Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

puzzling wifi problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Help' started by gps420, Nov 3, 2012.

1. gps420

gps420 Techie7 New Member

hi, i am having a problem with my dell inspiron 1721 laptop running vista 32 os. i cannot connect to my router with this laptop with wifi now but i have been able to connect with no problems for 3 years. the laptop connects fine to my brother's router upstairs with no problems and all my other wireless devices connect to my router. i do have an idea of what is going on but not how to fix it. my router is using wep encryption because i have an older wireless adapter for something and the best encryption it supports is wep. when encryption is disabled then my laptop connects ok but when its on it won't connect or if it does it says limited connectivity. most of the time it just doesn't connect and keeps asking me for the passphrase or key but won't accept it when i do. i tried changing the passphrase, unplugging my router, hard resetting it, restoring factory defaults from the web interface and un/reinstalling my wlan card. nothing has worked so far and not sure what to try next. i can't disable encryption because i live in an apartment and don't want my bandwidth stolen. oh, my brother doesn't use wep. i think he uses wpa but i don't remember for sure which one. that's why i suspect it's the possible problem. thank you in advance
  2. gps420

sorry, maybe this should have gone into the firewalls and networks section? maybe an admin could move it or should i just post it over there too?
  3. Ztruker

Ztruker Super Moderator Techie7 Moderator

Try deleting all existing Wireless network connections, then create a new one.

To remove wireless networks, click on Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center.
    Click on Manage Wireless Networks in the left pane and right-click and delete all of them.

Create anew one, see if that helps.
  4. gps420

hi Ztruker, thanks for the reply. i have already tried deleting the wireless connections and 'redoing' them. i even tried just manually entering the info in advance too but that doesn't work. i've pretty much given up on getting this to do what i want. i even tried a system restore to last week (i know it was working then) and still no dice. what i ended up doing is just disabling the wep encryption and simply disabled ssid broadcasting. better than nothing i guess. i might have to occasionally make sure my brother isn't accidentally milking my bandwidth though lol.