1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Start Button Won't Open Start Menu

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help' started by arrowhead64, Aug 25, 2007.

1. arrowhead64

arrowhead64 Techie7 New Member

hi everyone, so i after i minimize my screen from a game the start button for the menu wont open. i can press the windows button to open the menu just fine, but i cant click it. i know this isnt a drastic problem but it sure is annoying. i dont have a gaming mode on my keyboard like the other guy who had this problem and posted about it so i was just wondering if anyone had a solution. thanks alot!
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Does the start button work otherwise? e.g. not minimizing out of games.
  3. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    Can you right-click on it? What if you hit Ctrl-Esc?
  4. arrowhead64

arrowhead64 Techie7 New Member

the start button does work normally before i minimize the game. after minimizing it, right clicking the icon has no effect although all of the short cuts like the windows button and ctrl+esc work. its just really annoying that i cant right click it.
  5. Digerati

Digerati Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Operating System:
    Windows 8
    I sure don't know what's happening here, and it would be annoying for me too. What happens if you maximize the game? Does the start button then function properly?

What game?

Have you scanned for malware? See Cleaning Out Malware.

There are two other options I can think of. Running SFC or do a System Restore. In Vista, to run SFC, you have to open a "cmd" Window and "run as Admin". Then when the window comes up, enter: sfc /scannow and let it run.

If that does not work, you might try running System Restore to a point in time before the problem started.
  6. jakeyeager

jakeyeager Techie7 New Member

did you try left clicking it?