1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not enough memory to open file

Discussion in 'Desktop / Server Applications' started by pupdoc, Apr 30, 2005.

1. pupdoc

pupdoc Techie7 New Member

I installed two new programs(each 16 Mb), and they were installed on my c drive. When I go to open the file it tells me \\

2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Is that the exact & full error message?

What programs?

Same thing happens with both?

By open file do you mean you try to launch the program?

Any other problems?

How much RAM do you have?

3. pupdoc

Jephree- That is th exact message I get. The two programs are veterinary programs that include client handouts about specific diseases/conditions. The handouts vary in size, but are around 85 kb each. The programs seem to be installed ok, but when I go to open a specific handout file, the message appears. I currently have 384 Mb of ram. Thanks for any help.

4. jephree

Just a quick question: Are you working from within an application such as Microsoft Excel?
    Or are these totally independent programs?

5. pupdoc

I am working in Microsoft works. I have looked every where I know to solve the problem, but because I am so omputer illiterate, I just get more confused. Thanks again. :)

6. jephree

OK ... that can narrow it down ... I am on my out at the moment but found a Works Group to start searching as well as Microsofts Help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];wrk

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.works.win

just from this first glance I would agree that the problem is not your computer memory per se.

I will look into this further tonight ... just wanted to pass this info on.

7. pupdoc

Thank you- I will wait to hear from you.
    Lisa

8. jephree

9. pupdoc

Thanks again. The problem does not involve my printer(working fine) and I have Microsoft Works XP Home edition. I can't even bring the file up to view, let alone print. Any handout that I chose on the program does not come up to view. Till later...

10. jephree

Any other issues with "Works"? Outside of these new programs?

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.works.win/search?q=memory&start=0&

is microsofts public newsgroup dedicated to Works. If you are unfamiliar with Usenet & newsreaders you can go thru this google archive & post a question there for the Works Pros. The only disadvantage of google over a newsreader is the time lag (@12hrs) whereas newsreaders are instantaneous.

Also perhaps a long shot: try to open a file so that you get the memory error & note the exact time.

Then: look in your Event viewer: rt. click My Computer then click Manage then Event Viewer.
    Or: Administrative Tools/Event Viewer or Start/Run/ eventvwr
    Open the system as well as the application tabs & look for X errors. Click error line for details.
    Post back the source & event id especially of errors that seem to coincide with this time.

11. pupdoc

Jephree- Sorry it has been a couple days. The beginning of my weeks does not allow much computer time. I tried what you recommended, but I'm not sure I am getting you what you want. The source ID for the last few Red X problems is W32Time. and the event id's were either 17 or 29. I really have no clue what any of that means, so let me know if it helps or not. Thank you so much....

12. jephree

Did you browse the above link?

Also: Any other issues with "Works"? Outside of these new programs? Trying to determine if the problem is in "Works" or these "programs"?

From the above link there is this check list re: Works:
    I know you said that Printing was not involved with your issues but the above link states repeatedly that "Works" has mysterious issues related to Printer drivers.

As to you W32Time error it is completely irrelevant here but the usual response is:
    This happens on Windows XP. To fix: go to "Control Panel" "Date and Time" and under "Internet Time" uncheck "Automatically synchonize with an Internet timeserver".

13. pupdoc

Most of the entries are concerning HP printers. I am, and have been using, a Brother MFC3220C printer for at least two years. I did unistall and reinstall- no change.I feel like I should just forget the whole thing- I am getting very frustrated....

14. jephree

Any other issues with "Works"? Outside of these new programs? Trying to determine if the problem is in "Works" or these "programs"?

Also can you further describe & or identify these programs.
    Do they have a source? A manufacturer?

15. pupdoc

I do not seem to have any other problems with 'WORKS" as far as I can tell. The program is made by Lifelearn Inc. It is produced by MacNabb House, at the university of Guelph, Ontario, Canada. I have used programs by them before with no problems.
    As always, I am gratefully yours for all your help.
    Lisa

16. jephree

17. pupdoc

I have the "Client Handouts-Feline" and the "Client Handouts-Canine" programs.

18. jephree

Just another quick question.

The lifelearn site offers its' trials for Microsoft Word.

Are you sure these particular programs are compatible with Microsoft Works?

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  19. pupdoc

I guess I'm ignorant enough to think that the Microsft works program includes Micosoft Word. Now what- do I need to install wicrosft Word and then send the program files there? Do I go to a website to download or do I go buy a Cd to install it? Thanks

20. jephree