Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVC host eating too much memory

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by smokinguns69, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokinguns69

smokinguns69 Techie7 New Member

I have this problem where I have a SYSTEM instance of svchost taking about 24megs of RAM... My system is a pIV 2.66ghz with 512 MB ram ...
    My CPU generally idles at 1-2%. However, when I try and run windows update the svchost starts eating up RAM and CPU usage shoots up to 100% ... I end up killing the instance of the SVC Host and this destabilizes my comp.

I have AVG Free 7.1.408 and it showed no viruses. Besides this I have windows defender.

I was reading up the post put up by derfasaurus on 10-10-2006 and its reply by Neal ... Seems the problem is the same.

I tried to implement the solution offered by Neal by visiting virustotal.com, however, I could not find spoolsvc.exe on my system (I have XP Home). Further, I downloaded ewido anti-spy and it found no problems with my comp either.

Please help.
  2. Kazna3

Kazna3 Techie7 New Member

Don't kill svchost it can damage your computer. Its needed for Windows to run.

Look here: http://www.processlibrary.com/directory?files=svchost.exe

24Mb of RAM is really nothing. I have a brand new XP installation on a brand new hardrive here with hardly anything installed on it, and I have four svchost.exe processes running at the moment utilizing 4.5Mb, 3.8Mb, 4.3Mb, and 18Mb = altogether at ~31Mb

So its very normal indeed.
  3. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

svchost is a generic service host tag. XP runs 5 or 6 of these. The largest one (usually over 24K... mine is now 42K) is the RPC service and XP depends entirely on it. Stopping this service will shut down XP.

Do you have any problems outside of Windows Update?

What exactly happens at Windows Update?

Does the computer freeze? Any error message?

Look in your Event viewer: rt. click My Computer then click Manage then Event Viewer.
    Or: Administrative Tools/Event Viewer or Start/Run/ eventvwr
    Open the system as well as the application tabs & look for red X errors. Click error line for details.
    Post back the source & event id & Description especially of errors that seem to coincide with this issue.
    Also check the Information lines that might coincide with this issue.

How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

Also:

As a first response you might want to post a HijackThis log for review by our Pros in that section:

Please follow the instructions HERE & then post your log in a new thread in the Spyware, Adware, Viruses and HijackThis Logs section.

(Not in this section please).

Please specify what issues you appear to be experiencing along with your log
  4. smokinguns69

Hey Jephree, (and Kazna3)
    First up thanks for the reply.

Here is the problem I face while updating windows
    When I click on WIndows Update it opens IE and gets to the page where the Active X controls check what updates I have and what I need. The green bar swoops across (sometimes it does not).

This is where the problem begins. The CPU Usage shoots up to 100% and SVCHOST starts eating up RAM. It shoots up to a point where I have very little RAM left (like about 70-80 MB). This is the point where the computer gets stuck on Windows Update (it does not hang though). I do not get another screen where it usually told me what updates were available for me to download. The other features keep working (albeit slowly) and nothing happens on the Update Front. It stays like this till I manually kill wuauclt.exe. The CPU comes back to idle (1-2%) however, the SVCHOST still maintains excessive RAM usage. It is reset only after I do a restart. (Earlier I would kill SVCHOST.)

Besides this there seem to be no other problem I have come across. In fact my comp is functioning just fine.

Event Manager Reports
    I have two errors showing in the event manager:

1. Source: ccEvtMgr. In Applications Tab. EventID - 13. Description - The description for Event ID ( 13 ) in Source ( ccEvtMgr ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: ccEvtMgr: Failed to load the configuration settings..

This i guess is a leftover from when I uninstalled Norton Antivirus though I retained Norton Internet Security. I uninstalled Norton a long time ago and windows update functioned later. So this could not cause problems with WIndows update (I am guessing).

2. Source: Service Control Manager. In System Tab. EventID - 7023 Description - The Application Management service terminated with the following error:
    The specified module could not be found. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. .... I have no clue about this error. This occured on the days when Windows Update did not work. After that I have not tried WIndows Update (and nor has this error occured)

Besides these two, I have no other errors.

After this post I will put up my HijackThis Log in the relevant section.

Awaiting Further Instructions.
  5. smokinguns69

Hey Jephree,

Thanks a TON for your help. VopThis in the Spyware Adware.. Section seems to have solved my windows update problem.

Thanks again. I shall make it a point to spread the word about DAL far and wide.

Arijit
  6. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Thanks for the update and the thanks.

Glad all is well. Let us know if we can help further in the future.

PM me if you want this thread reopened.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.