1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to update Java

Discussion in 'Latest Software and Security Updates' started by Ajp, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Ajp

Ajp Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi,
    I have been trying to update my java unsucsessfully now for hours .Im doing so as you recommend here on your site.
    the version i have is version 7 update 7 .
    The problem is i start the update package from java it then says install failed install interupted and throws up a windows error 87.
    ive tried running the program online and downloaded the program to run offline but with no joy.
    Also i cannot uninstall version 7 update 7 .
    Any ideas ? i tried running the java removal tool you recommended on my last problem but no good.
  2. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I am not finding where you got help with Java before. Frankly, Java has become such a security risk in recent weeks, I recommend everyone uninstall it and stop using it. Must users are finding they don't need it anyway. Go into the Add-on managers for your browser or browsers and disable it.

Homeland Security still says no to Java

What removal tool? Try JavaRA. If that fails, are there any errors?
  3. Ajp

Ajp Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Hi,
    Thanks for the quick response,its kinda taken me by surprise you telling me i dont need java? But whats it there for ?
    And still cant uninstall it ,but can disable it so thats better than nothing i guess .
    Below is the paragraph from my last thread where i was told to update java and use the removal tool you mentioned.

broni

Update Adobe Reader

You can download it from Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions
    After installing the latest Adobe Reader, uninstall all previous versions (if present).
    Note. If you already have Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition installed or do not wish to have it installed UNcheck the box which says Also Download Adobe Photoshop® Album Starter Edition.

Alternatively, you can uninstall Adobe Reader (33.5 MB), download and install Foxit PDF Reader(3.5MB) from HERE.
    It's a much smaller file to download and uses a lot less resources than Adobe Reader.
    Note: When installing FoxitReader, make sure to UN-check any pre-checked toolbar, or any other garbage.

=============================

1. Update your Java version here: Verify Java Version

Note 1: UNCHECK any pre-checked toolbar and/or software offered with the Java update. The pre-checked toolbars/software are not part of the Java update.

Note 2: The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial startup time of Java applets and applications. If you don't want to run another extra service, go to Start > Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click OK and restart your computer.

2. Now, we need to remove old Java version and its remnants...

Download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it.

•Run JavaRa.exe (Vista users! Right click on JavaRa.exe, click Run As Administrator), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    •Accept any prompts.
    •Do NOT post JavaRa log.

See why im a little confused?

Thanks
  4. tallin

tallin Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Please read the post Please read this at the end of my reply and give us details of your system so we can help you.

kind regards,