1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless network

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by clairelovestlc, Nov 6, 2005.

1. clairelovestlc

clairelovestlc Techie7 New Member

G'day.

im looking at getting a wirless network for my house, either as an xmas prezzie from my dad or somthing im going to buy in the new year.

first things first, we have a 3 story house, set up as follows.

(see pic) the funny blob in the left is the main phone point, ive added it coz aol says u have to use it.. i dont at the moment, and never intend to as its in the dining room of all places, but its labeled never the less

STUDY 1 is my study, and the main study, its the only place using our aol connection atm, and will have the main printer ( which needs to be accesses by the other pc/laptop)
    this computers running on windows xp professional

Study 2 is kind of irrelivent, its my dads office and will not be added to the network, as the laptops strickly work use only and all a bit complicated ( ive included it on the pic, as he wants to buy himself a pc for personal use, and no doubt when he does, that will be added to the network.)

Study 3 this has my old pc in it, which 2 be honist is a bit knackered, but seem to meet the minimum specs, so shouldnt be a problem. this is used pretty much only by my mum, i gave her it simply to keep her off my pc and out my way ( im so nice arnt i).
    she will also need access from that pc to my printer down here.
    Its running on windows xp home ( im not sure if it has sp2, as i havent used it for sometime, but i iwll be putting it on there if it hasent already got it)

I also have a laptop, which will need to be used anywhere in the house or garden ideally, it already has wirless lan, so shouldn’t be a problem and wont need a wirless card or anything which is using xp professional sp2

Is the fact that ones of the computers uses xp home going to be a problem at all?

I currently use AOL platinum 2meb broadband ( don’t laugh, it’s the only company that supply broadband to my village except BT, who were being arsey. And they apparently offer support for:

Thomson SpeedTouch 580 Wireless ADSL Router
    Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Router

(so it seems like a good idea to go with one of those, in case I bugger something up, although if they are both rubbish, let me know and ill go with linksys or somthing)
    Which of these 2 is better? There’s quite a big price difference between them , but spec wise they seem to be the same ( also I wont actually buy direct from AOL, as there going to be overpriced)
    Next question: Ideally the wireless routers going to be in my study and connected to my pc… is this going to be a problem with the other pc being 2 floors up? I would have guessed it would have to be at the highest point.

Now my laptops already got wireless lan, so that isn’t a problem, but neither of the 2 desktops do, so Whats better a 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter or 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Network Adapter? The USB idea seems far less complicated, but are there any downsides to it?.

Thankyou for any help or advice u can offer

clairey

Attached Files:

2. brain_damage

brain_damage D-A-L Team Member (UK)

it shouldn't realy matter that one's using XP Home.

it should work downstairs as it uses RF to transmit the signals and they have a good range. (great in the summer sitting in the garden with your lappy connected to the net, you need never be away from us even when it's hot outside...lol)

if you go with the USB adapter youy only need 1 and you can swap it between PC's, but PCI cards are easy to put in

when you go wireless be careful all your neighbours don't use your internet connection

3. clairelovestlc

Shouldnt be a problem, firstly: im planning to encrypt it, Secondly if i can work out how, i the neigbours arnt near enuff ( we live in the middle of no where) and the only one who could possibally be near enuff is in his 80's and i doubt use the internet by the looks of him...

If im honist the main reason i want wireless is so i can use the net in the garden hehe... i wonder if it'll reach to the bottem our garden ( very unlikely.. ill be ell impressed if it does)

The main reason i didnt decide on a pci card is it looks a bit scary to put in, but if one u guys ( when it get it) can descrive how to put it in (oooh er) ill go that route.. once its in, its in...if not will get a usb adaptor fo each because, if w unplug them, my mum will loose it/ suck it up the hoover/ accidentilly put it in the freezer... i dont let her touch nething electrical, ill put them in, and tell her not too touch.

thankyou for your speedy reply.

* passes a chunk of chocolate fudge cake to say thanx*

4. brain_damage

brain_damage D-A-L Team Member (UK)

nice cake home made?

we'll help you with fitting a PCI card

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/pc_building/fitting/adapter_cards/

5. clairelovestlc

of corse its home made:) its also got rum in it.

thankyou for your help, ill tell my parents what parts i need, and wioll hopefully get them for xmas, and ill come back for help while im setting it up

6. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

The PCI card will be easy to fit ... but I'd still go with USB. It's just easier and more flexible. You never know when someone's going to come round with a laptop and you want to stick them on your network for the day ... or one of your PCs packs up and you replace it with a laptop ..... or your dad gets his new laptop and you decide that that means you aren't going to need your mum's PC any more.

Even as an IT guy who builds PCs regularly, I'm still going to buy a USB adaptor for the second PC that I'm going to put on my wireless network.

Also (and I haven't looked at the Netgear in detail), bear in mind that it will definitely have to be one with a strong signal as you have such a big house with lots of walls and floors blocking the signal from the top to bottom of the house. Having said that, it's not a bad idea to get one that AOL say they actually approve (that's quite unusual so make the most of it!). Of the two, I'd go with the Netgear, purely as that's a very popular model so likely to be free of bugs now .... and I'd never even heard of Thomson making wireless routers.

