Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help computer won't work

Discussion in 'How to: Building a PC, Modding, Overclocking' started by Pip, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pip

Pip Techie7 New Member

When I turn on my computer it is just a black screen. I want to know if i need to replace anything or not and I need help on installing a western digital hard drive.
    Its a pentium 2 or 3 I can't remember.
  2. varygoode

varygoode Techie7 New Member

Is this a new computer, or are you just installing a new hard drive? Has the computer worked in the past? :confused:
  3. DJNafey

DJNafey UK site moderator

Does a power light come on on the monitor? If not, is it plugged into the mains and switched on properly? Is the signal lead from the monitor plugged into the graphics card in the back of the PC properly?

Do you see ANYTHING at all on the screen or is it really "just a black screen" as if it's switched off?

Does the PC make a beeping noise a few seconds after you switch it on? One beep or several beeps?
  4. Pip

Pip Techie7 New Member

It is a new hard drive
    the monitor turns on and works fine and its plugged into the graphics card the right way.
    the computer does not make a beeping noise but i don't have the internal speaker hooked up so does that matter. it turns on when I plug in the power cord on the back of the computer but won't turn off when I push the power button on the front of the computer.
    when it turns on the red busy light stays on
  5. DJNafey

Erm, I'm getting a bit confused here - this seems to be a 'two for the price of one' kind of thread!! You haven't fitted the new hard drive yet have you? The problem with the blank screen has just started happening and you haven't installed any new hardware or software just before it happened?

I know that a lot of people think an internal speaker is pointless when you've got 2 big speakers outside plugged into your sound card, but it's REALLY useful to hear the diagnostic beep codes when it starts up. Most PCs give one quick beep to say that everything switched on OK and it's going to load Windows ... but your PC might be trying to beep like mad to tell us what the problem is. Any chance you can connect the internal speaker? Without it, please pick from the following list of possible causes!

Processor voltage out of range
    Processor speed setting incorrect
    Memory faulty or loose
    Graphics card faulty or loose
    CMOS battery failure
    BIOS settings lost or incorrect
    Power supply problem
    Floppy drive not connected properly or faulty
    Keyboard not connected or faulty

So do you get a completely blank screen or does any information appear on the screen at any point. When you switch the PC on, after about a second, you can normally just about hear the monitor try to fire up and display a picture when the graphics card initiates and sends it a signal. Do you hear that?

To turn off the power, you need to hold the power button in for more than 4 seconds usually. This is an intentional design of ATX system cases that means you can't accidentally switch the PC off by knocking the power button.
  6. Pip

Pip Techie7 New Member

It says that the monitor is working check the connection
    I don't know where to plug the internal speaker into on the motherboard
    I have held the button in for about half a minute and nothing has happend
  7. Pip

Pip Techie7 New Member

The old hard drive was still connected when the problem started so i tried to connect the new one but don't know if I did it right or not
  8. Pip

Pip Techie7 New Member

got it to work now thanks for your help
  9. DJNafey

No problem :)

-------------------------------------

This thread has been Resolved and has been locked to prevent other users hijacking the thread and to help others know which threads have been Resolved and which are still being worked on.

If you started this thread and the problem returns or the case has not been properly Resolved, please send a Private Message to an Administrator or a Moderator of this forum to have the thread opened again. If you have a different problem, please start a new thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.