1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unmountable_boot_volume

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Alik, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Alik

Alik Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I have a Dell Dimension 8400, 1gb RAM, 160gb ROM, running Windows XP Home SP2....

Windows media Player kept not responding while I tried to play a video file, so I used Divix Player instead. Halfway through the movie, I paused and when I came back Divix played needed an update. So I updated and it needed a restart...

When I restarted I encountered a horrifying blue screen!

<blue screen start>
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x86781930, 0xC0000185, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    <blue screen end>

Also know that I've searched google and found nothing but crap solutions including safe mode. I am on my roomate's PC right now. I can NOT boot my PC in ANY mode. No safe mode, normal mode, last mode that worked. All of it gives me the same blue screen. I'm not sure if it's the divix player, windows media player, or maybe the movie I downloaded had a virus?

I'm searching through my computer disks right now to find my Windows XP disk.(not even sure I have one) I'll check with my roomate as well to see if he has his(or even has one). As his PC is nearly the same as mine.

PLEASE HELP! I can't afford to pay microsoft to help, dell's support sucks.

:confused: :mad: :eek:

Alik
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    The 0x000000ED suggests the following software recoveries whereas the 0xC0000185 is more indicative of hardware failure: either a drive or its' connection. I would first off see if you can access the recovery console from an XP disk.

If your Dell XP was OEM I am not certain if an XP disk will work but it is worth a try:

Otherwise:

3. madmikejt12

madmikejt12 Dedicated Member

it should have came with a full xp cd, my DELL computer did (about a year ago)