Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removed corrupted audio driver, do I need it back?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Apocalidiot, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Apocalidiot

Apocalidiot Techie7 New Member

I checked my drivers, and I found that Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver has this message: Device status: A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality.

When someone signed on or off AIM, my computer would beep. Now that I have removed the driver, it plays the sound. If a window pops up that usually makes a noise, it beeps in my computer AND my speakers...

I did a system restore checkpoint before I removed it. How would I get it back? Do I need it back? That's the Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver.

Any help appriciated.
  2. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

If you want it back:

Did you try the System Restore?

Try visiting www.windowsupdate.com and selecting the 'Custom' button to check for updates. Once finished checking, on the left-hand menu there is a 'Hardware, Optional' type link. There could possibly be a driver update for the 'Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver'. If there is, mark the check box next to it for download, and then 'Review and install updates'.

I am uncertain from your post if you are having any audio problems? Are you saying there is a difference between the beep & the sound? Between the noise & the beep? And that the computer speaker beeps as well?

Have you added a sound card or do you have the standard onboard audio?

Also check you status via: Start/Run/ dxdiag | Sound.

If you want to reload the computer's audio driver what is the make & model of the computer?
    The manufacturer will have the drivers on their web site.
  3. Apocalidiot

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

If I go to the desktop and type T (to find a file with the first letter of T) and I type Y on accident (when theres no files with Y in the beginning), it beep THROUGH the tower, and out of the speakers. The beeping sounds exactly the same.

The beeping is the only audio problem I have, everything else works good.

What is the Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver for? I have it removed and it seems all my programs are running alright.

I downloaded the Realtek audio driver, but I don't know if I need it. Everything works ok, but I'm wondering if I need the driver back (the Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver).

I ran dxdiag and all the sounds work.
  4. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

As I understand it the Microsoft WINMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver would only appear if your audio driver was not compatible with your system.

It might have been installed with a previous driver & was subsequently no longer needed.

I do see it associated alot with Realtek devices.

If you needed it it would appear in Windows Update as described above.

Sounds like your tower speaker is getting some crossover from windows. Usually the tower speaker would only sound outside of windows.

If you have a newer driver for your audio device you might as well uninstall the old & then install the new.
  5. Apocalidiot

Alright, you've been a great help jephree. Thank you very much. :)