Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentium 4 vs. Dual Core

Discussion in 'How to: Building a PC, Modding, Overclocking' started by DivineZeal, Dec 6, 2006.

1. DivineZeal

DivineZeal Techie7 New Member

As of Tuesday, December 5th, 2007 at 17:18 my ASUS Motherboard was pronounced dead. She was survived by a graphics card.. and a case.

Basically, I'm buying a new motherboard / processor. I was informed that a good route to go would be a Duo 2 Core Processor by Intel. I'm going to try and remain with Intel, as I have always done.

However, I'm very, unknowledgeable, when coming to hardware. I'm not sure exactly what I need to get. It seems I have a "P4 3.4GHZ (800FSB) 1MB" Processor and a Asus P4P800-E Deluxe I865PE MB Motherboard. Looking at www.newegg.com I found two items I was considering purchasing, however I'm not sure if its necessary, or if it is even a upgrade. The sole purpose of my computer is gaming, and I LOVE graphics/performance. My gaming consists of MMORPGS (World of Warcraft) so I need good performance to compete.

Here are the two hardware pieces:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  2. Kazna3

Kazna3 Techie7 New Member

For sound/graphics, I'd check out this board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131071

ASUS is an excellent brand in mobo lineup if one knows what you're doing.

For gaming in general AMD is better than Intel. I'd probably want an ASUS Premium again thats supports the AM2 processors, the Athlon 64 and FX with an Athlon FX 72 or 74 w/Quad Cores. It'll keep you up there for at least another 2 years I would imagine.
  3. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

That's a really nice looking motherboard (I'd always recommend Gigabyte boards). It has plenty of expansion slots - 3 standard PCI, 2 PCI-Express and 1 PCI-Express x16 for a high-powered graphics card, exactly what you need, not to mention 4 DDR RAM slots, a single IDE port (for 2 IDE devices) and 6 SATA 2 ports.

Whether your existing graphics card will fit that motherboard is unclear however as the age of your PC means that it could be either PCI-Express or AGP (probably the former but not necessarily).

As far as the processor is concerned, the 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo will definitely outperform your 3.4GHz Pentium 4 for gaming. The dual cores effectively mean that you have two processors in one unit. That gives you twice as much processing power when your PC is dealing with two lots of data simultaneously such as sending and receiving emails whilst playing a game. Intel would have us believe that that means your PC is twice as fast, i.e. a 2.4GHz dual core processor is like having a Pentium 4 4.8GHz machine. That's not really the case as you only get the benefit of dual-core processing during those relatively brief periods when your PC has two lots of data to process. It does give gaming a boost though as that type of work is so intensive for the processor. In fact, the bottleneck in your PC a lot of the time is the speed / bandwidth of the hard disk. For that reason, it's best to mate a dual core processor with a SATA 2 hard disk for optimum performance.

I'm not disputing Kazna3's advice that AMD is better for gaming than Intel (games aren't my thing so I can't really comment). However, for balance to the discussion, I thought the Intel side of it would be useful :)
  4. Kazna3

Thanks DJNafey ;)

To add, a system is not just about a Mobo, CPU, GPU and RAM... but centrally about the PSU. Make very sure of a good PSU or the performance and longevity won't be much.
  5. DivineZeal

DivineZeal Techie7 New Member

6. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Power Supply Unit
  7. Kazna3