1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD/CD-RW drive disappeard

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Smee03, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Smee03

Smee03 Techie7 New Member

yea, i put a disc into the D drive, and when i go to my computer it shows that there is a disc in the E drive and says Roxio

2. Smee03

my D drive (dvd rom) doesnt read blank discs, sorry bout that stuff..i just started to get really confused

3. Smee03

wow i need a break heh..but anyway..i got the cd writing wizard to work, which is the built in xp burner right? it used WMP to burn mp3's, and it used itself to burn this video and it plays on my dvd player

4. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

yes, that is the built in burner.

when you're up to it i would try to get roxio off your system and isolate the drives for more tests.

or maybe you can work happily with the xp wizard?

;)

5. Smee03

i got rid of all roxio folders and programs and everything. except for a registry key which is from the one that was already installed on my computer

6. jephree

if it's clearly roxio you can delete it.
    tho it's always advised to backup the registry before altering.

just BTW here is a good cleaner that will also check the registry (Issues) for invalids as well as backup before deleting. Free too!

CCleaner

7. Smee03

well, its been a while since ive done any attempts to record and install a new burning program..i got rid of roxio, so all i could use now is the built in xp burner which sometimes has trouble loading files and burning..i tried nero, it found the devices, but it couldnt burn, it said problem buring at 12x speed or wutever, i lowered it to 10, still didnt work, so i got rid of it. and installed roxio 6, and it doesnt find any devices. so i guess my only choice's are using xp burner, reinstalling the system with the cd recovery disc from e machines, or getting new dvd/cd roms?

8. Smee03

ok so, i uninstalled roxio 6, then restarted..then "drag to disc" loads, which is a program from roxio..i thought i uninstalled it..its not in the add/remove anymore..the icon on the desktop is gone. but this program popped up..and now it finds my drives..and i can burn cds from it now..i dont know whats going on anymore heh

9. jephree

:eek: Ghost in the Machine :confused:

:cool: Cool it works! Thanks for the update. It's always good to know how things turn out! Let us know if problems resume; at least we have more clues. :D