1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The longest thread - Random discussion

Discussion in 'Chat Room' started by clairelovestlc, Mar 8, 2005.

1. spud

spud D-A-L Team Member (UK)

what slows a download sprrd down is that you may have a 2 meg broadband connection but once you start downloading the two computers are talking to each other so you have two way traffic on your broadband connection which will slow down the bandwidth

2. DJDK

DJDK Techie7 New Member

spud it should not slow it down that much....

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  3. madmikejt12

madmikejt12 Dedicated Member

i had the modem plugged into the router and only 1 comuter was using the internet (at that time)

we have 1Mbps broadband and 11Mbps wireless so, in theory, the internet speed should be just the same with the router (or maybe slightly slower) shouldnt it?

also, AOL told me they use PPPoA (i was previously told they use PPPoE) but my router does not have an option for PPPoA what do i do??

as i said, i get SOME internet connection but it is really slow

4. madmikejt12

got the bandage taken off last week, healed ok but my finger is a slightly different shape :eek: lol

ordered my phone yesturday :D Sony Ericsson w810i on orrange (contract)

250 txts
    250 anytime any network mins
    £1.99 a month for 7 months £35 after that (12 month contract)

works out at about £190
    the phone on pay as you go is £200!!! lol

5. DJDK

DJDK Techie7 New Member

good deal there mike. lol.

i wont be around here much over the next 2 weeks as i have started university, and getting everything sorted down here is a nightmare.... NO INTERNET CONNECTION IN MY HOUSE YET!!!! its doing my nut in. lol

6. madmikejt12

been a delay :( 1st they said the delivery would take longer, then the order was rejected!!! trying again tomorrow lol

7. DJDK

DJDK Techie7 New Member

oooff nasty. and my order has come forward....... our ntl connection is going in on saturday :D:D:D:D:D:D internet at home agian...... but our wireless router is not due untill tuesday :( we ordered it in the one shop for tuesday as our NTL connection was due for thursday.

8. madmikejt12

glad to hear you are getting the internet back :)

what w/less router have you ordered?

9. DJDK

DJDK Techie7 New Member

its a cable router and i havent gota clue, we wanted the cheapest. all the students were buying this one

10. madmikejt12

lol cool :)

im leaving w/less for a bit now

might get a different router with christmas tips this yyear :cool: i got nearly £50 last year!!!

11. DJDK

DJDK Techie7 New Member

ours is costing £35

12. madmikejt12

was GIVEN an 80GB HD today from the man in the pc shop... i was talkin 2 him n it came up in conversation about HD sizes and i said well iv only got a 10GB at the moment, hoping to by a new one soon so he said here ya go, av this 1.... its been used an the only problem is, u cant load windows onto it.... it just wont take it.. so i said how much do you want for it? he said just have it so i said thanks an when i got home, took the hd out of the machine (still connected and plugged the other one in as slave... turned it on *CRACKLE* *SPARK* blown my 10GB HD so i have an un-usable 80gig HD because i havnt got another one... the anoying thing is that i have
    -a 2.5 inch 20GB laptop drive with adaptor (one of the tracks on the pcb for the adaptor has melted therefore doesnt work and the drive MAY be broken)
    -a 1.8 inch hard drives for my mp3 (dont think an adaptor is available)
    -a 1.8 inch HD in my mp3 player connected via usb (motherboard does not support booting from usb)

13. madmikejt12

that 80gig HD that wont boot up windows.... actually does!!!

i can see why he said it didnt work.... i decided to give it a go... set it to master, formatted it, installed windows
    would not boot

took it out, changed to cable select put it in
    it booted up fine :)

shame about my dvd-rw though..... tried that again as i was having a lucky day but it didnt work :( no errors found in device manager, un-intalled and re-installed it.... didnt work.... shows up in device manager and my computer as LITE-ON DVD-RW which is correct... but in my computer when i double click (with or without a disk) it comes up empty but the drive does not spin
    is it the laser or motor do you think?

14. madmikejt12

Having another go at wireless.... this time i ordered a router supported by aol... Thompson SpeedTouch 576 at just under £25 from ebay :cool:

15. AphJN

AphJN Dedicated Member

Hey all...Ever have that feeling that your life just isnt complete without having extreme difficulties? Seems I cant stay out of hospital. I am out again now and I will try to stay up, but I have also found a new interest that is somewhat benificial to my kids...Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends!!! Man! That stuff is as addictive to the pain meds I am on!!!

16. paulthomasno6

paulthomasno6 Techie7 New Member

Are the red and green glasses part of the therapy? :D
    Seriously, sorry to hear you're not well and hope it's over soon.

17. AphJN

AphJN Dedicated Member

Sometimes, its for spacial judgement...Thanks, I am trying. I never thought anyone oculd go through something like this and not be a cancer victim. Oh Well..

18. madmikejt12

hope you are well asap :)

19. Troubled Kid

Troubled Kid Techie7 New Member

i wanna say i like the new backround in dal looks much better :clap:

20. madmikejt12