1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer restarts

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by RedHawk50, Feb 18, 2005.

1. RedHawk50

RedHawk50 Techie7 New Member

At random times, for unknown reasons, my computer restarts. It has been going on for so long, and has become such a nerve wracking problem, <Grrrrrrrr> it's getting harder and harder to control my temper, and not ........(well, you know the thoughts
    that run through ones head when frustrated past your point of endurance.)

After logging back on to Windows XP, I get a Microsoft message saying the system has recovered from a serious error, and ask that I send a report to MS. When I send the report, I get the same USELESS explaination:
    "The crash was caused by a Device Driver"
    It goes on to say they don't know WHICH ONE, and suggest that I uninstall each driver, one at a time, to see if it's the one causing the problem! When I take into consideration that the restarts are so random, (may not happen for 2 or 3 days, then may restart 6 to 8 times in an hour) and the number of drivers on my machine, it seems to me that this process could take weeks or even months, which is unacceptable! Is there no other way??

I've been told, because in ADDITION to the restarts, I get "freeze ups", web pages load very slowly, and many times programs "Have to close now" that I have a "WORM". I have downloaded so many "AVs", "spywares" "Botwares", "firewalls" and other software, that I'm running out of space on my desktop for Icons!

ANY help, thoughts, or suggestions?? If NOT, could someone loan me a gun, so I can put myself out of my misery! :)

Thanks to the "Computer Gods" for allowing me to finish this post before a restart hit!

RedHawk50

2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

first off turn off the auto restart feature

rt. click My Computer then click Properties then Advanced then Startup and Recovery Settings then unclick Automatically restart

this will give you more detailed errors after which you will have to manualy shut down.

also: look in your event viewer: rt. click My Computer then click Manage then Event Viewer.
    open the system as well as the application tabs & look for errors. click error line for details. post back the source & event id especially of errors that seem to coincide with a crash.

also:
    please follow owen's instructions HERE and then post your log HERE

3. RedHawk50

Thanks Jephree for the quick reply!
    I've already done most of the things suggested. I'm currently running AVG7, Spybot, the latest version of Ad-Aware, have the latest Windows downloads including sp2, have McAfees Firewall running along with Windows XP firewall, ect.
    I ran HijackThis and saved a log, however I ran it BEFORE disabeling Auto restart.
    Should I wait until the next time my computer restarts, before posting a HighjackThis log, or go ahead and do it now?

BTW, THANKS! to ALL you folks who have the kindness in your hearts to be here for us novices, and dummies.

4. jephree

5. RedHawk50

6. RedHawk50

Just had two restarts!
    Blue screen said A problem occured, Windows had to shut down to prevent damage to computer.... blah, blah,
    Tech Info:
    Stop:0x0000008E (0xC0000022, 0xF7703CE6, 0xF129F224, 0x00000000)
    Ntfs.sys-Address F7703CE6 Base atF769D000, DateStamp 41107eea

I restarted and while checking the event logs, it restarted again. This time no blue screen, just came back to windows login.

I cut and pasted all events from System as well as Applications leading up to both restarts. Should I post those here, now?

I also ran another Hijack This and saved a log.

7. RedHawk50

Here is the info from the EVENT VIEWER:

Under SYSTEM:

1:13;33AM

Source: System Error

Event ID: 1003

1:23:45AM

Source: System Error

Event ID: 1003

2:23:59AM

Same as above

Under APPLICATIONS

(Around the same time as above)

1:13:16 AM

Source: Security Center

ID 1800

1:13:42 AM

Source: Esent

ID 100

1:23:29 AM

ID 1800

1:24:01 AM

Source: ESENT

ID: 100

2:23:44 AM

ID: 1800

2:24:23 AM

Source: ESENT

ID:100

8. RedHawk50

Other blue screen said (basics) Windows shut down to prevent damage...
    Then, (This is different from the first one) "AD_POOL_CALLER"
    Then: Be sure hardware and software installed correctly, if problem persist, disable or remove new hard/soft ware.. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
    If you need to use Safe Mode to remove, restart, press F-8, ....ect.

Tech Info:
    Stop: 0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, 0x04860203, 0xE18C5BD8)

It's 3:00AM here, I'm tired. Will check back tomorrow, eh..later today.

Thanks again!

~Hawk~

9. jephree

Did you post your Hijack This log?

Did you notice this problem before SP2 was installed?

Any hardware installed that might coincide with these problems?

As to the WINS data base error try this:

start > run > cmd
    in the new window type chkdsk/f
    when prompted to run on boot choose Y & reboot
    this will check for & fix any disk errors.

Also you might consider scan now (requires your XP CD):
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Error code 1000008e = "KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M" - Most of newsgroup comments about this error point to faulty hardware or drivers. The hardware varies from modems, video cards, USB device to memory or sound cards. Sometimes it proves to be hardware that it is not compatible with Windows XP. Q310740 gives an example of this error occuring when and old Audigy sound card driver is installed.
    This behavior can occur if the WINS database is damaged or is missing from the "%SystemRoot%\system32\wins" folder. See Q225346 for more details.
    If this is the first time you have booted after installing new hardware, remove the hardware and boot again

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  10. RedHawk50

Hello again jephree,
    This Blue Screen message may be of some help. (I hope!)
    Said, Problem seems to be caused by the file:

Win32k.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds like we may have found something!
    To answer your questions, yes, I just posted the Hijack This log. The problem existed BEFORE I downloaded the SP2 pack. As for the hardware, this has been going on for so long, I'm not sure, it SEEMS that around that time, I switched from dial up to cable, brought a LexMark All-In-One scanner/printer online, and MAYBE added speakers, and a digital camera. All came as a bundle, but I didn't install those things right away.
    I know that's a lot of ground to cover, and doesn't make it any easier on you, but I'm hoping that last blue screen message provided some help.

