1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The longest thread - Random discussion

Discussion in 'Chat Room' started by clairelovestlc, Mar 8, 2005.

1. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Personally I don't think that there will ever be A.I. I'll admit that we can and have programmed highly intelligent robots but to program self generating intelligence and self awareness is beyond our abilities and I really think that a robot [or some other computer system] can only ever know what we want it to.

In reality do we really want AI? There have been countless movies involving negatives to AI. Do we want those "stories" to be reality?

2. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

I generally think Sci-Fi movies about AIs going crazy are a little bit... over-the-top.

However, I would say that an AI in the future for me is definitely plausible. Perhaps even inevitable, unless we consciously choose NOT to pursue artificial intelligence. I am personally quite impressed with artificial intelligence and neural networking so far.

I think, though this is just based on pure opinion, that as humans seek to create more and more efficient computers we have nowhere to go but to go towards AIs.

I read a recent article on how the iRobot's 3 laws for Robotics is pure bull and won't work as well. Lol. So if there's a robot uprising we'd be major screwed.

3. rockinteenbabe

rockinteenbabe Dedicated Member

Yeah but tbh films about it are pretty good ^^

4. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

Can't agree with you more. Bicentennial Man is one of my favorite movie of all time.

5. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Are you referring to the 3 laws in iRobot? If so look what happened in that movie? The master computer system followed those so literally that it decided that for our on protection we were better off locked in our homes to protect each other from ourselves and resistors where better off dead. I grant you that movies might be so far off but they could be closer than we could ever imagine which is scary.:taz:
    What I was referring to was the programming of robotic systems either hardware or software. Mainly all programming does is to define if/then conditions under which the software (or hardware) operates. Although with enough conditions this can and has created some very "smart" systems we can't use such programming to program self-awareness or self-generating intelligence or thought. They basically can only know what we tell them.

6. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

I take it that you don't like math. There is a lot of math in chemistry and even more in physics. Actually there is some math in most science in general and in disciplines that use science such as engineering. That is why over here when you for a major in the sciences you typically get a bachelor of science degree and at most places you have to take at least one math course for a BS. Some majors require more and harder math classes than others. In short if you despise math you might want to avoid chemistry (which is much harder than high school chemistry) and especially physics.:whistling I don't believe that biology requires as much math.

7. k_9

k_9 Dedicated Member

I understand that Chemistry requires math and I'm not saying that I despise it, I just don't feel i'd be able to cope with 2 years of being bored to hell. All I am saying is that I prefer Biology because I feel I can become more specialized in that area, however I have had a look at the math requirements and I am above average for the entry level for both Chemistry and Biology. Physics is a definite no-way. I am not that smart and I can generally see my self getting very bored if I attempted to face it. I enjoy the lessons as they are very interesting, I understand the work so far, however when It comes to writing down what Iknow in the exam is where my knowledge does not come across... which is a shame. I need to improve, yes, and with so many prospects in the future I can't fail now.
    We have success just to put ourselves through more hell.

8. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

What I was saying was the same as well, though I didn't bother to clarify myself and therefore probably caused confusion. Here's the article.

9. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Maybe we are missing each other's points but my point is although we have developed very "smart" robots via programming and will in the future develop even smarter robots I don't think that there will ever be any true AI in the form of robot self-awareness and self-generating intelligence [as shown in countless movies such as bicentennial man or iRobot] but that the intelligence they get will strictly be from us due to my previous argument. In reality do we really want AI? I sure the :censored: don't!!!

10. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Too true.:001_9898:

11. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Intelligence is indeed an interesting question. Our own is as artificial as any is.

Most evidence tends to show that human beings are basically developers of technology.

Technology advances. Humans remain pretty much the same creatures of the most recent evolutionary process. We are still animals.

The evolution of Technology in comparison is exponential.

We have always been a slave to Technology and will be ever more so until the infrastructure of that Technology fails.

As many "cyber-punk" scenarios speculate this future will either be a new dark age or else one very divided between classes which it is and has been already.

In one way or another we all work for Technology.

Human intelligence was surpassed a long time ago.

We humans often confuse ideas; opinions; and superstitions for intelligence and if you really look at that picture it is not too hard to see how idiotic we all are.

12. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

Exactly. I'll have to think about the rest but I do agree with that.:rockon:

13. Kaistar

Kaistar Dedicated Member

I find your lack of faith disturbing... LOL!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

That pic can be taken the wrong way....

15. rokytnji

rokytnji Dedicated Member

[youtube]fz42bfzWkWg[/youtube]

1 person likes this.
  16. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

17. rokytnji

I think I know that guy from his style of ride.

18. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

What the :censored:?:confused:

19. rokytnji

20. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member