1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The longest thread - Random discussion

Discussion in 'Chat Room' started by clairelovestlc, Mar 8, 2005.

1. clairelovestlc

clairelovestlc Techie7 New Member

Upgrade or buy new?

hi everybody "Hi Dr Nick" ( sorry little simpsons humor)

you may have read my ongoing thread "computer freezing" and if your interested heres the link http://www.d-a-l.com/help/showthread.php?t=13070

Eveshams coming to pick my pc up monday and have a poke, so see if they can find out the problem, unfortunaly only my new part is covered so if it isnt the graphics card were all stumped, and theyll send it back to me in 5-7 working days, which 2 b honist is a big pain in the bum!

now enuff waffeling, im now debating when i finally get a semi working system back, wether to upgrade it or wether to buy a new one ( throwing the old oneout the 3rd story window of my house, and laugh as it smashes into smitherenes or sell it)

ive never upgraded a pc, although i did a level ict which involved having a poke inside a non working one that had died witha screwdriver and taking bits out. ive also had a look inside mine ( mainly to try and work out what the hells wrong with it)
    its current specs are as follows

Evesham pc, 3 years old
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
    BIOS: Award Medallion BIOS v6.0
    Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    and its got a 100gig hardrive which sincei only reformatted the thing recently is about 80% free

Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: RADEON 9600 SERIES
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI RADEON 9600 Series AGP (0x4150)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: SyncMaster 170T/770D TFT, SyncMaster Magic M17D-AN(Digital)

i do play some games on the pc ( dont laugh but im a huge sims2 fan and am interested in buying doom 3 if i can get a pc to handle it) and would like a more powerful system that can cope with 3d graphics n all that jaz at the same time i download ALOT of music, and i play about editing videos from my camcorder and editing photos from digital camera, i also use the pc for watching dvds n the usual junk.
    id quite like 1gig of ram, and a nice fast good quality ati graphics card.

is this a feasible option? would it be ( relativly) easy to do?
    or am i better off to give up buy a new pc, with a 64 bit processor and knowing tghat the pc will last me for a good few years?
    if i buy new im looking at someing along the lines of an evesham axis 64 str, with all the added optional extras ( minus the screen as i already have a nice enuff one)
    or an evesham evolution lightning, once again with all the options or finally
    a dell dimension 8400 once again with all the top options
    ( im also open to suggestions)

and im on about a £1000 maximum budget ( im a student and i leave for university in a few months, with car insurace of over a thousand pounds due in 8 weeks..so even £1000 is gonna b a push)

thankyou so much

clairey

2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Re: Upgrade or buy new?

As far as upgrading: what is the current Evesham model?

Run this scan & post back the info under these headers:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

System Model

Main Circuit Board

Memory Modules

Local Drive Volumes

We can then see what upgrades your current system will support.

Upgrading is easy & educational :D

As to your dream machine:

Evolution Lightning (Pentium 4 3gig) £728.99 inc VAT (£620.42)

Axis 64 MKR (AMD Athlon 64 3200+) £869.01 inc VAT (£739.58)

Welcome to Evesham Technology

or

Dimension 8400
    XP Home, 2nd Bay DVDRW, Sound Card, Dell 425 Speakers & 2 year Service

$1,389
    $1,039
    After 25% OFF Instantly

Dell

3. clairelovestlc

system model : eveshamvale

Main Circuit Board : Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A7V266-E REV 1.xx
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V266-E ACPI BIOS Rev 1004c 11/13/2001
    Memory Modules :512 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM 1' has 256 MB
    Slot 'DIMM 2' has 256 MB
    Slot 'DIMM 3' is Empty

Local Drive Volumes:
    c: (on drive 0) 100.02 GB 73.60 GB free

and once again, thankyou for your help

and as to my dream machine, well not quite dream, as that would cost me absolutly thousands... this is more of a whats actually afordable machine.
    my dads coming home either 2nite or 2morrow so ill talk it over with him i seem to have him nearly coninced about a new machine, aslong as i pay for it. and as for the upgrade he said hes fine aslong as i dont electricute myself.
    n ive pretty much desided that if i buy new ill go with one of those 2

Evolution Lightning (Pentium 4 3gig) £728.99 inc VAT (£620.42)

Axis 64 MKR (AMD Athlon 64 3200+) £869.01 inc VAT (£739.58)
    but with the higest processor option, ram option and graphics card option on either.. bringing both upto about £1100 ish

4. jephree

Conversation has been copied here from another Thread.....

