Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System recovery with an external CD/DVD drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by CarnageA, Jul 19, 2008.

1. CarnageA

CarnageA Techie7 New Member

My computer is a Packard Bell with Windows XP for an OS.
    I have a problem. Approximately a year ago I received a blue screen of death and had to use a recovery CD in order to sort out my PC. Unfortunately, it also destroyed the hidden partition which is responsible for system recovery when not using a CD.
    Now, I am trying to perform a system recovery as my computer is in an appalling condition: it gives me a blue screen every 15 minutes, it crashes frequently, playing games on-line is nearly impossible. However, my CD/DVD drive is dead. I tried to flash it but it still does not read anything. The partition is dead so I gather it is impossible to restore my PC without any external interference.

I thought about getting an external cd/dvd drive and using it for system recovery. But I am not sure if it will work. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

PS: There is also something called "Packard Bell smart restore" on my computer which allows me to reinstall the hardware (media; modem; monitor, vided). Is it possible to maybe get my drive back working by reinstallking one of these options?
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

First off: No you cannot load XP from an external drive.

Is your CD/DVD drive detected by the BIOS?

If not you might want to get a new CD/DVD drive.
  3. CarnageA

Right. It is detected in the bios under "IDE channel 1 Slave"

Note: my drive is not "dead dead" but "alive dead". On start up it attempts to read the disk in the drive for approx. 30 seconds but then the process brakes and it moves on to loading Windows. Also, if you insert the disk when the PC is fully loaded, the disk sign appears next to the mouse, it flashes a few times, the drive makes some noises but then it all brakes down.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  4. rokytnji

rokytnji Dedicated Member

When first powering up computer hit pause button to get which key to hit to enter bios. I think for Packard Bell its F1,or F2,or Delete. There is a tutorial on bios here: What is the BIOS and how does it work
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  5. CarnageA

Right. It is detected in the bios under "IDE channel 1 Slave"

Note: my drive is not "dead dead" but "alive dead". On start up it attempts to read the disk in the drive for approx. 30 seconds but then the process brakes and it moves on to loading Windows. Also, if you insert the disk when the PC is fully loaded, the disk sign appears next to the mouse, it flashes a few times, the drive makes some noises but then it all brakes down.
  6. rokytnji

rokytnji Dedicated Member

Don't know what alive dead means. From your description though the Last thing I would try is go to MY COMPUTER. Select Properties. Find your cdrom in device manager. right click on it and check to see if it says device working properly and click on drivers and see if they are working properly. If there is a yellow banner or red x next to cdrom in device manager that means somethings wrong.If nothing shows up wrong try the rollback drivers option maybe. Worth a shot maybe. Otherwise look on Ebay for new or used cheap cdrom. Sorry I can't be of more help to ya.

P.S. The Smart Restore option is also a good way to go as it probably has your drivers in a backup file or somesuch and will restore the cdrom that way.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008