In light of the new info, should I still run the disk check?

~Hawk~

11. jephree

That error basicaly repeats the above:
    This behavior can occur if the WINS database is damaged or is missing from the "%SystemRoot%\system32\wins" folder.

So run chkdsk; yes. Also if you have your XP CD the scan now feature might be in order.

Did you install any drivers & or software with the printer scanner?

With cable did you install a modem?

12. RedHawk50

OK, I ran chkdsk, after completing all 3 stages, a list appeared for a split second, then the screen went black.

It's been so long ago, I don't remember if I installed any software or drivers with the scanner, but it seems like I DIDN'T. Just hooked it up and it worked. Of course, since it came in a bundle, it may have already been loaded.

Yes, there is a modem that came with the cable, however, it was installed by my LAN's rep. and about all I know about it is, it has a button that when pushed stops EVERYTHING, incoming and out bound, but doesn't disconnect from the internet.

Ok, you say next thing is "scan now"? The disk that came with the system isn't Windows XP. It's by Computer Assoc., and says:
    BitWare for Windows 98SE/NT/2000/ME/XP.
    It also contains IE 5.0, Adobe Reader, RealPlayer, QuickTime4.0, and modem driver for Windows. Do you know if it has the scan now feature, or do I need to just run it and look around?

13. jephree

That is standard procedure for chkdsk. It did what it needed to & rebooted you.

I am not sure about scannow but might as well try if you are still having problems.
    Follow the above tutorial. If it asks for disk put yours in (whatever it is); see what happens.

Perhaps the worm Owen found will get you going tho.
    Let us know if you get the blues again :eek:

14. RedHawk50

Thanks jephree.
    I'm going to try the scannow. I will let you know how that turns out.
    I posted a new Highjack This log, but haven't gotten any response from
    Owen on it yet. Guess I just need to be patient. I know you guys have many other people to help with problems worse than mine.
    Thanks to both of you for your help so far.
    Since I make my living with my computer, be assured, if we get it running right again, a decent donation WILL follow. ;-)

Thanks again,

~Hawk~

15. RedHawk50

I tried the scan now, it asked for the CD, I guess I don't have it. As I said before I bought a new complete system bundle. When it arrived, Windows, as well as several other programs were already installed. Strange thing. All the cd's for the other programs were included, but the CD for Windows XP was not.

I just got another blue screen, said same thing as before. It said something about disabling BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing. Is that something I should do, tho I have no idea of HOW to do that?

Guess Owen just doesn't love me anymore. <grin>jk

16. RedHawk50

Hello?
    Is that all the help you can give?

17. jephree

sorry i missed your post yesterday :(

i have reread all our posts & only have suggestions to try.

first run the D-A-L Hardware Scan & post the results. i can then check your BIOS situation.

also go to Start > Search > Win32k.sys
    let us know how many finds you get & what they are if you can.
    these are driver files & as you noted from your first post as per microsoft all these errors are pointing to drivers.

also try running without your printer; scanner; package & see if that stabilises things.

also search your CD's & manual for an XP repair or recovery CD.
    all OEM machines are required to provide at least the basic factory reset CD.

18. RedHawk50

Hi jephree!!

You wrote:
    first run the D-A-L Hardware Scan & post the results. i can then check your BIOS situation.

I tried 3 times to get a hardware scan. I clicked "Scan Now". No prompt appeared, I instantly got:

The following report details the hardware configuration of your computer. Please press the Copy To Clipboard button and paste this info on the forum so that a Tech can help you. If you have any problems with this Hardware Scan please contact us.

All items on the report were blank. I will continue trying to get a hardware scan, and will post the report when/if I get one.

Search results for Win32k.sys

Found 3

C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$
    File Version 5.1.2600.1106
    Multi-User Win32 Driver

C:\WINDOWS\system32
    File version 5.1.2600.2180
    Multi-User Win32 Driver

C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
    file version 5.1.2600.2180
    Multi-User Win32 Driver

I'm going to disconnect my scanner/printer now, I will check back later.

Thanks again,

Hawk

19. jephree

You are missing Win32k.sys files.

I will search more tomorrow to see how you can resolve this.

I still will ask about what kind of restore CD's you have for XP?

& or the exact system make & model.

20. RedHawk50

I found the CD Recover XP (My wife had "Put it up" for "Safe Keeping"!!)
    However, when I got the prompt to insert the disk while running scan now I got an error message saying it was the wrong disk. The disk clearly says: RECOVER XP
    I opened D drive and saw all the files, INCLUDING Win32k.sys. I made a copy of the file
    but I don't have the knowledge to put it where it should go. :p
    By the time we finally get this thing running right, I'm gonna owe you a case of beer, 6 pizzas, and a redheaded hooker!(With Double D's, of course) :D

My "Puter" may suck, but I'M flying wild and free!

The ~ Hawk~