1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 98 Explorer crashes/freezes white screen

Discussion in 'Older Windows Versions' started by MrEd, Apr 4, 2006.

1. MrEd

MrEd Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows 98/SE
    On start up of my windows 98 operating system, under one specific identity, the desktop is a blank white screen, and Windows Explorer will not respond (at all). Can not even pull up the start menu. CNTRL-ALT-DELTE then shows Explorer as not responding, and will not respond even if this is shut down manually and tries to restart. No error message pops up or any missing file message, explorer just does not respond or funtion at all (under this identity)
    If, during start up, I press the "cancel" button on the log-in screen and use the default settings all is okay, although none of my programs or settings are available. Safe mode does work okay as well.
    I did create a new identity and can have custom settings which work. But can not get back to my main identity I normally sign on with (which also has all my pass words, email, and internet accounts tied to it). I believe the problem may lie in viewing the desktop as a active webpage. However I can not turn this off for the identity that has this problem, as I can not access any of the control panel as windows explorer is 100% unresponsive.
    Is there a way to access or turn off setting (ie active desk top) for one identity in safe mode or in another method?
    Or is there something else that maybe hanging up the Windows explorer?
    In attempts to fix I have reinstalled windows 98 overtop of the old. and also ran Spybot S&D and Lavasoft Adware. Didnot seem to solve the problem.

PLEASE HELP!! :confused:
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Operating System:
    Windows XP
  3. Dan Penny

Dan Penny Staff Techie7 Moderator

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    MrEd, if you're still here.... Sorry, I've been "away" for a couple of weeks because my 98SE system is "sick".

Let me start out by stating up front I've had extremely little exposure to the USERS functions in 98. Basically all the 98 systems I've either worked on or helped people with have been single user machines. As far as I knew all this (USER) did was save specific settings (screen resolution, desktop icons, etc). I've been doing some research (far from done enough to suggest much yet) and I'd like to pose a couple questions.

When you "logon" under the main or default user, can you "see" any of your things under c:\windows\profiles\your_user_name?

If you can, copy (not cut/paste) the user_name folder to the root directory of c:.

Post back with your results.