Other thread merged.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  5. clairelovestlc

Processor
    1.55 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

my dads said if i want to buy a new one its ok, i just have to wait untill i have the money after easter. and i can sell the one i have ( hopfully getting about £180?? ( what a price reduction this thing cost over 2 grand when i bought it!)

thanx for the help, your a star!! :)

6. jephree

About all you can upgrade is your RAM & that alone would not be much of a change.

The Axis 64 MKR looks sweet :D

The only thing I don't like is that it has XP Home.

I would want Pro & preferably I would want it without an Operating System and then buy your own version of XP Pro. That way you always have the ability to repair & reinstall without having the limits of the OEM recovery methods.

Anyway just my few cents :eek:

7. clairelovestlc

I intended on upgrading to xp pro anyway, i have it on my laptop, and deff prefer it.
    Do you have an opinion on windows xp media centre edition? do you think its worth getting? or stick with xp pro?

thanx

clairey

8. clairelovestlc

scrap that, i dont think i want meda centre. xp professional it is..

on the line of graphics card is the 256mb ati radion x800 pro pci- express graphics any good? or is the nvidia ddr 256mb 6800 ultra pci express graphics better?

9. AphJN

AphJN Dedicated Member

Both suck up 2 slots...But the ATI gets higher marks.

10. clairelovestlc

whats the downside to them using up2 slots? will i need one of them for somthing else??

sorry im not all that clever lol obviously the downside is that, theres one slot less if i want to upgrade... but will i actually need it in all likely hood
    ?

11. AphJN

AphJN Dedicated Member

Heat, Less room, but most of what you need will either be on the MB or can be accounted for in USB tech.

12. clairelovestlc

ok thanx again.
    i thimk ill go with the ati card

13. clairelovestlc

Re: Upgrade or buy new? final thankyou

just wanted to offer a quick final thankyou to everyone who has helped me with my on going pc struggle ( firstly to get it working then to upgrade it, then to give up upgrading and buy new)

the pc is being repaired, my dads sorting that out, as im giving him it, as he just wants it for using word n excell and his emails it dosent need upgrading.

Tomorrow morning ill be ordering:

Evesham axis 64sli
    amd athlon 64 processor 3800+
    windows xp professional
    1gb duel chanel ram
    150gb harddrive
    2x 256mb ddr3 nvidia 6800gt pci express graphics
    17" flat screen moniter
    sleek design case
    dvd rom/ cd rw ( 16x)
    multi format 16x duel layer dvd rewriter
    sound blaster audiolofy 2 zs
    altec lansing 5100 speakers
    and a floppy/ 7 in 1 card reader.
    with a few other random bits such as a wirless desktop set
    (£2131) and it should come in about 8-10 days
    yes alot above my budget
    but aslong as i pay my car tax and my own car insurance, dads willing to buy me it as and easter prezzie and part of my bd prezzie in july)
    ( my dads weird with easter.. for my birthday last year i got some clothes, yet for easter i got a brand new car... just the way he works)

If theres anything i can do to say thanx for all your help, feel free to ask, in eternally greatful

love claire

1 person likes this.
  14. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

Very nice Claire :)

Does your dad need a son?! I'm giving my 2.4GHz PC to my nephew for his 8th birthday in a few weeks (lucky devil!) and I want to replace it with a new laptop so I don't mind coming round and being part of your Easter present traditions, lol ;)

15. clairelovestlc

lol! move on in, we got a spair room, ( actually a few spair rooms) ill see if i can convince him to get u a laptop. im an only child, im sure he wouldnt mind a son hehe... my new pc should b here in 1 week whoo

which laptop u looking to get? ive got a sony viao pgc z1xmp (off the top my head i think) its nice looking but dosent really have enuff power in the graphics card... does its job tho

i just got in and found a nice bill for my car insurance on the door step, dosent life suck, i only payed the tax last week!!!! why do all the bills come in when the sun comes out???

16. DJNafey

Going to go for a relatively cheap new Dell I think. As long as it's got a good high-resolution display and plenty of memory, that's all I need really. I'll format it as soon as I get it to ensure it's running as quick as it can and just the way I want it to. Going to get myself an external DVD-writer too as it will also come in handy for when I'm working on other people's PCs or building new ones.

I don't like Sony laptops at all I'm afraid. They install tons of applications, which is great for some people, but it means that they don't run as quick as they should from Day 1. We've recently bought a couple of the ultra-thin, ultra-light ones at the office though (the lightest laptops in the world apparently) - I can't deny that they do make some pretty cool looking kit!

