1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Installation

Discussion in 'Alternative Operating System Help' started by townsbg, May 30, 2005.

1. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Does anyone know how to install Linux on a computer. I'm trying to set up a dual boot with XP & have already set up a partition for Linux but I can't get the installation started. What do I do??? :confused:

2. brain_damage

brain_damage D-A-L Team Member (UK)

Pinched off another forum I use

OK listen up: I have the best way to dual boot hands down. You'll have to reload windows, though, 'cause partition resizing causes poor performance ever after in windows. The sizes I mention are relative, here I am talking about an 80 gig drive. As my friend floyd pointed out, you can easily dual-boot if you have two drives - install windows on the first drive and linux on the second. The main focus of this how-to is partitioning a single drive so that people with one drive don't shy away from linux.

Always read a tutorial before going through with the procedure. I recommend this because, for instance in Step 4, if you aren't sure how to do it, you're stuck half-way through the installation without a PC to read another How-To!!

Step 1
    Pop in the Windows cd. Reboot. Delete ALL partitions. Make a partition big enough for windows + apps, like 20GB. Make another HUGE one for keeping all your music, downloads, movies, pictures, etc... leaving enough free unpartitioned space for linux (say 20GB at the end of the drive).

Step 2
    Choose to install on the first part (20GB) as NTFS full format (not quick).

Step 3
    Boot into windows when done and select the HUGE partition and right click - format full as FAT32, NOT NTFS. This will now be writable in both OS's!! Great for listening to the same MP3s in either, etc.

Step 4
    Pop in mandrake (preferably the newest stable version) and reboot. Select the left over free space for / (or divvy it up for /, /usr, /home). Create another 800Mb partition for swap (on another harddrive if possible - You'll get a bit better performance / stability this way).
    Note: If you aren't sure how to partition your harddrive (or have no idea what I'm talking about) be sure to read this Filesystem Layout Partitioning How-To.

Step 5
    Be sure to install mandrake's boot loader to the MBR (master boot record). All done!

A perfect system. Now if you EVER have to update/upgrade either OS, all your music, downloads, etc stay! Enjoy!

I promise this system won't let you down. I say do it right the first time and enjoy everafter. Trust me - you'll want to upgrade both OSes eventually, and windows more often 'cause it always degrades slowly...

In the case where you reload windows, it'll write over the boot record and boot straight into win. Don't be afraid, linux isn't gone. You just boot off the first mandrake disk, press F2 and type rescue. One option is repair the bootloader/MBR. Done!

I did it this way and dual booted fine

3. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

I already have the partitions set up. I created a 20 for Linux with the rest for Windows & I don't see why I would have to repartition. I don't really care about sharing a partition. I chose Debian 'cause thats what I was reccomended. I have have already downloaded & burned the disks so I don't really want to switch to any other distribution. The problem is that I can't get the installation started. When I put it in it does nothing. The only thing the manual on the disk has done is to make me wonder I have the correct hardware for Linux, or does that not matter??? Do I really need to uninstall/reainstall xp & set up new partitions--I already have a FAT 32 partition that I have reserved just for Linux.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2005
  4. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

5. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Thank you for the links. They provided valuable insight on what I need to do for the installation. It was apparent to me that the first thing to check on was the BIOS...it said to make sure that PnP OS was off. However I checked that & it was already off. I tried (again) to boot up from the disk anyway with the same result. The computer won't boot into the installation CD but will just load up XP. Please note that I am not given anykind of menu at all. Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2005
  6. HJThis

HJThis Techie7 New Member

Hello,townsbg & Welcome

Did you check & see if maybe your PC is not booting from
    CD but A:\Drive or if you have a DVD that worked for me

HGD :)

7. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

I only have a reagular CD-ROM; no burer or DVD (yet) & the Cd-ROM is set to as the 1st device to be checked (before the HD, ect). Also I have floppies disabled since I don't have one (yes I know I need one). So what else do you think might be the problem? Signed: a very FRUSTRATED computer user. :mad:

8. jephree

9. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

I did download ISOs & on the 1st attempt it just copied the ISO, but I figured out how to do it so that it would extract the files (ISO Imaging) so there isn't just the 1 ISO file on the disk but many of them. Is there a way to start the installation from Windows? Is there some other application I need to get? :confused: In case it helps I used Nero 6 Ultra Edition.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  10. jephree

It sounds to me like you have not properly burned the ISO image.
    I recommend this link:

http://www.linuxiso.org/

Especially the sub-links on the left-hand menu:

Help with iso images:
    - ISO Image FAQ
    - How to Burn ISOs
    - Verifying ISO Images

Under the FAQ is this section:

Errors with burning & installation:
    1) How do I use this Linux iso to install Linux on my system?
    2) My computer won't boot from the cd. What do I do?
    3) Why do I see one large .iso file on my burned cd instead of files and directories?
    4) Why does the installation program keep asking for the cdrom when it's already in the drive, or states it can't find a file?

11. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

I think I set it up to do it right. Please understand that I copied the ISO on the first try for just 1 file, but the 2nd time it extracted hundreds of files onto the CD. This is how it is supposed to be isn't it? I got XP the same way-off the internet & using the ISO created a CD with hundred of files. I had help with the XP, but on my 2nd try I did it the same way with the same results. I think what this software does is called ISO imaging. I just realized that I can try to boot from the CD using my parents computer. Upon reading this please tell me wether or not I got the right results with the buring of the CD. I think I did on my 2nd attempt. I know I didn't on the 1st. I'll try the CD on my parents computer & let you know the outcome.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  12. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Ok I tried to boot from the CD just like I said I would. 1st I checked & (on the CD I have been using) there are over 21 hundred files. Does that sound right or should it just be 1??? Anyway their computer did the same thing mine has been doing which is to boot into XP. Are there BIOS settings I need to change, & if so what? Is there something in XP that should be changed such as autoexect (spelling?) or is it that Linux needs to be installed before XP? Or perhaps the CD is defective. I could try burning another. What do you suggest??? Also is there a way to star the installation using XP & if so should I do that & how?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2005
  13. brain_damage

brain_damage D-A-L Team Member (UK)

if you've downloaded the iso. nero should burn it to a disc

set nero to burn disc image ...set file as type.. as image files [*.nrg,*.iso..*cue] and it should burn ok that's what I used to burn iso files

14. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

I don't follow you. I have already burned it using Nero...& I burned it that way, but my computer (& my parents computer) won't do anything with it. Any ideas as to why?

15. jephree

Assuming the BIOS is set to boot CD before Hard Drive;
    & assuming the disk is good:

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/isofaq.html#boot

Also this:

http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/verifyiso.html