1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vista Boots but only to black screen with cursor

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help' started by PlatinumMoto, Aug 29, 2007.

1. PlatinumMoto

PlatinumMoto Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I recently installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 on my Vista installation now everything was working great before I did this and I didn't pay attention because it was late or early depending on how you look at it but I tried to burn a dvd with it and it crashed because it said it needed to be restarted before it could do anything I didn't restart. and forgot that I needed to until it locked up.

So I rebooted and my dvd burner was still lit up and then I cold restarted it again and the burner was still lit up so I unplugged it from the wall I went to load Vista and nothing happened it loaded the section where the progress bar loads then nothing no little vista symbol no sound nothing just a black screen with a white arrow and you can move the arrow and it shows that something is working because that little circle pops up next to the arrow and spins.

But that's as far as it gets, so I tried to go to safe mode same thing only a big white cursor.

I have a 22" widescreen monitor and it has been working fine just like I said but when Vista loads it now shuts itself off then turns itself back on to the white arrow.

I also have XP on my other hard drive and that's what I'm using now and for some reason everytime I load XP my display settings are 640X480 and I have to change them manually to 1600X1200.

I have no idea what to do I don't want to reinstall I have games, songs, movies, settings, files, everything on the vista installation and I can still access them all from XP. except the vista files that may not be compatible. Xp doesn't see those.

I'm tired of reformatting and reinstalling Vista.
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Did you try a System Restore from Vista Safe Mode options or Last known good configuration?

Wouldn't hurt to remove then reload your graphics card drivers.

Also remove Roxio software if possible.
  3. PlatinumMoto

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I tried to do a restore but there were no save points because of XP.

and the last known good configuration doesn't work either.

I can't get into vista to do anything I'm using my xp hard drive right now.

I'm just gonna reinstall again, I'm starting to think Vista isn't worth it.
  4. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
  5. PlatinumMoto

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Yeah I tried all that it didn't detect any problems so I'm just reinstalling it.
  6. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    OK. Sorry we couldn't help further. Hope all goes well!
  7. PlatinumMoto

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I compressed the drive to save space before I reinstalled and now it says ntldr is missing but vista never finished installing.

Should I compress the drive at all?
    or just leave it uncompressed?
  8. PlatinumMoto

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Also I did the install in Windows XP because it just takes forever in DOS or whatever it is. and it has worked fine before but it loads Vista installation and says please wait then does nothing.
  9. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
  10. PlatinumMoto

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I think somewhere during the process it changed drives and tried to install to my XP installation but couldn't finish because there's only a 1gb left on the hd partition.
  11. PlatinumMoto

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    No XP is on my 200GB and Vista is on my 20 and then I'm gonna ghost my 20 gb to a 500gb which is on the way.
  12. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    In that case, and assuming you have a retail version of Vista, I would wipe the 20GB hard drive then try to reinstall Vista Clean.

http://www.killdisk.com/

Whenever I install an Operating System I physically remove any other hard drives in the system.

Another factor might be your Boot Manager. Do you have a program to choose between these drives for booting? Do you use the BIOS?

Anyway I'm out of here for tonight but will be back.
  13. PlatinumMoto

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I did format it a few times but it kept saying it couldn't access the files and I think because I was booting from the 200 (XP) it was recognizing that as drive C: because in that case it was so it installed some of Vista on that hard drive, now my question is how do I remove it from the 200 without deleting everything?
  14. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Short of searching for Vista files and verifying they are Vista files then deleting them I do not know.

Unless your drive capacity is critical I would just leave it alone.

Otherwise you could do a Repair Install of XP which might clean up the drive but again that is not certain.

If Vista did install in any bootable form then that would be different.

Sorry I am not clear on your present condition here.