P.S. I'll sell my house and then I'll let you know when I'm coming over, lol ;)

17. clairelovestlc

to be honist i dont like it either!! ive uninstalled all the junk that came with it, dad got me it as an xmas prezzie a year or so ago, he bought it coz it looked pretty, and coz at the time it was one the only laptops with wirless internet built in he could fine, and bluetooth.

pluss clairey likes sony. ok they overcharge by miles, but there stuff is pretty.

i wanted a flat screen sony tv for my study wall ,for xmas but unfortunatly i coudlnt justify that, so i got a toshiba one instead, does its job just fine, and looks nicer than the sony one i picked!!
    now i need to decide what 2 waist money on next.. the db9 is along way off in the future along with the porche boxter and the z8, ill have to wait till i win the lottery for those!!

ps i got a dvd rewriter for xmas , there great little things, rent a film off sky box office, bung it on a dvd voilla.. im getting one with my newpc 2, so errm, u work out the rest.. im not selling them or nething, just for personal use.

ive also put all my old videos onto dvd, and some of our home movies of me as a baby 2.

The next thing im avoiding buying is the playstation 3 ( psp or somthin isnt it) i wasent even allowed a ps2, coz aparently, im a girl and im 2 old! whcih is a shame coz i quite fancy resedent evil 4.. i know its an x box exclusive but its coming out on playsation later in the year..
    im in need of a good new pc game. sims2, and sims2 university are alright but i need gore. ive downloded quite a few demos this week.. doom 3 seems pretty nice n gorey, but the plots kinda lame, ok i like blood n gore, but i also like to get emotionally envolved with the characters. i was a big fan of the resedent evil series, and parasite eve2 back in the day but i cant find anything out at the mo thats remotly simlar.

i also tried moment of silence, which was by far the most boring thing ive ever played. half life 2, seems good, ive been playing that for an hour or so 2day so i may have to buy that.. ne ideas?

ps ill make up ur room ready what do u want for dinner?

lol

clairey

18. DJNafey

Blimey, a girl that knows about computers AND cars - think I could quite enjoy being your "brother", lol ;)

I've never ever had a games console. Always preferred to be out on my bike or playing football or whatever outside when I was a teenager rather than being indoors. However, I've just done up my lounge recently and bought myself a 42" plasma tv and I've kinda decided this weekend that I NEED an X-box, lol.

....... fortunately, the nice people at BarclayCard have been very understanding lately! :)

19. clairelovestlc

how can anyone not like computers and cars? computers coz there ooohhhhh and cars because there pretty and there fast and are by far the coolest thing ever, although im not the best of drivers and do have a tendancy to stall!! ( although i havent in a good 2 months now, so i must be getting better... pluss i havent been driving that long.

i currently have a vauxhall corsa which does its job, and seems to do 3 laps of the earth on 1/4 of a tank of petrol which is pretty handy

what car have u got?

im going to add myself to my dads insurance over the summer on his jaguar xjr, just bacause its flashy and i want to show off to my friends when i pull up at school in it!

i tell u what u can move in, if i can borrow the x box! im in far 2 much debt to afford one, but talking of debt my new pc comes wednesday! cant 2wait

ps happy easter

20. DJNafey

I've got two cars. My absolute pride and joy is my REALLY tuned up 1979 Mini (quicker than a Golf GTi). It's such a boy racer car .... except that I've had it for 8 years now and it's so old that all the Nova Boys that try to race me have absolutely no idea how quick I'm going to be, lol! I've changed pretty much everything that can be changed on it and I love it to bits - it's sooooo much fun. That's what I drive at the weekends.

During the week, when I go to work in a suit, I have to be much more respectable. I've got a Jag too! I did toy with the idea of getting an XJR but I couldn't quite justify it as I was getting rid of my Impreza WRX to save money to spend on my house! So I settled for buying my dad's XJ6 as I knew it was a nice, reliable car that had been looked after. I'm quite keen on the idea of upgrading it to an XJ8 4.0 Sport towards the end of this year though. I think an XJR will still be a little out of my price range in terms of running costs if I'm being sensible but we'll see ........ God, I do love those alloys!

Regarding the petrol, you're dad will completely understand when I say that I get just past the end of my road before I start looking for another petrol station, lol ;) I get about 250 miles on a full tank and that costs me £55 ! :(

Happy Easter :)