Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suddenlilnk modem won't work with Wireless router

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by woodcat, Jan 11, 2009.

1. woodcat

woodcat Techie7 New Member

I just replace my AT&T DSL with Suddenlink Cable internet and HDTV. We can't get the modem to work with the router and NO ONE supports the router. The installer told me he spent an hour resetting both his modem and router and finally got them to talk, but I've been at it twice that long to no avail. Does anyone have an idea of what to do?

I have a Wireless-B Linksys router [3 years old]. I need it to run the second computer [the wife's] and the third in the shop. I have no idea what to do next and I really want to eliminate AT&T and the phone line.

The modem will only run one computer he said and I really don't want to buy another one. A friedn told me that I could change the settings on my router by going to a webpage, but he doesn't know the address. I am going to try and search for it, but in the mean time if anyone has a fix I'd appreciate it if you'd clue me in.

Thanks!
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

The installer told me he spent an hour resetting both his modem and router and finally got them to talk

The modem will only run one computer he said

When one combines those two quotes it is a bit confusing.

A modem without a router will only run one computer. That is why you have a router or a router/modem which combine the hardware in one box.

In general you need to set the modem to "BRIDGE" to the router. How you do this depends on the particular hardware.

If your ATT system was set up to your router your Westell modem was bridged to your Linksys router.

The is the first time hearing of Suddenlink High Speed Internet DSL Dial-Up for me.

I am using ATT and have been looking for alternatives.

Anyway what exactly is the modem they gave you? They didn't just use ATT's did they?

Also your routers address should be your Default Gateway lised under ipconfig if the router is connected. My Linksys is: 192.168.1.1

Just put that in your address bar and Enter.

Also if you can post a detailed ID of the Linksys it would help.

Here is an informative board for these issues although I don't know if they carry your provider:

3.13 LinkSys Info AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ - dslreports.com
  3. woodcat

He was talking about his router and modem [at his house] when telling me how to set up mine. I did what he told me to do but nothing has changed. I thought I might be able to reset the modem, but I can only access the internet with the new modem connected without the router.

I have a Toshiba modem...it's connected now without the router and working fine, so I can't read the number on it. I am guessing I need to reconnect the router so I can get the ipconfig reset.
  4. jephree

Generally the Router will automatically set its' address.

The basic issue (in most cases) is setting the modem to Bridge.

A Service Provider will not have this setup and most in general will not support help. AT&T'BellSouth didn't/wouldn't.

Looking up the modem manual would be the best step in my opinion. Look for how to set the modem to a Bridge state.
  5. woodcat

Thanks...I'll give that a search and see what I can find.
  6. woodcat

OK...called up the old AT&T connection and got into the router settings.

Here's what it says...

PPPoe connection type
    16 charachter password [no idea what it really is]
    Connect on demand
    Local 192.168.1.1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    DHCP enable
    Ranger 192.168.1.100-149
    Ip address 70.250.188.6
  7. jephree

Again I think you need to focus on the modem and not the router.

This is all I can come up with for Toshiba modems without knowing the exact model ID:

Toshiba Network Products : Support
  8. woodcat

I found the model number [PCX 2500] and the website last nite but nothing jumped out at me on that page. I never did get a setup disk of any kind, the installer said I didn't need one. But without that I don't know how to change any settings that might need adjusting.
  9. woodcat

Talked to Suddenlink again and found out I have an older used modem. Told them that wasn't going to fly so they are letting me trade it in tomorrow for a new model at one of the their offices in Dallas. Everyone I've talked to says the modem should work with my router no problem, so maybe with a new one it'll work.