|

Sorry if this is hard to understand.
    Hope this helps
    Mike

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  20. thoford75

No that makes perfect sense thanks. Just wondering if the battery will only last 4 hours if it would be worth it. There must be another way!!