1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LAN Conection failed after installing softwear

Discussion in 'Firewalls and Networks' started by grintriumph, Jan 6, 2005.

1. grintriumph

grintriumph Techie7 New Member

After installing F secure antivirus,my internet connection has failed.
    Installed and registered OK but when program is fully operating it knocks of my internet conection.
    I get the message Local Area Connection 2,speed 12 mbsp,little or no connectivity.
    I am running XP, no other antivirus program,have tried using windows self help but to no avail it says unable to reconect contact your ISP,done that no joy they say it is a 169 reconect problem with windows,
    Have tried reinstalling no joy,the only I can get my conection back on is for to delete the F secure program and use system restore.
    Please help as it is driving me nuts!!

2. Jaynee

Jaynee Techie7 New Member

What is this F secure antivirus I have never heard of it. Have you got a link?

3. grintriumph

F-secure is an anti-virus softwear,there website is www.f-secure.com
    I have tried to get help from there site but I am still awaiting a reply !

4. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

Seems to be legitimate - it's a big web site. Is the package that you've installed just an anti-virus program or is it a firewall as well? Just wondering whether it's let you join a network connection but is then maybe blocking all the traffic?

Have you tried to disable Windows XP Firewall on each PC that's running XP in case that helps?

5. grintriumph

Hello,
    It is an anti-virus & antispywear package called simply F-secure anti-virus 2005,I have tried disabling windows XP firewall but problem still exists.
    For some reason the F-secure program is blocking and/or changed the internet settings,like I say have tried the XP self help guide to no avail.
    I do have spybot installed perhaps this can be conflicting with F-secure ?

6. Jaynee

Jaynee Techie7 New Member

Spybot never conflicts with anything. Did you pay for F secure or is it just the trial version? Are you on a network?

7. owen

owen D-A-L Team Member (UK)

Never been fond of F-Secure. Caused me serious problems before.

8. grintriumph

I paid for the 2005 programme on CD which you then install and register with F-secure via there web link,but after this is done and the program starts working,internet conection fails.
    No I am not on a network,the 1st time it happened I phoned my ISP company who then talked me thro numerous actions to reconect but all failed.
    They said it was a 169 computer reconect failure but would not elaborate.
    At present I have no ant-virus system installed.
    Like I said earlier I have to uninstall F-secure then use system restore for internet conection to work again.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  9. grintriumph

10. DJNafey

Do you know if there's any settings to disable the anti-spyware part? I can't see why your anti-virus solution would be interfering with your Internet connection but the anti-spyware bit might be trying to act as some kind of firewall service and messing it up.

11. grintriumph

I just clicked on a reply message in my email,supposedly from this forum,
    and I recieved a virus !!!!
    I have managed to get rid of it (I hope).

12. DJNafey

Any notification emails from this web site will appear from 'DAL Computer Help Mailer' and are extremely unlikely to contain a virus. If you're sure that your message had a virus in it, then we may have a problem with someone sending messages pretending to be from D-A-L.com. Please open the message, double-click on the name in the From field (should be DAL Computer Help Mailer) and that will reveal the true email address that it was sent from. This should be Admin@D-A-L.com

Please advise us what you find as we must act quickly to warn members if someone is sending illegitimate messages claiming to be from this forum.

Thanks,

DJNafey
    D-A-L.com Moderator.

13. grintriumph

Hi,
    The link in my email is as follows-
    http:// www.d-a-l.com/help/showthread.php?t=14248&goto=newpost

When I clicked on this link my browser went haywire continuing to open pages
    of non existent web pages,as fast as I was cllicking them off they just kept
    multiplying.
    Switched of my modem opened task manager and ended all programmes.
    Swiched modem back on same again happened !
    Switched of modem again and used system restore to get back to normal,
    was it a virus ? or a fault in my computer.

14. DJNafey

It does sound like your PC had a problem but I'm confident that the message from D-A-L.com wasn't the cause. It sound like you had a browser hijacker - this is something that corrupts your browser to tell it to load a different web site to the one that were trying to load when you clicked the link. If you can now click a link in an email and it works OK, then the System Restore that you did cured it :)

15. grintriumph

Thakyou for your help,all seems ok now,apart from the fact that I still cannot get this F-seure programme to run corectly,I think I will have to try and find
    a computer fixer near to home,it is probally something very simple but it has me beat.

16. AphJN

AphJN Dedicated Member

Grin, did you by the F-Secure Internet Security Suite or just he AV Product? the ISS has a firewall on it where as just he AV doesnt...I am just Curious. I used to use FProt which was the predecessor to F-Secure (Fridric Skalason was the creator of FProt along LONG time ago.)

17. grintriumph

Hi,
    It is just the anti-virus 2005 edition of F-secure I purchased,interestingly
    I have just installed a free anti-virus programme by the name of Avgnet,
    which seams to be working ok(tho does not appear to have an email scan section).
    It has detected 2 trojan horses and deleted them and my internet connection is still working.
    It just means I have paid £27 for what appears to be a useless CD namely
    F-secure

18. AphJN

AphJN Dedicated Member

Sounds like the AV version also has a firewall thats hidden.