Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing RAID setup

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by jonowyke, Mar 8, 2008.

1. jonowyke

jonowyke Techie7 New Member

My computer's hard drive is set up for RAID, although I have just the one drive. I have installed another hard drive used only for data storage, but can't make it work without removing the RAID setup. I am having difficulty doing this, so I am appealing for help, preferably in easy-to-understand steps. Any help would be really welcome.
    jonowyke.
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

You need to reinstall.

Do you need help in doing that?

Are you going to redo a new RAID setup?

---
    Upon further review I do find this one example of possibly adding the new drive to the existing RAID (depending on how that is setup already):

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=830&page=5
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2008
  3. jonowyke

HI jephree,
    I need to install a second SATA data drive without RAID. Yes, i can reinstall Windows.
    I assume that the BIOS needs to be altered first, and then reinstall. I have downloaded a driver from the motherboard folk (ASUS) and made a floppy as instructed. Because I have been fiddling about with this problem for weeks without getting anywhere, I don't wish to reinstall Windows with all its hassle unless I have a chance of cracking the problem, so that's why i would like some help.Thank tou for replying.
    jonowyke
  4. jephree

Here is a good guide to a Clean Install:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

You will need to press F6 at the prompt to load SATA drivers.

You will soon afterwards be asked to insert your floppy.

Everything else is fairly straight forward.

I would Clean Install on your old drive first then add the new drive afterwards.

You will then just need to go to Disk Management and format the new drive.

Let us know if we can help further.
  5. jonowyke

Hi Jephree,
    Due to family commitments, I have not replied straight away,
    It is the BIOS part i domnot understand and on which i would like advice.
    I have re-installed Windows many times in the past and the RAID setup stays as it was. its what I do before the re-install that foxes me. Sorry if this sounds confusing.
    jonowyke.
  6. jephree

If you tell the XP Setup to format the entire hard drive it should remove all data.

Make sure you remove all partitions.

You can also try doing it first outside of XP with Gparted:

GParted

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway if you use GParted: Save this download:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparted/gparted-livecd-0.3.4-11.iso?modtime=1197927842&big_mirror=0

This is an ISO file. You will need an ISO burning program to burn it. It cannot be burnt as data as it is an image.

If you use Nero there is an option called "Create Disk Image".

If you do not have Nero you can use this free program:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

This will add the burning option to your right click options or shell.

With Nero just point it to the downloaded ISO. With the other recorder just right click the ISO and choose Burn Disk Image.

A new blank CD is required.

After the burn this CD will be a boot disk and will boot GParted.

Verify that your CD drive is set to boot prior to the hard drive and boot the CD.

There are some basic tutorials on the functions and use of GParted here:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
  7. jonowyke

Many thanks Jephree.
    I seem to have caused a bit of confusion here, as I have done the complete format before but the RAID config stays put. It is the RAID bit that I want removed, so that I can just have two SATA drives. How do I alter the BIOS, and should I move the drive connectors to the non-RAID sockets before or after the format?
    Jonowyke.
  8. jephree

I understand what you are saying.

I seriously doubt that you have a hardware RAID especially on a single drive it would not be possible.

That being said a format will remove it. You must delete all partitions.

Did you try GParted?

Do not add the second drive until you have reinstalled XP.

If GParted does not work (don't know why it wouldn't) you can use Kill Disk:

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm
  9. jonowyke

Hello!
    Thank you for your reply.
    May I describe my problem in detail? I have a 3-year old Mesh 3500 computer with an ASUS A8V DL motherboard. The hard drive ports are RAID SATA 1 & 2 and SATA 1 & 2. The hard drive is connected to RAID SATA 1 but as you mentioned, is not RAID configured. I tried connecting the drive to SATA 1 but had no success. It is from this point that I need direction. Do I format the drive, alter the BIOS from RAID to IDE,(seems the only alternative) and re-install WinXP - or am I on the wrong track? I am not interested in any RAID setup, just two ordinary data drives.
    Thank you, Jonowyke
  10. jephree

That motherboard manual is here:

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/a8v-deluxe/e1878_a8v_deluxe.pdf

Enter the BIOS Setup

Go to Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration

Set the Onboard Promise Controller to Disabled

Boot the GParted CD. Delete all partitions. Format NTFS.

Boot the XP CD and install.

You will need the SATA drivers on a floppy if you are installing to a SATA drive.

Disconnect any other hard drives during this process.
  11. jonowyke

Again, thanks for your Quick responnse. I have not found aSATA driver for the floppy disc you said I would need. Any ideas?
    Jonowyke
  12. jephree

13. jonowyke

Hello,
    i applied for your help some time back, but for family help reasons was not able to jmplement your advice. i have now put your advice into practice and have a partial success. I seem to have got rin of my RAID config. and have my original drive working on SATA !, but when I connect my new drive to SATA " the machine won't boot. It says that it can't find a hard drive. but when i disconnect the new drive all is OK again.
    I just hope i have replied in the dight place, so I hope to hear from you again.
    Jonowyke.
  14. jephree

I am not sure what you mean by SATA ! & SATA "

I will assume these are different SATA channels? Such as SATA 0 or SATA 1 or SATA 2 etc.

One thing to check is in your BIOS for the hard drive Boot Menu.

Verify that your hard drive with XP installed is listed as the first boot channel.

Also again verify that the RAID controller is disabled in the BIOS.
  15. jonowyke

Hello again,
    I should have edited my message!
    My motherboard has two SATA RAID sockets and two SATA sockets. the HD was connected to SATA RATD 1. Now I have managed to make it work connected to SATA 1, after following your instructions.
    The RAID controller has been disabled. The BIOS has always puzzled me as from the beginning it didn't detect any hard drives, but seeing that everything worked I ignored it.
    Back to the main problem! I connected the second HD to SATA 2 and that is when the computer couldn't find any HD and wouldn't boot. No hard drive was listed in the BIOS boot priority. After disconnecting the second drive, all was well again.
    Thank you for your quick response and I apologise for not correcting my spelling.
    Jonowyke.