1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor stuck in Self Test mode!

Discussion in 'Older Windows Versions' started by DebLeppard, Feb 27, 2005.

1. DebLeppard

DebLeppard Techie7 New Member

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    My monitor suddenly went into Self Test mode and then into Standby and now I can't get it to come out of it. I have my Power settings on "Never" for Standby and Hibernate and Sleep modes. I have a Gateway Essential 800C with a Gateway EV910 monitor. NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 graphics card, 384 mg RAM. I haven't changed any BIOS settings lately. I tried clearing the BIOS and that didn't work. It won't let me go into CMOS to check the settings. I can't go into safe mode. The only thing that might have affected it is that I had a virus the day before. A Trojanhorse Downloader which my virus program found immediately and healed. But it was a system file. Other than that I don't know what else to try. I've checked my connectors, prongs, and ports. Any ideas?
  2. D-A-L

D-A-L Techie7 Administrator Staff Member Techie7 Chief

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Weird, have you had the PC open for anything like upgrading a card or anything? I know this is an easy one but any chance you have another PC you can plug in to test that monitor?
  3. patriotcow

patriotcow Guest

Ahh the graphics card I have which used to do the same thing! Its the driver, you need to get the xp compatable one from there website. boot into safemode and do it. If you can even see the boot up screen.
  4. DebLeppard

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    No I haven't had it open (before the problem started). I did hook up another monitor to it and it did the same thing. So I know it's not the monitor. I don't have XP, I have ME, and it won't let me boot into Safe Mode or CMOS or DOS or anything.
  5. D-A-L

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    Got another graphics card you can try in the unit? that way you can at least boot and troubleshoot...?
  6. DebLeppard

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    I thought about that. I have the standard Intel 82810E Graphics Controller that my computer came with. I have it disabled now because I couldn't get it to work properly with the Nvidia card. So I could just disable the Nvidia card and re-enable the Intel. I'll try that. Thanks.
  7. D-A-L

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    OK let us know :)
  8. DebLeppard

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    Oh, that's right, I forgot, I CAN'T get in there to re-enable the Intel. If I disconnect the Nvidia, I won't have any graphics controller.
  9. D-A-L

Operating System:
    Windows 7
    No but to disable your intel chipset was it done via the BIOS or a jumper on the mobo?
  10. DebLeppard

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    I disabled it in Device Manager in Control Panel.
  11. jephree

jephree ¨*·.¸ «.·°·..·°·.» ¸.·*¨

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    What happens now when you power on? Nothing? Beeps?

You say you tried clearing the cmos? Changed the jumpers on board?

Try removing the video card to see if you get any beeps.
  12. DebLeppard

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    I removed the Nvidia card, started computer, it went into Self Test. I tried to get it out with no luck. Shut down. Started, got it to go into CMOS. Checked settings. The Power Management/APM was set to "Disabled", just as I thought. Exited and was prompted to start in safe mode. Ran scan disk. Restored to last week. It finished restoring and rebooted and immediately went into Self Test mode and then Standby.
    :eek:( Stuck again.
  13. DebLeppard

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    Oh, forgot to add: 1 beep and yes changed jumpers on board to clear bios and still only 1 beep after removing video card.
  14. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    Can you repeat the steps you took to get safe mode options & choose boot into vga mode?
  15. DebLeppard

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    It doesn't give me that option.
  16. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    can you get back into safe mode?

or just for a shot in the dark try last good configuration first.
  17. DebLeppard

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    Yes, I got back into safe mode. By the way, when it's in CMOS, Safe Mode and on the Safe Mode menu screen it doesn't go into Self Test/Standby mode even if left idle for a long period of time. I tried Step-by-Step confirmation and made it all the way to the end before it went into Self Test. While in Safe Mode I tried to use the Power Management troubleshooter, but my mouse wouldn't work (cordless) and I couldn't get it to select the appropriate problem. So then I tried to go into Control Panel and it wouldn't go there either. I had it highlighted, and pressed enter repeatedly but it just sat there and control panel wouldn't open. Now I'm so frustrated I'm ready to enter a computer throwing contest. By the way, thanks for all your help and patience.
  18. DebLeppard

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    Format/Reinstall?
  19. jephree

Operating System:
    Windows XP
    I think the goal at this point would be get back into the Device Manager & re-enable onboard graphics.

I am a little confused by your term Self Test/Standby? I think what I call BIOS POST must be what you call CMOS ... then your monitor itself has a Self Test?

Have you an old mouse you can try?

Perhaps you can enter Device Manager via start > run > devmgmt.msc
  20. DebLeppard

Operating System:
    Windows ME
    When my computer is turned off and the monitor is left on, it displays a floating box that says something like Monitor Self Test...Your Monitor is working correctly...Please check your connections to the power source...etc. But it has only done that when the computer is turned off until now. Now it just goes into that mode at will. Then after about 30 seconds it goes into Standby mode I guess. The screen goes blank and the green light turns to yellow. I can ctrl-alt-del and restart the computer and I can hear it working but the screen stays in Standby. CMOS is what my computer calls the area where you can change system settings for the BIOS. It stands for Complimentary Metal-Oxide Semiconductor. It contains the memory used to retain the date, time and system setup parameters.