7. clairelovestlc

i was going to go with the netgear one anyway i think... amazon hadent even heard of the thompson one ( neither had i) and my old school used to use a netgear router for its wireless network, so iknow there pretty ok... that and the silvers pretty and matches all the stuff for my study!!

(if im right) all i need is 1 router ( which will plug into my main pc) and 1 wirless adaptor (for the pc upstairs) i wont need anything for my laptop as its already got wireless, and as the routers plugged into my main pc i wont need a wireless card for that. Is that right?

My final decisions are( i think):

Netgear DG834G Wireless ADSL Router (amazon £64 41 cheepest so far)
    Netgear WG111 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter (amazon £26.48 cheepest so far)

gonna keep looking to see if i can beet those prices though

thankyou guys :)

chocolate fudge cake for everyone!

8. DJNafey

Sounds like you've got it exactly right :)

You could, of course, also buy a USB wireless adaptor for the main PC to avoid having to run a cable between the PC and the router if you wanted to. Don't forget that, if you do decide to have the main PC cabled to the router, you'll need to buy a CAT5 cable as well if the router doesn't come with one!

9. clairelovestlc

CAT5 cable *stairs at u blankley* closest ive herd of is a RJ45 cable... is that the same thing?

this is the info that aol give for that specific router ( see attached info)

im debating wether to just bite the bullet and buy it myself this weekend rather than waiting, im impatient

ps best offer ive found now is:

Buy a Netgear DG834G Router and claim a free Netgear WG111 Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter. on amazon

total price being £64.41

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  10. DJNafey

CAT5 is the type of cabling itself, whereas RJ45 is the type of connector plug on the end of the cable. But, when you're talking about home networks, it all means the same thing :)

11. clairelovestlc

ordered should be here in abotu a week... now i just hope it works... its on my dads credit card as a "xmas prezzie" he said i could do it before u ask ( hes away in scottland but i know his number off by heart) dont know if i have to wait till xmas to use it though

12. clairelovestlc

i recieved my network today, and ive set it up... my main pc ( to which the wireless router is connected) is working fine.

but i cant get it to work on my laptop

my laptops detecting the network, and its connecting to it. but i cant for the life of me get it to connect to the internet!!!!!!

aol keeps saying "An error occurred while connecting you to the Internet. The problem may be that your DNS (Domain Name Server) is unreachable or unavailable. which apparently is due to my firewall ( acording to the forign block at aol help reading from a script!) but as i told him.

any ideas dudes?

13. clairelovestlc

fixed it... i dont know how, but i did yell at the aol "technition" for being stupid.. i dont know how i fixed it, i pushed lots of buttons and all of a sudden it just worked, stoopid aol software

14. DJNafey

I've got the same problem with my new wireless router which I'm trying to connect to my existing BT Broadband connection .... except that I don't have the benefit of a main PC that is working! I've been on dial-up on my laptop for a week now and it's driving me nuts :( Spent about 8 hours so far trying to sort it out - my laptop sees the router, no problem at all - I just can't make the router go into the Internet :(

Any chance you could come round and push my buttons?! ;)

15. clairelovestlc

lol ill be there about lunch time 2morrow... put the kettle on

i ended up setting up another wireless network, paralell to the one that i use to connect, to which i told my computer it was a pc who i was connecting to.... it didnt exist, so didnt connect, but for some reason it kick started my other network, and its been working * touch wood* ever since
    ive just brought my laptop up 2 the 3rd floor ( where i am now) and the signals still "excelent" so thasta good sign, if its not raining 2morrow, imma c if it will work at the bottem our 1/4 acre garden.. and it it does, i might continue walking into the field behind us, and see just how far it can go * walks to france... hey nafey it still works*

expect me on here all 2morrow morning i got a 3 hour break between lectures and nothing to do, so i expect someone to be here 2 entertain me!!!

16. clairelovestlc

oh and ps, if u physically connect the router to a pc can u get online? if not i can always post u an old braodband modem i have and dont use, if thatll save u from dial up till u get ur network running

17. clairelovestlc

Wirless internet connections set up now... ive been trying to set it up to shair my files too..could someone please enlighten me on how to do this as im confused... thanx claire

18. DJNafey

Have you got File And Print Sharing set up in your network connection? You probably did this already through the Windows XP Home Network Wizard.

Go into Windows Explorer (or My Computer), right-click on the drives or folders you want to share and then select Sharing from the menu. Create a new share and give it a name such as SHARED or C_DRIVE or something like that. Then add permissions for who is allowed to access the shared drive or folder. Hey presto, your other PCs/laptops should then see the shared drive or folder when they browse to your computer in My Network Places.

:)

I've been away for a couple of days but still haven't got my router to connect to the Internet since spending about 4 hours messing about with it the other night. So I've come home and had to retrieve about 50 emails and do some Internet Banking, surfing, etc, etc on dial-up! :(

19. clairelovestlc

i didnt use xp's network set up wizard, it kept experiecanng a random error and telling me to enter settings manuely. i just used the software that came with my router.. is this why its now working?

sorry im really slow

ps i dont quite understand "Then add permissions for who is allowed to access the shared drive or folder" how do i do that?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  20. clairelovestlc

ignore

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005