Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Resolved] Vista start-up problems

Discussion in 'Spyware, Adware, Viruses and Malware Removal' started by infectedknit, Jun 2, 2009.

1. infectedknit

infectedknit Techie7 New Member

Alright, well I was reading your forums and a topic by rontay sounded very similar to mine, but it didn't ever get an answer, so I thought I'd make a topic myself.

Anyways, well whenever I try and load my computer normally, it starts off kinda sluggish. Then, once it gets to the screen where it has the "loading" thing (the box with the line going around it) it gets past that, and then goes to a black screen. No matter how long I wait, it won't budge.

Next, I tried running under Safe Mode, and I could actually get it. However, it gets stuck at a file kinda like ........\crcdisk.(exe?)

I google'd around about this, but couldn't find a definate answer, and so thought I'd ask you.

I do not have the restore disk, or the vista cd's (or atleast I misplaced them, so that doesn't help me).

---Any suggestions?
    :hang:
  2. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

If you could, would you provide the exact file name and path? Also what is your system information. Please answer the questions below. Also please provide the thread that you said is similar. Let me get this correct: your system freezes is safe mode? Have you tried last know good configuration?
  3. broni

broni Malware Annihilator Techie7 Moderator Head Security

Getting stuck at crcdisk.exe file may indicate hard drive problem.

Run hard drive diagnostics: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
    Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
    Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
    If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: The Official ImgBurn Website to burn .iso file to a CD, and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, which is not listed, try using Hitachi tools.
  4. infectedknit

No, it doesn't freeze in safe mode, it just freezes while loading the safe mode, on the file I said earlier, crcdisk.exe. It, after awhile, loads it though. Yes, I tried running that, and the first time it didn't work, as the computer messed up again. The second time I did this, it worked, and now I can still run my computer, it just is very sluggish and iTunes as well as Internet Explorer don't want to work. Internet Explorer
    just quits working after trying to load the homepage, and iTunes won't come up at all.

--My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, and I believe I stated the software involved. I didn't have any major updates before it started having problems.
    --3.00 GB of RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz 2.39GHz (copied from the System page)
    --I do not believe it has more than one OS on my computer.
    --I have tried running about five different virus scans, and none of them coming up with anything. I have tried system restoring back to May 28th (much before any of this started happening). I have also ran UniBlue DriverScanner, and it came up with a Intel(R) 2 Gigabit Network Connection adapter out of date (I tried to update and it said it was up to date though) On a side note, I installed a program called PLAYXPERT, and it did something to a driver, I'm not sure what. This was about two-three weeks before any of these problems happened, but you said to say anything at all.

I did not know how to use any of the driver programs someone suggested to me. Any help with that? Also, how do I check what brand of Hard Drive I'm using?
  5. broni

What's computer brand, and model?

Also....
    Download, and install Everest: |MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 Download
    Open it.
    In left pane expand Computer folder.
    Click once on Summary
    It should tell you.
  6. infectedknit

The Computer Brand is Intel (Well, actually it might be XPS). I know the motherboard is Intel, but on the outside it says XPS.

As well, under Storage, it says that it's Intel, unless I'm reading this wrong.
  7. broni

Click once on Summary
    In upper menu, go Report>Quick Report-Summary
    Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
    Don't include anything under the line Debug - PCI
  8. infectedknit

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
    Homepage Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management
    Report Type Quick Report
    Computer TIMOTHYDILLINGE
    Generator Koerhijo
    Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition 6.0.6002 (WinVista Beta)
    Date 2009-06-02
    Time 18:45

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition
    OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name TIMOTHYDILLINGE
    User Name Koerhijo

Motherboard:
    CPU Type 2x , 2400 MHz (7 x 343)
    Motherboard Name Dell Dell XPS420
    Motherboard Chipset Unknown
    System Memory 3072 MB
    BIOS Type Phoenix (03/27/08)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT
    Monitor Dell SE198WFP(Analog) [NoDB] (7373182T33DM)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:
    SCSI/RAID Controller A11M2G1V IDE Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID Controller
    SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
    Disk Drive ST3320620AS
    Disk Drive DELL USB HS-CF Card USB Device
    Disk Drive DELL USB HS-xD/SM USB Device
    Disk Drive DELL USB HS-MS Card USB Device
    Disk Drive DELL USB HS-SD Card USB Device
    Optical Drive GHCDYLQ 49ER01I3S1IV SCSI CdRom Device
    Optical Drive GHCDYLQ 49ER01I3S1IV SCSI CdRom Device
    Optical Drive TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653B
    SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
    C: (NTFS) 289835 MB (206357 MB free)
    D: (NTFS) 15359 MB (11232 MB free)
    Total Size 298.0 GB (212.5 GB free)

Input:
    Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
    Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
    Mouse HID-compliant mouse
    Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
    Network Adapter Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
    Network Adapter Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection (192.168.0.68)
    Modem Conexant D850 PCI V.92 Modem

Peripherals:
    Printer Adobe PDF
    Printer HP Photosmart C6100 series fax
    Printer HP Photosmart C6100 series
    Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2935 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2936 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2937 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2938 [NoDB]
    USB1 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2939 [NoDB]
    USB2 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A [NoDB]
    USB2 Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293C [NoDB]
    USB Device CAB-200
    USB Device Dell Wireless 355C Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR Module
    USB Device Generic USB Hub
    USB Device USB Composite Device
    USB Device USB Human Interface Device
    USB Device XPS MiniView
  9. broni

It's Seagate brand.
  10. infectedknit

Ah, alright. I still don't quite understand how to run the programs on the website you linked to me.
  11. townsbg

townsbg Senior Member

If you did not have this problem before installing SP 2 then I would uninstall it. From the control panel --> programs and features --> view installed updates. Find the entry that says "service pack for microsoft windows (kb948465)" right click and select uninstall. Give it approval or provide an administrator password. Hopefully that will correct your problem.

@broni: why does it say directx 9?
  12. broni

13. broni

I just checked. It's straight .iso file, not zipped.
  14. infectedknit

Alright, I followed the instructions to that, and when I went to load it, it started like it should, and for like a split second gave me an option to hit F5 or F8, then removes that and shows me an error message (or maybe it was the results...)

getFATblock failed: 0x000000e8

Invalid Opcode at 03A0 0000 1002 0262 0008 0000 2142 2134 214E 0262 1065 0018 053

Now what?
  15. broni

There is only one hit about the above error, and they suggest turning off AHCI, or/and RAID in the BIOS.
  16. broni

BTW...AHCI - Advanced Host Controller Interface
  17. infectedknit

Thanks, I disabled that and now it's running. The first quick scan said it passed with zero errors etc, I'm currently running the longer scan as of now. (Posting this on a different computer)
  18. broni

Very good, let's see what happens...
  19. infectedknit

Alright, I have about completed the scan. Where will the results be at?
  20. broni

There are no results, if no error(s) found.
    If the program found any errors, it'd tell you.