1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems starting Sony laptop

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by Bear, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Bear

Bear D-A-L Elite Member

Computer Manufacturer: Sony
    Computer Model:pCG-FXA59
    Operating System:XP Pro SP2
    CPU:Mobile AMD Athlon™ XP processor 1500+ at 1.3 GHz
    Hard drive size:30 Gig
    Amount of memory installed:512 MB SDRAM
    Sound card:Vaio onboard
    Video adapter:ATI RAGE™ MOBILITY graphics chip with 8 MB SDRAM
    When did the problem start: A few months ago
    What you were doing when the problem first appeared:Trying to startup the laptop.
    Any new software or hardware installed recently:N/A
    Any other information you think might help: Here is what I have tried.
    (1) Removed memory from 2nd slot (no help)
    (2) Switched memory from slot 1 to slot 2 (no help)
    (3) Attempted to boot into safemode (nada)
    (4) Attempted to boot into BIOS settings (nada)
    (5) Attempted to boot to Windows XP Pro CD (nada)
    (6) Attempted to boot to a statup floppy (no joy)
    (7) Disconnected the AC power removed the battery, turned the laptop over and held in the rest button for 60 seconds (per Sony support) reconnected the AC power and tried to start it up (nada)
    (8) Did the same thing again except this time I put the battery back in and tried to start it up, once again (nada)
    I'm open for suggestions folks, at this point I have a very expensive paper weight so if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears. :)

2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Went to Sony:

PCG-FXA59

They have a pretty good support site actually. This was the first thing that came up as to "unable to boot":

"IQ Knowledge Base Article C277017

The notebook will not boot to the System Recovery CD.

SOLUTION:
    How to troubleshoot a notebook not starting from the System Recovery CD.

NOTES:

Sony uses generic drivers which will support most PC CARD ATAPI CD/DVD drives.
    The System Recovery CD should boot to any CD/DVD drive that is ATAPI compliant.
    Sony does not maintain any list of CD/DVD drives that are known to allow a system recovery and does not guarantee that any particular CD/DVD drive from another manufacturer will work.

Clean the System Recovery CD with a soft dry cloth to ensure it is not dirty or damaged.
    Confirm that System Recovery CD #1 is inserted in the CD./DVD drive.
    Reset the BIOS defaults.
    If another computer is available, attempt to boot from the System Recovery CD on the alternate computer.
    NOTES:

If the alternate computer boots from the System Recovery CD and produces an error, then the System Recovery CD is not damaged.
    If the alternate computer does not boot from the System Recovery CD, the CD may need to be replaced."

What happens when you try to boot?

Absolutly nothing? Or?

Was the LT working ok at one point? then suddenly not? remember anything about that time?

Sorry I have only questions & no awnsers (at this point).

HTH

3. Bear

Bear D-A-L Elite Member

Thanks for the reply jephree, yes it was working fine when I shelved it. I went to boot it up again after sitting for a couple of months and nada.
    Ok I can hear or feel the hard drive spin up with the computer sitting in my lap but I get a blank screen. I've also tried booting into safemode as well as the Bios using the f8 key (safemode) and f2 key (bios) and nada. Also when I put either the recovery CD in or a full version of Windows XP pro CD the Cdrom does spin up as well. Thanks for replying and if you have any suggestions at all I would really appreciate it.

4. jephree

Any activity on the screen at all? Or completely 'dead'? No BIOS POST?

5. Bear

Bear D-A-L Elite Member

Nada, nothing on the screen and no BIOS post beeps.

6. jephree

:eek:

Yikes!

The only time I've ever seen anything like that the CPU was not seated properly.

That's the "end all" of my thoughts. Hopefully someone else will figure something out.

Good luck ;)

7. chou

chou Dedicated Member

you tried contacting sony?
    btw whats nada?

8. Bear

Bear D-A-L Elite Member

nada = nothing :)

9. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

I have a suggestion. You say that it does sound or feel like it's booting up? Well, in that case, it must be getting past the POST I would assume. So, in that case, what you have is a display problem.

It's not a driver problem because you get no display even before it gets into Windows. So maybe it's the CRT/LCD button (usually Function + F5 or something like that). I've had that happen to me a few times before on different laptops. You switch them on one day and they think that they should be sending the graphics signal through the TV-out socket to an external monitor, hence no picture on your screen.

That may well not be the answer but it's definitely worth a shot. Make sure you cycle through the Function + F5 (or whatever it is) keys quite a few times as this isn't always fixed on the first go.

10. DavidCKing

DavidCKing Techie7 New Member

Bear,
    My Sony Vaio would not boot. Nothing happened when I pushed the power botton.
    The fix was the CMOS Batt. You can get them at www.allelectronics.com for $1.25 Cat# NMH-15. This is the correct batt. with the correct connector.

Dave