1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD/CD-RW drive disappeard

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by Smee03, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Smee03

Smee03 Techie7 New Member

my dvd/cd rw drive is gone now...i burned a lot of cds one nite, im not sure if it was gone after that..but i cant burn anything obviously. it says theres no device. the dvd drive opens and closes, but thats all it does. anyone have any idea's?

2. Smee03

i go to add new hardware and it finds it. it shows the DVD RW drive with a ! by it and JLMS XJ-HD 166S with a ! by it too, and they say "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)"

3. Smee03

i tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that didnt work. should i check the cables?

4. varygoode

varygoode Techie7 New Member

Definitely check the IDE Cable. Also, I found this on another site:

Let me know about what works and such. :cool:

5. Smee03

which cables exactly do i check? my friend told me to switch primary and secondary cables or wutever.. i already checked just to make sure everything was in correctly..but if i needed to switch them or wutever..is it those big wide gray cables or those bundled colored wires?

6. varygoode

The big wide gray wires are IDE cables and they connect to the motherboard so the computer will recognize the drive. The multi-colored cables are connected to the PSU to supply power to the drive. :cool:

7. Smee03

ok well..i switched the cables from the cd drive and dvd drive..and they still arent working..last time without switching them i uninstalled and reinstalled and it said there was a problem with the hardware and bla bla..when it found the hardware this time..it didnt give me an error saying there was a problem..but this still dont work

8. Smee03

and i also tried unplugging the dvd's power supply and ide cable to see if it was power and whatnot

9. varygoode

Did you do the thing I have in the quote box in my initial reply?

10. Smee03

yea i did that last night, and was going to see if it worked this morning and it DOES..good thing you found that. now i need to find the drivers and such

11. Smee03

how do i get the drivers now? my computer says the drive is fine..but roxio says there arent any

12. varygoode

Well if your computer now detects the drives, you need to go to:
    Then find your CD-Rom Drives, right click each and on each pick Update Drivers... and then the wizard will guide you. :cool:

13. Smee03

i've tried that, it says it cannot update it because "there is no better match for your hardware than the software currently installed"..i tried to download drivers but since i "have no driver" it wont work...and i just e mailed emachines..(my machine maker) and they told me what to do to update them using the restore cd and that didnt work either..the next thing they suggested with a system restore using the disc

14. varygoode

Well then. Your computer clearly detects the drives and has the fully updated drivers. So what exactly is not working? Have you tried a regular CD in them and load it and such? What are you trying to do that won't work? :confused: :cool:

15. Smee03

they both load cds and everything fine now. just like they use to be. but my burning program doesnt find the devices. it use to until one day they disappeared..i uninstalled the program and reinstalled..but it still doesnt find the drives.

16. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

are you running xp?

just wondering if the xp burner sees the drives?

17. Smee03

yea xp home, by xp burner do u mean the burner that came previously installed in my computer? it came with roxio 5 and all u could do was burn cds, a month or so i got roxio media creater 7 which does basically everything and the original burning software is gone.

18. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

xp has a built in burner. if you uninstall all other burners xp should give you the option to burn. i have heard that it is pretty weak, but whereas i only use it a little i've never had the need for third party software.

anyway, just as a test you could try to uninstall roxio & see if xp steps in.

19. Smee03

it keeps saying that the cd-r isnt that im putting in isnt write-able or it is full, which is isnt full or scratched or anything. it seems like the dvd rom drive isnt reading blank discs or something, both E and D drives seem to be getting mixed up or something

20. Smee03

i can copy a video to the cd and when i put it back in it pops up with Roxio on top asking me to play or choose no action and whatnot, even though i uninstalled roxio